EPON 701 vs. Ping Rapture

Randy

I am looking at getting a very forgiving (GI) set of irons for the days my swing is a little off. I do like the Raptures the best of all the GI irons I have tried, but have not had a chance to try the EPON 701s, but have read nothing but good things about them.

For those that have tried both, which set do you like the best and if you wouldn't mind, the reason why.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you maybe able to provide me.

Randy

Hi Randy both are very good irons. I played the AF-701 for over a season and have hit the Rapture V2 J before. The Pings are VERY forgiving and easy to hit. They are however larger than the AF-701. They are not forged but feel pretty good and have quite a wide sole.

The AF-701 is not considered GI, it just happens to be super forgiving and easy to hit which is why it is the choice of so many different levels of goflers. The Rapture is probably aimed at mid to high handicappers while the Epon suits any level player including single digit handicappers who have bought the irons.

I personally chose the AF-701 for being forged and less chunky than the Pings but if you want forgiveness you cannot go wrong with either. Best of all both are built to spec.

as far as GI irons go the 701 are tops in my book. They don't look as big or strange from above while having a very modern look. Very forgiving with a super hot face creating major distance. Another club that IMO fits near that category are the new Honma Beres 2009 MG803 :tsg_smiley_crazy:

mg803large.jpg

I'm looking for a new set of iron and the 701 might be my choice. I have no clue on how it setup. My main question that would make me jump on them fast is how is it compare to my current gamer, fourteen TC 550 forged. Is the head size the same? Is the offset or face progression the same as my fourteen which I HATE! One last question, out of all the US retail irons which one would be similar to head size and offset. Thanks!

randy,

i have both irons, i have the rapture jspecs and the 701s. the raptures would be more forgiving in my book but by only a hair. but i wouldnt trade that extra forgiveness for the cleaner looks, crisper lines and smaller profile of the 701. plus the 701s are forged. either way your good.

but since you have the 301s, you may find the 701s pleasant and more to your liking

Thanks for the info. As I do a little more looking, although it is hard to tell from pictures, the 701s and even the MG803s seem pretty similar design wise, which could also equate to forgivenss, to the Callaway Legacy irons I am currently playing and may not be a step in the direction I am looking to go. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

The MG 803s look great, but with only being able to get 11 and SW in graphite pushes the $s past what I would want to spend.

Again, thanks for the info and look forward to any other inputs.

Randy

You can get any set makeup you want for the Honmas. They are actually more compact than the AF-701. Technology and design wise they are amazing but not quite as forgiving as the epon and ping.

The Honma is about the same size as the Legacy Forged.

I was under the impression that the Beres 7 series is more comparable with the Epon 701 and the 800 series would be more inline with the 501 if you look at the loft and size of heads. The Beres 701 and Epon 701 even sound similar since both have large undercuts.