PRGR GN502 Tour Driver Mini Review

bogeydog

Since Gocchin's original post, I have been intrigue with this driver. See http://forum.tourspecgolf.com/t28451.html for the original post and pictures.

Played fresh out of the box at Congressional Country Club, a US Open course.

Specs - All standard with the stock SR flex shaft. 10.5*, 45", D2 swing weight.

Looks - I know a few people probably don't care for the crown indent, however this isn't a factor in real life. In fact, I think it actually helps align the head at address, somewhat similar to the crescent shapes on putters or other alignment aids. No idea if this was the intent however that is how I see it. The shape isn't classic pear however pleasant without being overwhelming. As you can see in the pics, the face appears to extend over the top edge and onto the crown. This is kinda cool. It gives an illusion that that inspires confidence and does help align the face. This is probably one of the coolest and most useful design innovations I have seen in a while.

Performance - Here is where life gets surprising and exciting. I was concerned that the Tour version would be unforgiving and too low launch for me. Knowing that JDM shaft flexes can be weak, I also was concerned that the stock PRGR shaft wouldn't hold up. Let me start by saying DON'T be afraid of this driver. Despite the COG placement, it is extremely easy to hit. I mean really really easy. The face it hot. I knew immediately, it was hot. With the shaft setup, launch was too high and a little too spinny. However the shaft held up very well and I cannot speak poorly of it. Very solid for a stock setup. I know that a shaft paired correctly with this hot head, and it will be a beast.

Sound - Solid and slightly metallic. Not tinny, but not muted either. Pleasant and satisfying.

Feel - Somewhat corresponds with sound. Very very solid. Feels like the ball explodes off the face.

Conclusion - None yet, but super promising. I have a Motore Speeder VC6.0 sitting here waiting for install. I can only imagine this may be the key to bombs. I also think the GD EV series or Ozik XCON5 would be great pairings also. If I can lower the trajectory a little and the spin, watch out.

Edited by bogeydog

Played fresh out of the box at Congressional Country Club, a US Open course.

Its defiantly on my list of courses to play.

thanks for the quick insight on the driver.

B, you relayed my thoughts exactly! The ball does indeed explode off the face and it is indeed a very hot face. It's a fantastic driver and will definitely be amazing with the right shaft.

It is definitely a forgiving driver as even I could hit it! (^_^)

Personally I love the extended back face and I love the feel.

Are you able to work the ball? Do you think you might have benefitted going with the stock shaft and a 9*?

B, you relayed my thoughts exactly! The ball does indeed explode off the face and it is indeed a very hot face. It's a fantastic driver and will definitely be amazing with the right shaft.

It is definitely a forgiving driver as even I could hit it! (^_^)

Personally I love the extended back face and I love the feel.

Are you able to work the ball? Do you think you might have benefitted going with the stock shaft and a 9*?

I will try it today and let you know about how workable it is. Maybe I should try the 9* also! I was analyzing the club more last night and I think it really is a club that will have broad appeal and a many converts once it gets some public play time.

I think so B. PRGR touts it as an easy to hit club for the better player which does indeed broaden its appeal as in increases the different levels of players that can play this. I was thinking the same thing as you when it first arrived at my place... ah "Tour" model, must be hard to hit. I was shocked how easy it was to hit and how quickly the ball flew off the face.

I was also very confident swinging away with that recessed face/top line. (^_^)

Thanks for the review. I'm anxious to see how you like this set up with the Speeder. I have been intrigued by this driver since the original post, and the knowledge that it is easy to hit just reaffirms that this is a club I should try.

Thanks for the review. I'm anxious to see how you like this set up with the Speeder. I have been intrigued by this driver since the original post, and the knowledge that it is easy to hit just reaffirms that this is a club I should try.

I have the Speeder shaft being installed. Should have some info late next week.

• 1 month later...

So I bought this set up from bogeydog, 10.5* with the Motore Speeder and have had a chance to play a couple of rounds. The clubhead is much as has been noted previously, very hot all over. I've been able to get solid results from a variety of mis**ts. High on the face and the ball flies higher, but no balloon, just higher. On the toe, a shot I always try and rescue by getting really flippy with my hands doesn't lose distance but does tend to get hooky. The shaft is marvelous. Solid, nice nice kick to it, and as stable as they come. It reminds me of the Tour Platform series, with the stability improved. The only thing I can find to fault with this set up is that it won't keep me from putting a bad swing on the ball. If I swing poorly the results reflect that. Fortunately the more I play the better I swing. Oh and yes I did gain distance, depending on the ball I play I'm a few yards farther than with my old set up.

I don't find the head at all distracting, in fact even the giant half moon scoop isn't an issue. When I set up to the ball, all I really see is the ball and the clubface. Very attractive. I'll do a formal review shortly. post-1929-1246099178.jpgpost-1929-1246099292.jpg[attachm

ent=14549:IMG_0303.JPG]

post-1929-1246099371.jpg