Tried VJs glove under the pit drill

TourSpecGolfer

Ive been going to the range and messing with different drills and the one I found most successful was the glove under the left armpit drill that VJ uses very often. It cured my Irons pulling in an instant, my pulled wedge shots and straightened my drives a little also.

Has anyone done this drill? What has it done for you and what is the most helpful drill you have as advise.

Ive been going to the range and messing with different drills and the one I found most successful was the glove under the left armpit drill that VJ uses very often. It cured my Irons pulling in an instant, my pulled wedge shots and straightened my drives a little also.

Has anyone done this drill? What has it done for you and what is the most helpful drill you have as advise.

Chris ... I also suffer from pulls - one thing that has worked is placing your right hand on top of the left and hitting balls - this lengthens your swing and also helps you relieve tension - at least for me.

The pulls are terrible - I have suffered with it for the last three years until I started reading this forum.

One last thing alwaysw go back to the basics - club alignment for me was the biggest key - it was like I saw God. I was meesing around with one of my new irons one day in the Kitche where we have hardwood floors - I plased teh club in line with one fo the grooves in the floor and got into my hitting position and noticed like I had the club more open - actually it was sqaure instead of closed. A little thing turned into accuracy.

I had worked on a towel or driver head cover under the right arm to make sure I wasn't getting too far away from the body. I've never tried or heard of the glove under the left arm. I'll give it a shot today and see how it works.

My favorite drill that I always return to is half swing where the arms make it to the nine o'clock position at the back, I make a downswing and try to stop the arms before they get past three. It helps me feel the wrists unlock and rotate at impact. I catch myself blocking the forearms from rotating and it leaves the clubhead open to push or slice on the longer clubs. I try to work on this drill once or twice a week and it helps a lot.

Chris,

I've used that technique to insure that I "stay connected" It is very useful as it ensures that you swing with your hips and make a turn as opposed to using your arms. Another thing you can do is make sure while you are doing that drill make sure that your takeaway is correct. While I was doing that drill I noticed that sometimes my club gets inside of my hands too quick. Which means my wrists cock to early which means that I come down too steep on the ball. make sure the club head is pointing to the sky when the shaft is parallel to the ground. Good luck Chris, I hope this helps

CL putting one under your right arm just seems wrong. Doesn't that make you go really far to the inside on the backswing? That's shortening your backswing and I would think make your approach very steep. :D

CL putting one under your right arm just seems wrong. Doesn't that make you go really far to the inside on the backswing? That's shortening your backswing and I would think make your approach very steep.  
It kept me from just raising my arms at the top of the swing and promoted more shoulder turn going back and coming through. I saw it somewhere in one of those magazine tips and it helped with my consistency.

Its a good drill, I'd just be careful with it. There was a story in Golf World awhile back about how both Vijay and Jesper Parnevik got injured ribs doing the drill. I've seen it happen with others too.

You really don't want to go at it fullspeed, and some pros will even recommend not hitting a ball at first when you do it. You just want to ingrain the feeling and then try it with a ball later once you're more used to the motion.

When done correctly it can be a good drill, though you don't necessarily have to use a glove. Using a headcover or doing what Vijay does and getting a small Nerf ball will work just as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched some golf videos my wife shot of me while on vacation and boy was it ugly. My right elbow was too tucked to my side on the backswing. Having a connected feel is good for about 2/3 of the swing but for me having the connected feel went too far.

I need to get the club higher and away on the back swing then bring my elbow back to my side, turn through, and then seperate my left arm from my side on the through swing.

I over did the connection thing.

I hope you understand what I was trying to say.

Steve

• 3 months later...

I started pulling my short irons and wedges when I started opening my stance more. Hogan believed that opening his stance for the short irons would allow his hips to clear easier making for better contact, more control and accuracy. However, for me, all I did was simply come across my body too much because I have such a fast hip turn, I ended up yanking everything. Putting the ball too far back in my stance to counter act this resulted in popped up shots that didn't have the distance I needed. So I just closed my stance so the left foot is pretty much lined up with the right foot (just a hair opened), and presto, no more pulled shots.

• 3 weeks later...