Should I use graphite in my irons?

Takasumi

I need iron distance. I have a driver speed around 87-92, play to an 8 handicap but lack of distance on my irons keep me from hitting more greens. My 7 iron goes 130-135 and my 5 iron is 150-155. From the blues, I am always at least 150-165 out which puts pressure on my hybrids and long irons and short game. I can break 80 from the whites but I want to play blues with most of my peers. I am a smoother with Ernie Els like tempo, hit the ball straight with good distance control and can work it either way. I hit 9-11 fairways and take 31 putts or better. I am at the range 4 days a week and am always improving my positions and contact. I need to raise my GIRs.

Current irons are R7 forged with NSP 900xh and Cobra Carbon CBs with 950gh R softstepped. Driver has an Ion Redboard R and I hit it straight 220 or more.

Is it a no brainer that going to graphite irons shafts will help my distance? I hope to gain a club or more. thanks.

well based on what you mentioned about yourself i can say for certain that a lighter shaft could defintely

improve your distance. seems that the nspro950 is hampering your distance, before you consider graphite

why dont you consider a lighter steel shaft like the nspro 750? this will have the feel of steel and have a lighter heft. this will defintely give you more distance than your current shaft. if you decide to go graphite, there are many graphite shafts to choose from and pick something with the right kickpoint and flex ratings for your particular SS. thanks and good luck

When I put the NSPro 900 shafts in the R7 heads, the SW was about C8-C9. In order to bring them up to my Cobras with 950gh, I added about 5 inches (2.5 strips) of HD lead tape to bring them to D-1. This is probably about 10-12 grams additional I believe. Did I negate the benefit of installing 90g shafts? I will pull it off a couple of irons and see if there is an improvement. thanks!

Update: By removing the strips of lead tape there seem to be a noticeable improvement on overall work to swing the club as well as a potential for quicker transition and closing of the head. I 'perceived' immediate improvement to contact and slight distance to be very encouraged. My coach suggested trying different balls and a stretching regimen. In the winter we will work on power transition in the swing but not before the season. He is an Accra dealer and let me hit a sample 70i with a Wishon forged head. Lovely but not noticeably longer. I think I will not rush to re-shaft but will work to improve my core and stretching this summer.

Edited by Takasumi

OK, I have been enjoying my C9 swingweight :) and went to the demo rack for anwers.

Most of these heads are KZG or Wishon blades or forged cavities 7 irons. These MB blades are quite forgiving BTW.

I hit:DG SL R300, DG S300, Dynalite S300, KBS Tours S, Accra 60i, 90i, Nova Pro 80, 100.

Being 7 irons, these were all flying pretty high. I had warmed up with 2 buckets by then so contact was very good. Distance was essentially the same with each other but the clear winner in feel was my NSPro 900 R in R7 Forged. They kicked at the bottom, were smooth without harshness and accurate. I also hit a 6 iron Cobra S9 with Senior GD 55g. This was a super game improvement paddle with very soft shaft. Nice feeling and a tad longer but hard to look at. The 5i of this model was also high and a bit longer and high. I could not look at these as daily drivers. I tried these as confidence buildig 'hybrids' in my set for a while and eventually graduated to the 6 and 5 of my set.

Interesting. I really noticed how tight my iron shots were with the stiffer irons and blades. The game improvement irons were soft and a bit longer but less predictable. Perhaps gaining major distance from a shaft will sacrifice the accuracy of steel. Even a major investment into Accra 50 may not be a distance improvement over the Nippon.

Update. I will be installing Accra 60i sometime in the next 2 weeks, tweak the lofts and see if there is improvement.

Edited by Takasumi

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...