JDM balls vs US

Vineman23

Hi Guys,

As with the rest of you I'm fully into the JDM clubs now and am refreshing my bag when $ are available.

My question here is are the JDM balls as good as the JDM clubs?

I am currently playing the TM Penta TP, having played Callaway tour ix and Titleist Pro V1X prior to that, I was thinking of trying the Mizuno 501 and TS solid / mild when they come out but wanted some others experience with JDM balls first.

Thanks

Vineman

Hi Guys,

As with the rest of you I'm fully into the JDM clubs now and am refreshing my bag when $ are available.

My question here is are the JDM balls as good as the JDM clubs?

I am currently playing the TM Penta TP, having played Callaway tour ix and Titleist Pro V1X prior to that, I was thinking of trying the Mizuno 501 and TS solid / mild when they come out but wanted some others experience with JDM balls first.

Thanks

Vineman

ooooooh i love this question ive debated this with my mates time and time agn., imo.

YES.

my first foray into j balls, started with the mizzy cross8s . about 2 ys ago , close to that anyway. i liked them for a long time, took a heap back to oz with me played a lot with them they took over form tity pro v1s and i noticed a difference , they had a more stout feeling , but after a while i thought the blues were too soft and not very long and the reds too hard. with no feel, so went to the shop and bought a box of each of these.

titlesit granZ., srixon z star......,tourstage v10....., xxio premium brill..., super newing brill....., titleist vg....., nike black something.

after trying each i was convinced mr nicholas is correct and they DO make a big diference.

i hated the nikes they felt like hitting rocks. ran along the ground and made the club head feel like chunk of railway sleeper. NEVER again.

the titleist granz were fine ,pretty non descript. perfectly good didnt notice anything good or bad felt fine , didnt see a lack of distance and around the greens they felt very good. they were the balls we ended up buying when we were at a course and needed some setai gifts the nice cross arrow allignmnet tool sold us on them to be honest.

the titleist vg balls my buddy plays now and likes lot. he gets good distance they feel good off the driver face. i think they re prefly good but thats it .

the tour stage v- 10 are now what i thought the titleist pro v1s used to be , good to hit, great feel and good spin on the greens, but longer distance , that why i changed in the first palce the titys wre soft but i was giving up yards i felt. the tour stages i probably shud be gaming a lot more.

then i tried the srixons z star they became my fav very quickly, they have a more robust feel and more spin, i can feel the ball off the face of the iron quite distinctly , and on the green they back up nicely but dont feel like a wet sponge i love the hardness of the coat and the softness of the core. i played 6 rounds solid with these and and shot some great scores, i really liked them they are my back up selection if i cant get my all time favoutites. agn i probably shud play these or the TSage in matches

BUT

then i found the xxio and super newing premium brill balls..

when i subconsciously change all the other ball brands in my bag to these , i realise im onto something special

thast exactly what ive found here. and they last a lot longer than anything esle noticeably longer.

the reports tell me i shud probably be playing a more robust ball like the srixon or tour stage but i just dont and cant take these out of my bag. they just suit me to the point that i no longer notice what im hitting i just hit them every match.

oh......, one other fact u wont find on any promo with these.

these balls actually make u hit straighter, wait for it, YES ,YES it true. i know i use them and the reason is.......,

the cost of them makes u concentrate on NOT LOSING the bloody things!

if you want a ball to help you produce a straighter ball flight give BridgeStone e6 a try. found one and was pretty amazed at what it does, never thought a ball can do that. you can still work it and even hook or slice it but it would severely reduce any amount you put on it. probably not a distance champion but i dont care, i think people are so obsessed with distance these days its silly like they all playing in driving contests or something. works predictable with a wedge too and its midrange priced and i'm not talking JDM balls pricing here. unlike JDM balls it doesnt have any bling to it tho and dipping it in gold might affect its flight characteristics.

these balls actually make u hit straighter, wait for it, YES ,YES it true. i know i use them and the reason is.......,

the cost of them makes u concentrate on NOT LOSING the bloody things!

I agree with supo! Those Super Newing Premium Brill balls are expensive but you notice a huge difference. I felt a difference when starting to use them, but once you get used to them and when you run out one day and have to go back to your old balls. There is a huge difference! It will keep you coming back to those Brill ball! I will be devastated if they are ever discontinued.

The Brills have been huge in Japan, they were a huge breakthrough in the Japanese ball market especially on the distance side.

I've played so many brands and models but one thing that stands out for JDM balls is feel.

Drivers and irons aside, I always test a ball with my putter. I will put that ball pretty much 30 times a round, so how it feels and rolls off my putter is very important to me. I also feel that with the putter I can feel the most differences between balls. A cheap ball feels hard and harsh while a softer higher end ball is crisp but soft of the face of the putter.

Another key factor is spin, Japanese designers have worked hard to create dual activation type balls ie balls that spin low off the tee thanks to a higher swing speed activating a deeper inner core vs high spin around the greens from that same ball because the swing speed is lower and the ball reacts differently with more spin since the speed is not high enough to activate the low spin core.

For me finding the balance between distance and low spin off the tee, to high spin around the green and feel and touch has been the key for JDM balls and luckily there are many that do this in one package. The drawback is of course cost, but again, Japanese golfers are used to these prices as I'm sure supo is as well. I just hate losing a 5 - 10.00 ball so the key is to find the right ball that stays straight and in the fairway! (^_^)

• 3 weeks later...

Kasco made a great ball a few years ago, where they had the same basic ball adjusted to 4 different swing speeds. I really lieked that ball, cant remember the name now though (getting old?) Bute they were for slow, medium, fast and Tour swingspeeds. I had great results with the "fast" and the "tour" versions, excellent overall performance, and very long with decent spin but not ProV1 levels of spin. Kasco had another premium ball that was on the market for a very long time, the Silicone Power line but I never liked that ball even though I played with it for a while. Felt like I lost distance, and that it spun way too much off the driver and made me inconsistent...Even though it might have been all in my head!

Otherwise, speaking of the Brill and other "premium" Super Newing-kind of JDM golf balls I feel they are mostly glorified and expensive "distance" balls, behaving much like a low compression 2 piece ball. They go high, too high for me, feel "light of the face" and dont spin much around the green, medium spin at most. I guess they are developed for slow to medium swing speeds and for people who need to get the ballflight up and who want the premium look, they are beautiful for sure. I palyed the Brill (the first gen, not current) for a few rounds in thailand and with the soft fairways there it gave me zero roll with a super high flight. I currently play the Penta but I just got hold of a few brand new boxes of the TPred which is my all time favourite ball, but is not being produced anymore. I also quite like the B330.