Katana for slow swingers and oldies only?

Vegaman

I tried a friend of mines Katana Sword driver a while ago, it was with a stiff shaft that was way to flexy for me but i really liked the feel and look of the head. Im not looking for a driver at the moment, but i am looking for a new 3-wood, something that would be better than my old (very old) trusty Callaway Hawk Eye Titanium Pro model.

I saw the Katana woods, several different models too, while taking a stroll around one of the bigger Shopping malls in Bangkok the other day. Some in the slightly shouty but still classy enough gold/brown colour but also a few much nicer looking in dark green metallic, very nice.. The shaft looked pretty high end (tour AD) but they were all very soft in flex. The price was alright, but apparently they cant be ordered in anything stiffer than their super soft S-flex. So, it seems if I want a Katana 3-wood or driver I have to buy the club and immediately reshaft it which seems rather wasteful..Too bad.

Does anybody use the Katana stuff? Impressions?

Hi Vegaman,

Have a look at other brands we carry in the proshop then participate in the shaft fitting threads.

When you have some brands that catch your eye respond in this post and we can move forward to support your purchase from there.

Hi Vegaman,

Have a look at other brands we carry in the proshop then participate in the shaft fitting threads.

When you have some brands that catch your eye respond in this post and we can move forward to support your purchase from there.

Thanks.

Those shaft fitting threads seem like a very good idea, an excellent service from TSG. I will try it out for sure.

i had the katana izu max cor driver in 2007. looked really really expensive and fit for the emperor himself but like all club hos sold it after a few months but not bec it was ot good but something else caught my eye. that is when i got my first taste of epon and have never looked back.

also had the katana sword irons if im not mistaken they were the i33? anyway those were very good but only drawback was that they were cast.

i had the katana izu max cor driver in 2007. looked really really expensive and fit for the emperor himself but like all club hos sold it after a few months but not bec it was ot good but something else caught my eye. that is when i got my first taste of epon and have never looked back.

also had the katana sword irons if im not mistaken they were the i33? anyway those were very good but only drawback was that they were cast.

"Fit for the emperor himself" ha ha ha, great description! The latest drivers and woods are even more "classy" looking, fit for even the Jade Emperor maybe. The latest Sniper line is gold with a gold/brown misty kind of paint on the crown. I usually dont like it OTT like this, but they look good when looking down on them, and the driver felt good of the face. Thats why I started looking into the Kasco stuff.

"Fit for the emperor himself" ha ha ha, great description! The latest drivers and woods are even more "classy" looking, fit for even the Jade Emperor maybe. The latest Sniper line is gold with a gold/brown misty kind of paint on the crown. I usually dont like it OTT like this, but they look good when looking down on them, and the driver felt good of the face. Thats why I started looking into the Kasco stuff.

as a matter of fact i had two of them, the hi cor and the cor version. both were with the stock shaft, both were hand me downs from dad and if i am not mistaken they were around 1000$ at the time. the shape was very appealing and the insignia on the sole ala coat of arms makes it look very classy. they used to be quite big but seem to have lost some popularity. their old line of hybrids were very nice just on the pricey side.

as a matter of fact i had two of them, the hi cor and the cor version. both were with the stock shaft, both were hand me downs from dad and if i am not mistaken they were around 1000$ at the time. the shape was very appealing and the insignia on the sole ala coat of arms makes it look very classy. they used to be quite big but seem to have lost some popularity. their old line of hybrids were very nice just on the pricey side.

Your right about the popularity, here in Thailand they are still big though. But not as popular as a few years ago. The hybrids were kinda before their time in a sense, a good friend of mine still carries the "44" and "33" (?) long iron replacements and hits them very well, he´s had them for years and swears by them. They were very forward thinking and not afraid to come out with expensive and sometimes futuristic stuff. I sense Kasco is a bit more "conservative" these days. I remember thay had (still have) a rather weird looking set of irons that had a kind of teardrop shape and no hosel, it was like a whole set of hybrids but still not hybrids as we know them. Never hit them though..

Are we talking about Katana or Kasco now?

Are we talking about Katana or Kasco now?

Oops! Sorry, the mind wanders a bit! I was reading the JDM ball thread and got mixed up in my head!

In my head I was thinking Katana until the last post, cant understand what triggered the Kasco comments...I can see I suddenly wrote Kasco the end of an answer to Spoon, scary stuff..Was it Spoons mentioning if the i33 irons that made my brain turn to jelly? Better order a brain scan at the next health checkup?!

get a egg spoon, your problem will be solved.

I tried sword sniper once, just for fun. Seems to have really really high launch and really really high spin...

The look is luxury.

I prefer something else though