Yamaha V.201 driver

Vegaman

Hi

I had a look at the Yamaha V.201 driver today, beautiful compact shape and by the look of it very low launch and low spin. I usually hit driver with too much spin an very little roll. I was looking at it today in 9 and 10 degrees, and was wondering if I could get away with a 10 degree head after all..? I usually hit it around 280 and almost only pure carry, and would go for the 9 immediately normally, but I got a bit unsure when I saw it in person. Is this a very low spin head, even in 10 degrees? I was thinking the 10 might be a touch more forgiving.

Hi

I had a look at the Yamaha V.201 driver today, beautiful compact shape and by the look of it very low launch and low spin. I usually hit driver with too much spin an very little roll. I was looking at it today in 9 and 10 degrees, and was wondering if I could get away with a 10 degree head after all..? I usually hit it around 280 and almost only pure carry, and would go for the 9 immediately normally, but I got a bit unsure when I saw it in person. Is this a very low spin head, even in 10 degrees? I was thinking the 10 might be a touch more forgiving.

brilliant head., got aout 6 yamahas of all differnt size shapes.

the v 201 in 9 is low the 10 is absolutley marvellous for a bit more carry and workability

very forgiving and super easy to hit. length tho doesnt get sacrificed really just not that much run.

the 9 will go further with a lowspin shaft like the quadra FE

the 9 is a lot better for running the ball and hittin into wind the 10 is better for load shoot and carry.

if u want more roll and shoot 280 id go the 9. if ur SS is avbove 105 then th 9 will suit well.

i have a 10 in the tour 425 cc and 9 in the v201 model

the v201 has a stinger in it and that is a cannon ball express.

brilliant head., got aout 6 yamahas of all differnt size shapes.

the v 201 in 9 is low the 10 is absolutley marvellous for a bit more carry and workability

very forgiving and super easy to hit. length tho doesnt get sacrificed really just not that much run.

the 9 will go further with a lowspin shaft like the quadra FE

the 9 is a lot better for running the ball and hittin into wind the 10 is better for load shoot and carry.

if u want more roll and shoot 280 id go the 9. if ur SS is avbove 105 then th 9 will suit well.

i have a 10 in the tour 425 cc and 9 in the v201 model

the v201 has a stinger in it and that is a cannon ball express.

Ok! Thanks for the info! Normally I would go straight for the 9, but looking down on these heads I started thinking I might get away with the 10..It may sound weird, but the lofts seem very true on these drivers, unlike some other cases where you could swear the loft is more than what is written on the head. I also usually get a pretty good idea and "feel" as to how a driver will perform by just looking down on it, I know, very unscientific and a bit weird. The thing is that I sometimes struggle with a sudden bout of big fade/slice and was thinking the 10 will give me a bit more antislice forgiveness and might still launch low spin..Always want it all hu? Ha ha

Christian

Edited by Vegaman

I had a 9° head and I can confirm it is really low launch and low spin. For me it was too low launch. I couldn't get it airborne. But I also only swing at around 100 mph. Occasionally I can crank one up. I traded the v201 9° head for v201 10° and I couldn't be happier (my special thanks to supo67). The 10° is quite different in my opinion to the 9°. For me much easier to handle an the much easier to get it airbourne. Have had it for a while now shafted with a Roddio w6ba stiff shaft but due to the winter I couldn't game it. Only had little range time with it until yesterday. Yesterday I had my first 18 holes of the year with it in the bag. I know the driver is geared towards the accomplished players (which I am not), but I find it forgiving enough for a hacker like me. It's the best feeling driver I've ever hit. Soft but powerful of the face. Lovely muted feeling. And the shape at address just suits my eye perfectly. It's confidence pure when standing over the ball. Seems to be a really good match with the shaft for me. Launch is quite high but no balooning at all. The perceived kick in the shaft is perfect for me. I hit it mostly straight with it which is good for me. I was hitting some "bombs" (at least for me) in the 260s in a regular basis yesterday. I definitly picked up a few yards with it. On one uphill par 5 I had my first 300+ yard drive of my life. Still don't know how I did it, but I did. I must have really cranked it up there. It came out at around 315 yards and it was even slightly uphill. And the soil is still soft.

If you drive it regularly 280ish you might be better off with the 9° head. But it will be low launch, I can tell you that. At my swingspeed it's a no brainer that the 10° is the better match for me. But if you swing faster I can imagine the 9° head will be superb.

Hey not a bad shaft huh?

Fyg

i bought a 10' witha roddio s7x

havnt gamed it but kill it a t the range

they suit nicely as well roddio suits this head!

Hey not a bad shaft huh?

Fyg

i bought a 10' witha roddio s7x

havnt gamed it but kill it a t the range

they suit nicely as well roddio suits this head!

Not bad at all. I should stop looking for other combos coz this is working beatifully. And the feel is just fantastic. Stew, remember I bought the Adams 9064LS? It performs quite well, but I haven't touched it anymore because it just feels like sh#* comparing to the yamaha. I hit maybe 10 balls or so with it and now it's laying around unused. I think I will be selling it again and not buying any more drivers. I think I found what I was looking for.