XXIO Premium vs Pro-V1

FrankThong

After reading Stew's review of balls from a recent thread, I picked up a box of XXIO Premium, the Brill balls, on sale and tried them this weekend. No doubt they're longer than the Pro-Vs, my regular balls, which were not so surprising -- I knew the Pro-Vs were not the longest ball in the market but the all-round performance make them my favorite. The salesperson, whom I know and who also know my game, was shocked that I wanted them, emphasized (at least 3 times) that they were balls for 'senior golfers looking for distance' and not for me.

So how did the XXIO Premiums measure up?

First off, how is the name supposed to be pronounced? Ex-ex-ai-oh? Or Ex-ee-oh?

I thought the feel off the driver was ok; maybe I was expecting a great difference from the Pro-Vs. It wasn't radically different. Off the Kamui, it's a tad more muted than usual, nothing that I would have noticed if I wasn't looking for it. What was noticeable was it's performance off the fairway wood and other long clubs -- the XXIO felt real hot off the face. Springy even. For me, this is the real advantage of the XXOI. What would usually take a good drive and good 3-wood to reach one of the par-5s became a usual drive and good 21° ute to get there. Other balls might give the same results but not the soft, nice feel of the XXIO. That's a huge and real tangible benefit that I suppose is the premium you pay for the XXIO Premium.

If distance and feel off long clubs were the boons of the XXIO, then the approach off the scoring clubs would definitely be the bane.

The greens here are nothing like the hardpans of the NSW courses that Stew talks about; in fact, it was drizzling a little yesterday and I thought the green was just that little bit softer and grass was a hair longer than usual. On some of the holes I played the Pro-V1x, I got some impressive backspin even. BUT, the XXIO was appallingly bad inside 120m. Forget about backspins, I couldn't even get it to drop and stop with a wedge. That, to me, is quite unacceptable. Needless to say, I also didn't get the 'usual Pro-V bite' from half pitches and chips -- not a biggie, just take a bit of getting used to.

Off the putter, I must say, it's nice. Not like it rolls better or straighter or anything, just feels nice. I can't really quantify or describe it.

No question that golfers with slower swing speed looking for more distance would love this ball. With the soft and nice feel, they're worth much more than the marbles found in the budget shelf (and of course, you'd be paying for it too) that flies a mile. Maybe it's psychological but I thought the XXIO might be better for my tendonitis. Dunno. So. I'm quite baffled how/why Stew would love this ball. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad but it's far from ideal for the low handicap golfer who has no need for more distance (maybe I'm sandwiched between 2 groups of golfers that the XXIO appeals to?). Again, don't get me wrong, I am neither that low a handicapper and I would certainly welcome a few more yards but would I swap my Pro-Vs for the XXIO? Only for select par-5 if/when I need to get on in 2. Would I get another box when this runs out? Not at its current price, not even at Pro-Vs prices. Sorry.

I might pick up some Srixon Z-Star XV and Bridgestone B330-RXS, which were recommended (cheaper) alternatives to the Pro-Vs, and also on sale; maybe I'll post another report next week. ;)

After reading Stew's review of balls from a recent thread, I picked up a box of XXIO Premium, the Brill balls, on sale and tried them this weekend. No doubt they're longer than the Pro-Vs, my regular balls, which were not so surprising -- I knew the Pro-Vs were not the longest ball in the market but the all-round performance make them my favorite. The salesperson, whom I know and who also know my game, was shocked that I wanted them, emphasized (at least 3 times) that they were balls for 'senior golfers looking for distance' and not for me.

So how did the XXIO Premiums measure up?

First off, how is the name supposed to be pronounced? Ex-ex-ai-oh? Or Ex-ee-oh?

I thought the feel off the driver was ok; maybe I was expecting a great difference from the Pro-Vs. It wasn't radically different. Off the Kamui, it's a tad more muted than usual, nothing that I would have noticed if I wasn't looking for it. What was noticeable was it's performance off the fairway wood and other long clubs -- the XXIO felt real hot off the face. Springy even. For me, this is the real advantage of the XXOI. What would usually take a good drive and good 3-wood to reach one of the par-5s became a usual drive and good 21° ute to get there. Other balls might give the same results but not the soft, nice feel of the XXIO. That's a huge and real tangible benefit that I suppose is the premium you pay for the XXIO Premium.

If distance and feel off long clubs were the boons of the XXIO, then the approach off the scoring clubs would definitely be the bane.

The greens here are nothing like the hardpans of the NSW courses that Stew talks about; in fact, it was drizzling a little yesterday and I thought the green was just that little bit softer and grass was a hair longer than usual. On some of the holes I played the Pro-V1x, I got some impressive backspin even. BUT, the XXIO was appallingly bad inside 120m. Forget about backspins, I couldn't even get it to drop and stop with a wedge. That, to me, is quite unacceptable. Needless to say, I also didn't get the 'usual Pro-V bite' from half pitches and chips -- not a biggie, just take a bit of getting used to.

Off the putter, I must say, it's nice. Not like it rolls better or straighter or anything, just feels nice. I can't really quantify or describe it.

No question that golfers with slower swing speed looking for more distance would love this ball. With the soft and nice feel, they're worth much more than the marbles found in the budget shelf (and of course, you'd be paying for it too) that flies a mile. Maybe it's psychological but I thought the XXIO might be better for my tendonitis. Dunno. So. I'm quite baffled how/why Stew would love this ball. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad but it's far from ideal for the low handicap golfer who has no need for more distance (maybe I'm sandwiched between 2 groups of golfers that the XXIO appeals to?). Again, don't get me wrong, I am neither that low a handicapper and I would certainly welcome a few more yards but would I swap my Pro-Vs for the XXIO? Only for select par-5 if/when I need to get on in 2. Would I get another box when this runs out? Not at its current price, not even at Pro-Vs prices. Sorry.

I might pick up some Srixon Z-Star XV and Bridgestone B330-RXS, which were recommended (cheaper) alternatives to the Pro-Vs, and also on sale; maybe I'll post another report next week. ;)

Thanks for the review Frank.

I game the PRO V myself. i think another one that is up to Par with those are the Pentas. a little further than the Pro Vs but equally as nice around the green. I don't need to adjust much from My Pro Vs plus they are cheaper. Maybe you could give that a go. I tried the Z star i think they are a tad heavier than my Pro vs which really is not suitable for my SS i think.

i love the feel off the face of every club, they def dont spin as much or bite as much as a lot of others , but in japan where the greens tend to hold much better than in oz, these go perfectly ok, plus the added distance, i can get them to stop ok, not just back up. and i like hitting balls that chase to the in not check stop.

and on the greens, theres daylght between the brills and the rest.

ive been palying the bridgestone premium brills lately nad i think they are better still ,the def spin a bit more , and hold better.

they are the classiest balls ive seen , hit.

the xxio

pronounced zex-eeee-oh

i just love hitting for feel.

ive swapeed them out for comp

but day to day i play them , and in oz where i paly numerous balls each praccy round they are terrific.

def not a high spin ball. but oh what a feeling..!

Thanks for the review Frank.

I game the PRO V myself. i think another one that is up to Par with those are the Pentas. a little further than the Pro Vs but equally as nice around the green. I don't need to adjust much from My Pro Vs plus they are cheaper. Maybe you could give that a go. I tried the Z star i think they are a tad heavier than my Pro vs which really is not suitable for my SS i think.

I'll sure give the Pentas a try. Thanks!

i love the feel off the face of every club, they def dont spin as much or bite as much as a lot of others , but in japan where the greens tend to hold much better than in oz, these go perfectly ok, plus the added distance, i can get them to stop ok, not just back up. and i like hitting balls that chase to the in not check stop.

and on the greens, theres daylght between the brills and the rest.

ive been palying the bridgestone premium brills lately nad i think they are better still ,the def spin a bit more , and hold better.

they are the classiest balls ive seen , hit.

the xxio

pronounced zex-eeee-oh

i just love hitting for feel.

ive swapeed them out for comp

but day to day i play them , and in oz where i paly numerous balls each praccy round they are terrific.

def not a high spin ball. but oh what a feeling..!

Yeah, I can never estimate the run that well to play a chasing ball game. Easier to carry it to the pin. ;) The zex-eeeee-ohhhs are not too good for that for me. :(

Great review Frank and thanks. I also use the Pentas and they are great.

Great review Frank and thanks. I also use the Pentas and they are great.

Hey, thanks. Are these JDM Pentas or are they the same everywhere?

Hey, thanks. Are these JDM Pentas or are they the same everywhere?

They should be all the same.