how do the di8s and p9003x stand up to the quadra protos and crazies?

Spoon

well i got an aha moment with buildling my 380cc.

opened a pandoras box of further tweaks. now i know

i will only do this with a sub 400 head

building a short driver 44.5 on my 360cc head.

im thinking a DI8 or a p9003.

currently gaming the GD 9003 S on my 380cc head at 45"

and find the weight alright but can handle another 5-8 grams

the shaft is in the 75g series but cut weight to play 45 is around 68grams

the weight of the P9003 is perfect but the x flex scares me and its specified

for 115-120mph, im around 108 now.

so my options are the DI8 or p9003. any suggestions? i was going to consider

the di7 but it will weigh lighter than my current 9003 as both shafts uncut are

78 grams.

how much stiffer is the di8 compared to the di7? thanks

or am i wasting time and money and go quadra proto 75s? sorry no crazies invited:)

I think we get confused by thinking there is something out there that is not being provided by what we know. Combine this with the need to tweak the specs and boy it can be a bottomless pit and confusing. Not doubt the p9003 has it followers as does the FEX proto. But the Quadra has the 80T advantage. I addition, you know the FEX Proto well as you have played it. Sounds to me like the Proto is the safest bet and likely the best performing especially knowing that a 360 head will be more demanding and require more consistency and precision in each swing.

I think we get confused by thinking there is something out there that is not being provided by what we know. Combine this with the need to tweak the specs and boy it can be a bottomless pit and confusing. Not doubt the p9003 has it followers as does the FEX proto. But the Quadra has the 80T advantage. I addition, you know the FEX Proto well as you have played it. Sounds to me like the Proto is the safest bet and likely the best performing especially knowing that a 360 head will be more demanding and require more consistency and precision in each swing.

i guess your right. the quest for the golfing unicorn! quite familiar with the proto but 65 series is

just way too light ruins my transition. need something heftier.

on the contrary i was hitting my 380 on the screws, hit marks were all in the center, i can play it

better than my 102 460. my bad shots were mild hooks and thin shots that would run for miles but

straight. the 460 i was spraying all over the place but i attribute this mainly to the lighter shaft.

or i can just get the fex 75s proto and that would be the end of it. or might even put the 75s proto

in the 380 and put the 9003 in the 360. the 102 fex proto combo is being sold as we speak.

I do recall the Kamui 420 being longer for me than the 456. I miss that head sometimes.

The FEX Proto is slightly heavier than the GD and less torque. With the smoothness of the Quadra, you may be able to go SX flex and get great accuracy with a great feel.

Recently changed the shaft of my 102 driver with DI6x out of curiosity. All I can say is I'm definitely changing back to my trusty p9003. It's a tad stout but the dispersion and the penetrating flight with generous roll is what I love about this shaft.

I would love to try FEX proto 7 x or xs..........hopefully soon.

if ur going to cut the shaft to play short , then the p9003x at 80 gram is a wonderfull shaft , esp for the money !

i had an hour with the clubbuilder yetserday questioning just this issue.

weight VS length.

it came to me that the 9003x and the sigma crazy

are the answer to that question.

and u wont play the crazy

so.................................,

the x in the p series is pretty taught and u get a high ish ball flight.

its prety tough to snap hook , (which is nice)

it hasnt ot hte feeling of the the fex or crazy not b y any stretch but performance is pretty darn good

just up to u if u can got the extra stiffness

the FEX at 75 is only 72ish grams so if u cut that it wil be much lighter

According to the website :

Quadra FEX Proto is 76g

P9003x is 80g

P9003 is 74 or 75g depending on flex

Which P9003 are you considering?

I can chime in on this topic having had much experience now with the P9003x and the Quadra FEX.

Just a little history, the "P" series of the 9003 is only available in X. It is an 80gm shaft with 2.9 degrees of torque and while it claims its rated for swing speeds of 115to125 you can get away with a swing speed of 108. The other 9003 shafts are avaialbe in stiff and x-stiff w/ both having torque ratings of 3.2. My experience is only with the P9003.

As you all probably know, I've raved for a couple years now about the P9003x and up until recently it was my ideal shaft. That was up until I got the Epon AF102. When I first ordered that club I had it built at 10 grams heavier, 2 degrees open and 2 degrees flat. The shaft was the DI7 in stiff. After a couple range sessions and not happy with the DI, I had Goodsie change out the DI for the trusty P9003x. While it was a remarked improvement it didn't totally work for me. After some discussion with Gary I opted to try out the Quadra FEX proto in 75x.

In this head (Epon102) the FEX was far better than the P9003x. It became a much more stable club. The P9003x before being placed in the 102 was in an AF101 head and it was perfect in that. However, I had wanted more of a weightier head and when I decided upon the 102 I decided to have weight added to the head. But when I did this I did not achieve the effect I was looking for unitl I had the FEX proto installed. I attribute the added stability to the stouter butt of the FEX proto.

Now you might think that I've abandoned the P9003x. I haven't. My 3 wood is a Royal Collection VSTour in 14 degrees. In that club I have the P9003x. And let me tell you, it is by far the best 3 wood I've hit to date. It is rock solid and you wouldn't believe how stable this club is. Off the tee its a pure 240-260 yards depending upon conditions and quality of strike. The trajectory is a low boring flight that's just perfect for a 3 wood off the tee. Of late I have been thinking of going with the new RC spoon in 11.5. Reason being is that my utility has become basically a monster 4 wood and I don't find myself using the 3 wood much off the deck. I am however using it more off the tee. Its very, very accurate and the trajectory like I said is ideal.

So to try to answer your question, its really up to you. I'm using both shafts currently in a driver and 3 wood and I really couldn't do any better. The driver with the FEX proto is an improvement but I account for that only because I went very heavy in the head weight. In this situation I give the nod to the FEX proto. However in my 3 wood which of course is a much lighter head weight the P9003 is perfect and I honestly don't think that having an FEX proto in that would improve it at all. Bottom line I would have to say this: If you're wanting to achieve a more stable and stout shaft in a driver, go with the FEX proto. While I do think that the 80T does help, I can't say its the end all-be all. Reason being is that I've got two clubs, the VS Tour 3W and the RC TRC that have got two GD shafts; the P9003x and the SF8x respectively. Both club hit torrid bullets with the perfect trajectory. The ute hits upwards of 235 yards (off the deck) and the 3 wood upwards of 250 off the tee. Both are very, very tight in dispersion and I really can't say that I would gain any more in dispersion or distance with another shaft in either.

As for the driver, I'm loving it quite a bit with the FEX Proto. I went 75x and I find it fits me well. With my body getting healthier and my swing better because of it, I'm really starting to be able to lay into this shaft. I produce generally straight to 15 yard fades with this club. I don't hit draws with my driver basically because of its specs and I usually tend to get into too much trouble with a draw. If I really need a draw, that's the 3 wood's job.

I hope I've helped you a little bit with this. I know its very tough but I honestly believe you couldn't go wrong with either shaft. Pick the one you feel most confident about and then just hit it and let your confidence build. That (your own confidence level) is as much a factor as the shaft you choose.

Oh one more thing.

About the AF101 I had. I had the DI7 placed into that and while I was waiting for the 102/Quadra combo, I used the DI7/101 combo in a tourney. That club was pure money. I hit very straight solid shots with that club. While its not as long as the 102/Quadra, it was very, very solid and very easy to hit. Almost a no brainer. Trajectory was mid to high but not at all ballooning.

As for the P9003x in the driver, its now in a Yonex 380 10 degree head. That club produces gentle draws with a low/mid trajectory. However, I don't use that much just because the 102 is longer and has much better feel. In the 380 head though, the P9003x is simply great and gets the job done every time.

According to the website :

Quadra FEX Proto is 76g

P9003x is 80g

P9003 is 74 or 75g depending on flex

Which P9003 are you considering?

Referring to the p9003x . The p in only in x and 80grams

My current tamer is 9003s 74gram in. 380 head. Don't know if its the

Shaft, head, or both so not gointothe o touch this anymore

I however want to match this combo in a similar epon 360 , I'm leaning

On the FEX proto as I don't think il see gains with the p9003 might

Actually be detrimental as it may be a too aggressive jump in flex.

Also the 9003 is a darn good shaft, those who say it's low launch don't have the

Ss to use it, it's actually mid to high , sper low low spin w lots of roll.

Blader, thanks man you've answered all of my questions, appreciate the lengthy

Explanation. Sometimes when we find the perfect club we get tempted to replicate it with

Something superior only to find the opposite. Not touching my 380. I just hope the

360 can live up to big brother

blader thats a great review.

ive also got the epon 102 with quadra proto 75xs

not hitting it well at the moment so its benched, but ill never change it around from that set up.

when i do drive well its really really pure. i find it almost a impossible to get it to go left with any kind of regularity

its always a fade or at best straight but its as solid as anything u can hit pretty much.

great shaft

the p9003x is a great shaft but no where near as spicy as the quadra

i

blader thats a great review.

ive also got the epon 102 with quadra proto 75xs

not hitting it well at the moment so its benched, but ill never change it around from that set up.

when i do drive well its really really pure. i find it almost a impossible to get it to go left with any kind of regularity

its always a fade or at best straight but its as solid as anything u can hit pretty much.

great shaft

the p9003x is a great shaft but no where near as spicy as the quadra

i

Ok how about we compare the above to the mythical stinger? Thats something

Vie been wanting to try as well.

C

Both the 9003/P9003 are legendary in their own right. Dominant shafts from the mid 2000's on the Japanese tour. They were and are still great shafts but time, materials and design have caught up to them a bit.

C, I thought you were doing so well and liking the FEX so much... what happened there?

Both the 9003/P9003 are legendary in their own right. Dominant shafts from the mid 2000's on the Japanese tour. They were and are still great shafts but time, materials and design have caught up to them a bit.

C, I thought you were doing so well and liking the FEX so much... what happened there?

T,

well to sum it up, i have gotten most of my strength back and have actually gained more distance due

to rehab and heavy stretching exercises so i have outgrown the weight of 65 grams. i used to use a 75x

shaft in my driver pre injury. what would happen is i would lose sensation of the club on the transition,

literrally got lost, unless i slowed down my tempo which just felt unnatural.

by moving to a heavier shaft i can swing my normal way. so the problem was the weight. i am almost 100% sure

that the 75s proto would be a winner. now the big question, would the 9003 in a 102 be just as pure compared

to the 380? i think the 380cc head is the key to the puzzle, its so damn long and ballistic and pretty forgiving.

scary to think of this head fitted to the quadra proto 70s.

if im not mistaken this used to be your head, picked it up from gio. may replicate this same setup with the burlwood 360

quadra proto 75s.

T,

if im not mistaken this used to be your head, picked it up from gio. may replicate this same setup with the burlwood 360

quadra proto 75s.

That was a very good and soft head. It felt simply awesome at impact and I wish I still had it.

I am trying to remember what shaft I had in there.... it was a long time ago so if I remember correctly it was an Axiv Driver shaft.

Match a shaft with good feel with that head and expect great results.

The 9003 might work very well but the DI may have better feel.

That was a very good and soft head. It felt simply awesome at impact and I wish I still had it.

I am trying to remember what shaft I had in there.... it was a long time ago so if I remember correctly it was an Axiv Driver shaft.

Match a shaft with good feel with that head and expect great results.

The 9003 might work very well but the DI may have better feel.

It was a all white shaft with some obscure long name. U mentioned it was a ver expensive mom and pop brand.

Forget the name