True temper. Monaco shafts

supo

Shafted up my 6 iron yamaha 2006 tour on thurs and took this to the game yesterday to direct compare with the ns ora x flex

the monaco was the stiff shaft not x than the lord i chose these bec they are easily strong enough for most folk and for me thet were perfect.

The flight is low a lot lower that the ns but its got a kick in the tail the ball shoots low straight then at its apex it kind of kicks up not dissimilar to the ns orange but in a much better way its not a dramatic kick the balll just looks like it gets backspin170 yards from whereu hit it

the result of this is the ball drops dead i mean just sits still its like u walked out and putthe ball on the ground

personallly i absolutely loved it.

ill tellu right nownthese are going sftriaght into the rest of the set to be used as a cavity set

the tt harshness wasnt nearly as aparent inthese putting that down to stiff flexnot x x. Ithink wont suit mant peops at all

the feel is similar to the ns blue i felt i can go hard as ilike not a worry

these are laterally challenged and like derek zoolander def NOT an ambi turner.

The look of them is amazing light bronzed chrome in a steel head they look absolutely mustard and with an orange iomic x evolution grip these are just so money

ill wai till i hit some more with them to see go they will go in low launching heads for sure. with the endo forged yammys they were an absolute delight i loved them

i don t think wind nor rain will detract from the way these . the flight in higher launching heads like the yams was perfect i jsut loved it ,my mate whos not as strong as I didnt like them as much thought them boardy but i hit 50 balls with it and i dont think so one bit and i absolutely hate x100s and dg200s they are planks of golfing spam, these are the direct opposite. If ur after a set of different shafts id jump on these as there aint a lot out there and seeing as im a total jdm ho this is a huge surprise a pleasant surprise two thumbs up to tt for coming out with something that are joy to hit and perform like they do long may in continue and pressure everyone to make better and better irons shafts

these will get played a bit make no mistake .

• 4 months later...

Hey Stew, I think i'm going to put a set of these Monacos in "Tour X" flex in my 2011 Onoff Forged irons. I've read nothing but great things about them. I was also considering KBS C-Tapers which launch and spin low but there are too many people saying they don't feel great. I was also considering the Modus's but again, i've heard mixed reviews. Lastly, the Shimada Tours/Pros but I think i'll put these in my Epons and take out the Program 130's which launch too high and spin too much.

Sound good?

ABSOLUTELY....................!

i had a BIG bash with my miuraisms shafted with monaccos in stiff yesterday.

also had my NS proto 2fi5s( these were paul caseys actual shafts at one stage b4 i got my greeeeeeeedy litle lmits on em..!)

ive put these protos in a cpl of yamaha tour irons and they were exceptional ,especially in hawaii in july , these were marvellous.

ive since put em in my srixon pro 100 blades and they are now UTTERLY sublime.

these are the mack daddy of all shafts ive ever hit.

the monnacos were up agaisnt some pretty sturdy competitiion.

i game the miuraism in 3-sw.

yessterday was farrrrrrrking freeeeeeezing (there was snow on the course still) and it was windy as all bugggggery

the monnacos i didnt find flighted 1 iota.

i hit a buzzion 2-3-4-5 irons and they went lowish, strong and powerfully. good trajectory and NOT rediculously harsh on yr elbows either , even when it was -1c . so yea they are good!

ihit 9-pw a buzzillon times as well and they are a LOT ,lower than the NS protos

the check up nad moveability i got with them was far superior to the NS.

ill ref the 7 iron and PW on this i was hitting PW check ups to a green into a STRONG left right cross wind 90 yards out and the flight of the PW was magnificent in the monacco

(they suit these heads perfectly aswell fyg)

got them to sit down well and stick, the NS protos went really high and just plopped on the spot ,

horses for courses here. the PROTOS were very hard to move about on purpose, much more so than the monnaccos.

ilike to hit cut , (sit down u beast)irons shots all the time and i found with the monnaccos this was a snack. MUCH easier to do than the NS.

i liked that a lot.

i was going to ace the miuraisms this season but after yesterday, i was so moved , i dont think i can.

i might just change the grip form the gripmsaster leather to the iomic x-evolutions.

i most certianly WONT be reshafting them thast for sure.

these took a while to get wired, but now i have im super super impressed with the way they play, they are V good.

they are strong shafts. and wil definatly l suit the harder hitter for certian.

they DONT really have that "X " factor of the NS proto range. but in all honesty if i had to just play these i wouldnt be yearing for anything else . even in stiff flex, these were perfect for me. (the NS are X fyg)

yea chuck em in yr best irons, pretty sure u wont regret it.

ohh... and they LOOK mustard as well.

Again, unreal reply... so appreciated! Couple questions:

1) What the hell are NSpro 2fi5s's? Never heard of em - details and what makes them your best ever iron shaft??

2) What do you mean they don't really have that "X-factor"??

3) I'm looking at a set of Tour X "protos" on ebay - legit seller - other than the flex these are the same as what you have, right?

They're all "protos", right?

4) Is the feel as good as the Super Peening Blues and irons similar?

5) In all honesty, how do the Miuraisms compare to MB5003's? Any difference or just looks?

6) How many FREAKING SETS of irons and shafts do you have!!? Incredible and awesome! Love to hear it!

Thanks so much my man!

2 fi5s are the proto for the tour guys for the ns1150s , which as most who ahve hit htem know are very nice shafts indeed.

, u can def see the similarities in these, and the tour protos, whixh are just

much more .

"muchier"

they have a realyl differnt flex pattern, when u crunch in to them theres no warping or dispersion of energy , its instantaneous. its like hitting a crazy 80 compared to a TM stock r flex burner shaft.

i find its like driving a subaru imprezza wrx against a skoda

theres a differnce, the more u drive em, the more ucant so skoda any more.

when u hit the same iron type with the two shafts incomaprison like i did yesterday.

oh man. the "X" factor hard to describe ,but its the whole feeling. i guess its personal. but to me its like the dg dont or cant get a feeling of explosion, controlled explosion , evn the monacco dont get it.

NS somehow get it. its all in the feel in yr hands, u know the second u hit it.

i have 5 sets of proto shafts from NS which i believe might be right up there in the most of anyone

the joys of living in japan.

prob is for YOU old boy, is ur not ur average JOE , u would prob eat these shafts up. if i can hit em this well, then i presume paul casey prob found em too sof tor high or somewthing.

and for you, i think ud find em to high.

for me tho these are great.

my ford GTO of shafts

its all in the flex, theres no "soft spot" theres not weak point, theres no mushines, theres just pin point accuracy. and when i miss it it doesnt kill my arm as bad, or fly 4 fairways right or left.

its tight like a tiger

the isms are more compact and solid than the 5003s, the 5--3s are slimmer and more elngated, the isms pack more of a punch

slightly , but oh yes, def there.

the are def differnt to the 1957 that the US gets. ive had both. the isms are sharper.

i prefer the isms

super peening blue are the closest to the protos ive found, but hte blues areLOW laucnhers, most protos go high and fall. the blues go low and grip

ironsets.....,

hmmmmmm

off the top of my head

15 ish(?) all pretty tasty sets, some suit then dont , some i like the look of thier lines then i dont. they get benched al lthe time

the yonex blades are the favourites right now. i hit them so well in oztraylia. the lines on them just suit me perfectly

im slowly getting it down to a playable amount of irons , this yrs goal is to just have regular gamers , ill try get it to 5 or 6 ish if thats possible for me.

Edited by supo67

HAhahaha I love it! I LOVE IT ALL! Great hearing about your adventures! I want to keep up with you but I know it's a loosing battle!

You like the Yonex irons more than your Yamahas now!?

Here's the link to the Monaco shafts I'm thinking of buying - These the ones? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/180806556529?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_922

Also i'm going to get some modus 3's - should I go with the Tour 120's or are there some "protos" floating around that I should try to get?

Thanks as always man!

yes these are the ones...., these are the ones i have in stiff..... these are good....., pretty sure ull ike these ..

the NS protos idont think will suit you, they go high.

they are rare as hell. hardly ever come up. ever.

i like the yamahas for cavity irons enormously, that will neve change..,

but i just love baldes.

nothing give the same experience as a well stuck 3 iron form the deck with a compact blade.

after playing the srixons and the yonex agn. ah im kinda hoooked agn

ill always have a set ( or 4) of yamahs just in case.

and ill play these in mid summer in japan when the ground is like marshamallow carpet. and hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooge divots are part and parcel of golf.

then the yammies will just be srensational!

as for modus.. id suggest u get them twice stepped.

these are really good feeling shafts . realyl good.

but not sure if others agree here but maybe just a little " flighty" lofty? heavenly?

Edited by supo67

Hahah, awesome again. Love reading your stuff.

Ok I'll buy those Monacos and just put them in as is. And I'll buy the Modus 3's in Tour 120 and hard step them once.

My swing speed with my 6 iron is about 102-105mph, lighter if i'm smart, harder if i'm being an idiot. The Modus Tour 120 hard stepped once should be enough I think...

And I hear ya about blades - I have Mizuno MP-37's which are buttery and Miura MB-5003's which feel fantastically solid. Epon 302's - I have a more difficult time hitting these well - have the Program 130's in these - launch too high and they feel very "shocky" if you don't hit them right perfect, which is weird considering they are graphite. Haven't hit the 2011 Onoff Forged yet, have you?

Why do you prefer Yamaha over Tourstage, Epon, Miura, etc?

Thanks Stew.

Forgot to ask, which is the softer, nicer feeling shaft, the Monacos or the Modus 3's? I haven't decided which i'm putting in my Mizuno Mp-37's and which are going in to the Onoff forged..

• 2 weeks later...

Stew, thanks for sharing, Did you ever get a chance to try the new PXi?

Should your SB 01 need a new family your old PPM would welcome them in the brotherhood ;-).

• 1 year later...

monacco is livelier and a kinda deader fel , the modus are nude.

bestway to describe te differnce is

monacco achieve an easier horizotal draw . fade shot

while the modus are much better for controliing height

i used to thin kmonacco are the best for wind

but ive gone completley the otehr way now i thin kthe modus dont get blown off target as easy. u might need a nextra iron for distance, but if u aim stright u can b pretty assured the ballwont wander off the path a much as the dgs...saying that

if u need to hit a lot of cut/ draw shots... modus prob wont be the best shaft