Thoughts on shafts (esp driver/wood)

kaaayelll

Is there a good shaft guide somewhere that categorizes different shafts according to characteristics/performance? For some reason, I'm finding it harder to get up-to-speed on the shaft market (especially the driver/woods market) than anything else.

If nothing like that exists, maybe this could be a place to talk about your favorites and what you like about them.

Given the prices of the high-end shafts, it would also be interesting to learn people's perspective of "value-priced" alternatives for their favorite shafts. I understand that value is generally subjective - the highest-priced item could easily be perceived as the best value - but I can't help but think most have perspective on shafts they might describe as "90% of the performance for 50% (or 25%) of the cost."

I suggest you contact gocchin and ask him for a fitting questionnaire and he can provide you with some of examples of shafts that would suit your swing. In fact if you have video of your swing he even breaks it down and shows you why you would need the shaft recommended and he captures screen shots of your video and adds graphics in the explanation.

Some kind of a grid with current shafts in it lumping shafts of similar profiles together would be very handy though.

Some kind of a grid with current shafts in it lumping shafts of similar profiles together would be very handy though.

titleist has done this and it's pretty good for the most part. unfortunately it only compares usdm's.

Tom Wishon has a database and software, where they've tested many/most shafts - measuring the flex/stiffness along the length of the shaft (at 7 points?)... he's posted a very informative guide to graphite/driver shafts over at golfwrx, if you want to go over there and search for it.

Tom Wishon has a database and software, where they've tested many/most shafts - measuring the flex/stiffness along the length of the shaft (at 7 points?)... he's posted a very informative guide to graphite/driver shafts over at golfwrx, if you want to go over there and search for it.

Thought about this too.

It's certainly enlightening as you can find shafts with similar or even the same bend and flex characteristics, or just close enough to good, for different prices. It's a handy thing to have if you do a lot of shaft experimentation.

Shambles

• 3 weeks later...