Grip Help

marmaduk

Hey guys.

Got a couple sets of irons on the way and am thinking about what kind of grip I should put on them.

My grip preference is Oversize. I don't know why. I don't have huge hands or anything they just feel more comfortable in my hands. With regular size grips I tend to strangle the club.

I also MUST HAVE a grip that is soft. Almost a spongy feeling?

I prefer a bit of a muted feeling while hitting the ball.

My prefrences have a lot to do with the fact that I do not use a golf glove.

This is why I am currently using Oversize Winn Dri Tacs

I have played the Golf Pride New Decade and they feel like absolute sandpaper in my hand.

Before I played the Winn I was gameing the GOlfpride tour wrap 2G. I liked the rubbery feel to them but I found they got a little stiff with time and exposure. Lost that soft feeling.

Anyways. I was wondering if any of the JDM grips feel similar to what I am looking for.

Is there any good grip makers that are not made by uber large companies? Maybe some hand made ones?

Also, does anyone know of companies that make leather grips? I have never actually tried one before and am curious.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Cheers, Jeff

Bestgrips and Gripmaster both make leather grips. The OS options for them are non-existent at this point however you can build up with extra wraps. I have lots of experience with the Gripmaster grips, having used them exclusively until the stopped making the OS wraps that I liked. UST has an OS wrap style that seems to be very good and might line up with your likes quite well...

Gripmaster online makes excellent leather grips, but not sure you'd like the feel. I like their Kangaroo grip, but it's not what i'd call soft, definitely not tacky. I play without a glove, too, and used to use Winn Excel's, but they stopped making the ones I liked. Switched to Tour Velvet, and just recently switched to their DuraTech. It's like Tour Velvet on top, but the underside is soft like and tacky like the old Excel or the DriTac you're using.

UST Mamiya soft touch are great. I haven't had them long (3 months) but they're still tacky.

if you prefer soft and spongy you probably won't like any leather grips. they're soft to the touch but there's not any cushion underneath. stick with winn excel. they may wear out quickly but at $5 per grip who cares.

Bestgrips (leather) microperf, while maybe not spongy, are pretty soft to me. They also do what they call a pro taper, which amounts to a thicker bottom hand. You can get a sample pack of three different grips for the price of two ($32 or so). Liking them on FB gets you a discount too, I believe.