New kid on the block: Triple X - TRPX?!

mauvanilla

Tario, any chance to take a pic comparison of the face depths of both the Maxima and S-031 side by side to get a comparison. Liking the setup of the Maxima and wondering if the S-031 would setup similar.

Sure I will take one next week for you, I don't have a Maxima here right now... the TRPX knocked it out of the bag.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just played about 8 rounds in Hawaii with the D-013 and X-Line proto. ( Sorry can't post pics yet ).

I took the 435 boron with me as well. For 7 rounds I drove the ball like poo and that's with both drivers.

notes:

- These two drivers are similar yet different

- The D013 has a deeper face than the 435

- The D-013w/Xline flew lower than the 435 consistently. Both are mid trajectory but Xline produced a Mid/Low for me. I'm going up in loft.

- they both do well with the same tee height.

- looking at specs of both the D013 is just a hair more "player" with it's slightly higher and more forward CG.

- TRPX feels noticeably better off the face

- My proto X-line did not kick as hard as the boron I didn't seem to have the speed to harness it fully.

I had a really hard time judging distance, both had their long and short as I hit many poorly on both clubs on F'n crazy courses like Prince Course in Kauai which gave me fits!

After my course re opens after re seeding I'm going to swap shafts and take them both out again.

Here is just some thought from me. Better and more accurate review will be from Tario. S-013 is the driver with best feeling I ever hit. Also love the sound. My HS is 90MPH and 10.5* suits my swing profile well. The launch is on the low side but not too low to lose the distance. Paring with my TJ-46 which is easy to launch shaft, the ball still very penetrating.

Distance wise, it's the furthest driver of all conforming ones I ever hit. Just a bit short from my Ryoma ST+ S513 shaft.

Ohh, it's really forgiving. By far more forgiving than jB435 (which I sold after owning for 2 weeks). Also you can see, the shallow model is not so shallow comparing to Ryoma ST below.

I won't game any other driver this year other than this cool head S-013.

Mark

post-14889-0-27699500-1379510427.png

post-14889-0-72792500-1379510438.png

How do you compare this to the Maxima in terms of forgiveness?

Just when I jump onto the P-Tune bandwagon and even before it arrive.... I'm eyeing this already.

Here is just some thought from me. Better and more accurate review will be from Tario. S-013 is the driver with best feeling I ever hit. Also love the sound. My HS is 90MPH and 10.5* suits my swing profile well. The launch is on the low side but not too low to lose the distance. Paring with my TJ-46 which is easy to launch shaft, the ball still very penetrating. Distance wise, it's the furthest driver of all conforming ones I ever hit. Just a bit short from my Ryoma ST+ S513 shaft. Ohh, it's really forgiving. By far more forgiving than jB435 (which I sold after owning for 2 weeks). Also you can see, the shallow model is not so shallow comparing to Ryoma ST below. I won't game any other driver this year other than this cool head S-013. Mark post-14889-0-27699500-1379510427.png post-14889-0-72792500-1379510438.png

Good stuff Lousifers. You;re the first here to play this. Maybe I'll hold on to my new TJ46 for the S-013. Will see if I can hold out till Nov when we get a round in and I can try your TRPX TJ46 setup :-)

Anyone hit both the D-031 and S-031 and see major differences in feel/forgiveness (I know there will be spin and launch differences due to the higher CG-deeper face on the D-031). Wanted to just get others perceptions on both heads - seems like many are choosing the S-031?

Tario hit it back before release, I think most are fitting for a D, I've had one for over a month now.

D or S? That's the question isn't it, both are deep imo. S has a slightly lower and further back cg I believe. The D is more 388 married a 435 in the sense that it has that really straight and stable flight.

Interesting that S has a 58.5* lie while the D has a 60*.

I mirror louisifers thoughts, this driver can and has replaced the 435 for me. I'm not as familiar with the S as I own the D. Tario, you were fitted by ABEX for the D right? More stable over the S? I think that the person who strikes center often will do good with the S while those who really need to straighten things out will do better with the D. Not sure yet. I do know that when my swing is fresh the X-Line has the most roll of anything i've seen in this head. I just need to work on getting it a little higher now.

Tario hit it back before release, I think most are fitting for a D, I've had one for over a month now.

D or S? That's the question isn't it, both are deep imo. S has a slightly lower and further back cg I believe. The D is more 388 married a 435 in the sense that it has that really straight and stable flight.

Interesting that S has a 58.5* lie while the D has a 60*.

I mirror louisifers thoughts, this driver can and has replaced the 435 for me. I'm not as familiar with the S as I own the D. Tario, you were fitted by ABEX for the D right? More stable over the S? I think that the person who strikes center often will do good with the S while those who really need to straighten things out will do better with the D. Not sure yet. I do know that when my swing is fresh the X-Line has the most roll of anything i've seen in this head. I just need to work on getting it a little higher now.

Am I misreading or are you saying that the S(shallow) model is a better choice for better ballstrikers than the D(deep)? Its normally the other way around, with deeper faced drivers catering to more consistent players and shallower drivers being geared more towards forgiveness. I haven't hit either yet, but I have been thinking in terms of the D leaning towards the 425 tour and the S more towards the 435, am I on the right track with that thinking? Is it going to be worth it to buy these if you already own the 435 and 425? Ive got 2 425's and now 2 435's as well, what I really want to know is are the TRPX drivers different enough from the Crazy/J Beam drivers to justify buying them, not really asking are they "better", I just don't wanna grab one, hit it, and wind up thinking "oh, well.... now I essentially have 3 435's(or 425's)", I love the 435 and 425, I just don't need another driver that's going to be basically the same thing, if the differences are there, even if they're fairly subtle in multiple areas(slightly different flight and feel, etc.) then these will be worth a go, just want to know beforehand.

Anyone hit both the D-031 and S-031 and see major differences in feel/forgiveness (I know there will be spin and launch differences due to the higher CG-deeper face on the D-031). Wanted to just get others perceptions on both heads - seems like many are choosing the S-031?

Dude, its a case of choosing what you think will work for YOU. I only went with the S-013 based on Tario's recommendation which he made base don my 435 and Maxima experiences.

The D is more 388 married a 435 in the sense that it has that really straight and stable flight. Interesting that S has a 58.5* lie while the D has a 60*. I mirror louisifers thoughts, this driver can and has replaced the 435 for me. I'm not as familiar with the S as I own the D. Tario, you were fitted by ABEX for the D right? More stable over the S? I think that the person who strikes center often will do good with the S while those who really need to straighten things out will do better with the D. Not sure yet. I do know that when my swing is fresh the X-Line has the most roll of anything i've seen in this head. I just need to work on getting it a little higher now.

Given your comparison in some similarities to the 388, the D is defnitely not for me.

Your point on those who hit center more often... shouldn;t that be the D?

Edited by wmclarenf1

Chris's comparison with the D and 388 has nothing to do with design or shape, only that it flies straight and stable.

So based on that you can't really say the D is not for you.

The difference between the D and S is barely HALF a centimeter.

Honestly I found both equally forgiving and easy to hit.

The D worked for me as ABEX pointed out right away I like to tee it up higher and a deep face allows me to strike it better.

Though the S worked just as fine.

Something that I'm noticing is that some of the shallow(er) heads like the Maxima provide better results for those who have a more consistent striking pattern ideally near center, while people who hit it covering more of the club face (like myself) get better results with the more upright, deeper faced forward/high CG designs like the D1, 435, etc..

Your right that the deeper face is often preferred by the better player but that's pretty general and for me what it boils down to is deeper faced forward/high cg drivers provide the straighter shot for my inconsistent ball striking with the driver.

I've had guys play the Maxima with their favorite shaft, the ones who hit center and come into the ball with less swing flaws absolutely kill it. The ones that don't like me get a lot of high left or right shots. just an observation. A big thing is where we miss as well.

For what it's worth, the all time best feeling driver is still the Epon Technica. But the Maxima (with Diamana Ahina), for me, is the best overall driver I've ever played. Easily. It's the best at absolutely every other aspect. Distance #1. Low launch/Spin #1. Bore through wind #1. Looks - among the nicest ever. Feel - among the best. My only complaint is that my misses are major hooks due to the slightly (debatable) closed face. Other than that, I think it's superior to the Crazy 435 and every other drive I've ever played. I've never hit the P-tune, the 388 or this new sucker but I can't see anything being superior to the maxima.

For what it's worth, the all time best feeling driver is still the Epon Technica. But the Maxima (with Diamana Ahina), for me, is the best overall driver I've ever played. Easily. It's the best at absolutely every other aspect. Distance #1. Low launch/Spin #1. Bore through wind #1. Looks - among the nicest ever. Feel - among the best. My only complaint is that my misses are major hooks due to the slightly (debatable) closed face. Other than that, I think it's superior to the Crazy 435 and every other drive I've ever played. I've never hit the P-tune, the 388 or this new sucker but I can't see anything being superior to the maxima.

Will let you know soon enough about this MJD. I still have the 435, Technica and Maxima..