Fe, SM490A, SUS304? What are these and the differences?

wmclarenf1

Fe is carbon, ss304 is pretty much the same as ss303, sm490A (my fav for years). Is not so common in putters but just a dense soft metal that will rust unlike SS so a plating/coating is a good idea.

Feel is subjective, design matters most but generally SS usually feels more firm and carbon more soft and sm490A more dense.

As a fan of SM490A back since GDJ I've requested SEVENs makers to use this and feedback from customers with or without a face insert of any material has been astounding even with a no milling flat face.

Fe is carbon, ss304 is pretty much the same as ss303, sm490A (my fav for years). Is not so common in putters but just a dense soft metal that will rust unlike SS so a plating/coating is a good idea.

Feel is subjective, design matters most but generally SS usually feels more firm and carbon more soft and sm490A more dense.

As a fan of SM490A back since GDJ I've requested SEVENs makers to use this and feedback from customers with or without a face insert of any material has been astounding even with a no milling flat face.

So Fe is not the same as SM490A. Thought they were.. Live and learn. When does Fe fall in that spectrum feel wise to you?

What putter is Fe?

Anyway I have to ask around as I'm not entirely sure. I only remember tourstage making Fe wedges. Don't recall any putters off the top of my head.

Fe is marketed in Japanese golf as mild carbon steel but really IRON as the Fe symbol in Chemistry stands for. So as tourstage marketed their Fe wedges, they were pure iron (99%) with 1% carbon alloy. I think at one time Gold's had an Fe putter.

SUS304 is actually softer than SUS303 but many manufacturers don't use it as it dings VERY easily, old Gauge Tour Zero One and Two were SUS304. If I remember correctly G-Field Premium Zone inserts were SUS304 matched with a SUS303 body.

SM490a is used mostly in construction but found its way into putters (rarely) as it produces a unique feel at impact. SM490a is actually a JIS (Japan Industry Standard) term which is probably why its not seen elsewhere much. It is considered a low alloy steel meaning it's easy to harden and anti corrosive which is why it's used in construction.

I really like the feeling SM490A putter I just got from the GF. But Fe offer from Kitada sound very interesting too.