Question on sales etiquette

chuck4golf

I notice on most sales, once the sale is completed, the seller removes the price he had been asking.

Why? It seems to me this data is good information for all of us to have as reference in future transactions, and I can't see the downside of leaving it up?

What's the reason people remove the price?

I notice on most sales, once the sale is completed, the seller removes the price he had been asking.

Why? It seems to me this data is good information for all of us to have as reference in future transactions, and I can't see the downside of leaving it up?

What's the reason people remove the price?

well for me i remove it coz its been sold. plain and simple.

no cosmic riddle for this.

I agree with both of the comments.

I do it to avoid confusion!

I do it mainly to avaoid confusion.

But I have another remark concerning sales etiquette:

What's up with people asking question (mostly about price!) and you reply and they never get back to you. Is it too much to ask that they simply reply and tell you that they are not interested under those cirumstances?

Edited by shacco

The confusion would be that people might think it is still available? I can see that.

I think the etiquette to remove the listed/sold price is to promote a true market demand for something instead of a linear depreciating scale based off what that particular item sold for last.

As a buyer, sometimes when you know exactly for how much it sold for last, you may not want to pay the asking even though that may be what the real market value is at that given time.

Prices will adjust naturally depending on demand IMO

My only reason for asking is to raise the point that information is good in establishing a price for buyers and sellers.

I think the etiquette to remove the listed/sold price is to promote a true market demand for something instead of a linear depreciating scale based off what that particular item sold for last.

As a buyer, sometimes when you know exactly for how much it sold for last, you may not want to pay the asking even though that may be what the real market value is at that given time.

Prices will adjust naturally depending on demand IMO

this is so true! some people sell their gear cheaper than others. reasons ; quick sale, garage sale.

by removing the price, it gives people who sell their at a more moderate market value a chance to sell

their gear.

As a seller, we are required to post the selling price or price reduction. You list your sale price at a level that seems fair to you or what you think its fair market. We have seen gear that would be considered way over the top and members were criticized royally for bringing it up. I cannot see that as a matter of 'etiquette' to retain original sale price or disclosing final sale price as a reference for future seller.

on the other golf bst forum, i usually do a search of past ads to figure out the value of my gear and then base my pricing off that. It's helpful as a seller to understand at what prices things sold for. It's like looking at ebay completed auction prices to know what something is worth. in this case of jdm gear it's hard to figure that out (for me anyways). am i over paying (as a buyer) or am i listing too low and could've gotten a little bit more (as a seller).

deleted

Edited by Duffer19

on the other golf bst forum, i usually do a search of past ads to figure out the value of my gear and then base my pricing off that. It's helpful as a seller to understand at what prices things sold for. It's like looking at ebay completed auction prices to know what something is worth. in this case of jdm gear it's hard to figure that out (for me anyways). am i over paying (as a buyer) or am i listing too low and could've gotten a little bit more (as a seller).

I agree to a certain extent. Of course past sales help set starting point for value, whether you're the seller or buyer, but as we all know, markets are transitory in nature, and that means that data that is only a few months old holds little relevance to the current market trend at the current time of investigation.

For example, not too long ago, a few Epon Zen's came up on the BST w/ in maybe a week of each other. That particular market was way different than say 6 - 8 months prior to that when maybe only 1 Zen came up over the course of several months. If I was shopping for one of those Zen's when there were a few available, the data I got from the last sale (if the selling price was disclosed) would not necessarily help me in setting the fair market value in the market that I was in when ready to purchase, because there were more available and the competition would naturally lower the price.

And to my point about linear depreciating scales based off last sales price, if the one Zen came up at a time when there were no others being offered, if everyone knew what it's last sale price was, potential buyers may not want to pay the higher asking (which is warranted in a time of low supply and high demand), just because they saw that it sold less last time around, even if it was in say, flawless condition.

From my observations and experience, that is just how we are wired as humans, hard to swallow paying more for something when we knew it sold for less before us. But, as we all know, the ho's in us make us pay exorbitant amounts for things to satisfy our urges in times of low supply! lol

All good points here, but I'm of the belief that leaving the last sales price around only muddles the water and doesn't allow for true market demand to dictate price, and in this high end JDM market, that is really what keeps things flowing between us all...my 2 cents =)

I agree to a certain extent. Of course past sales help set starting point for value, whether you're the seller or buyer, but as we all know, markets are transitory in nature, and that means that data that is only a few months old holds little relevance to the current market trend at the current time of investigation.

For example, not too long ago, a few Epon Zen's came up on the BST w/ in maybe a week of each other. That particular market was way different than say 6 - 8 months prior to that when maybe only 1 Zen came up over the course of several months. If I was shopping for one of those Zen's when there were a few available, the data I got from the last sale (if the selling price was disclosed) would not necessarily help me in setting the fair market value in the market that I was in when ready to purchase, because there were more available and the competition would naturally lower the price.

And to my point about linear depreciating scales based off last sales price, if the one Zen came up at a time when there were no others being offered, if everyone knew what it's last sale price was, potential buyers may not want to pay the higher asking (which is warranted in a time of low supply and high demand), just because they saw that it sold less last time around, even if it was in say, flawless condition.

From my observations and experience, that is just how we are wired as humans, hard to swallow paying more for something when we knew it sold for less before us. But, as we all know, the ho's in us make us pay exorbitant amounts for things to satisfy our urges in times of low supply! lol

All good points here, but I'm of the belief that leaving the last sales price around only muddles the water and doesn't allow for true market demand to dictate price, and in this high end JDM market, that is really what keeps things flowing between us all...my 2 cents =)

i like your post. thanks for your explanation D!

I delete price b/c I usually sell stuff to low...don't want to screw the guys who have the patience to deal w offers and negotiations...

Couldn't agree more!! +1. Thanks for the Zen So far I had 3 offered from my golf course more then what I paid for. BUT NOPE!!

Simply too good and Perfectdol!!!