21 or 20 deg hybrid that can beat an Epon AF902?

nobmontana

I had a pretty magical experience the other day with my AF902 with Diamana Thump.

This is my 200 yrd club. I was having another mediocre round that day so I decided to agressively attack the greens in a way I usually don't.

par 4 used a 3 wd off the tee. 205 yrds shown with my range finder. pond right in front of the green too. used my hybrid to go for the pin. gave it a smooth but confident swing. straight ball started going right at the pin. "probably going to roll off the green anyway" i thought .... Boom! lands 2 ft right of the hole... 1 hop .. 2 hop both small hops and stops. Wow! best 200 yard approach shot ever!

next two holes, very similar experience. 202 yrds then 210 yrds. on the green with soft landing.

obviously not trying to replace this club anytime soon but wanted to know what else is out there that could match the forgiveness and accuracy of this hybrid .

i swear by hybrid irons now. The best single purchase that change my 180-210m game was the honma tour world. easy to use, straight & forgiving, stops like an iron.

i swear by hybrid irons now. The best single purchase that change my 180-210m game was the honma tour world. easy to use, straight & forgiving, stops like an iron.

cool! is this the current model or last year's? and do you have the driving iron or the wood type hybrid?

Edited by nobmontana

cool! is this the current model or last year's? and do you have the driving iron or the wood type hybrid?

I think he's talking about the TW-U, which is the driving iron. It's the long iron replacement that many of the other regular members have been touting about.

I thought long and hard about the Honma as well, but I prefer hitting wood style clubs, as I have a shallow sweeping motion through the ball. I think the Romaro iBrid chapter 2 is a good alternative for people like me. But I just dont see anything replacing my Type R 2 and 3 utes out for a long while. They are seriously perfect.

I have an MP H5 21 deg in my other bag but I can't get the same kind of trajectory nor the forgiveness as the 902.

The MP H5 is more workable and has a lower trajectory more suited for windy conditions but i am not confident to use it to get it to a green and make it stop.

So Honma TW-U are forgiving as their utility woods? maybe it has a lower cg than other DI type utes ?

The Honma is a very good DI. Easy to launch with a decent amount of forgiveness. Mid to low launch with a steel shaft. I have an 18 degree and it is long. It is also workable for most decent ball strikers. The 902 is all around easier to hit and way more forgiving. The 902 is automatic point and shoot. Stops tight on greens. Nob for what you need the 902 is better. The A-grind may be something to look at. Mine is being shafted and I will get it out next week.

Thanks Ash! great information.

Please let me know what you think about the A Grind.

I think you are right; for the purpose I seek, wood type hybrids are probably the better choice for me.

I was reading up on an article from Choice magazine on how to best choose your long iron or its replacements. ( DI, Hybrid, Fairway )

They mentioned that modern balls ( which produce lower spin ) necessitate even the tour pros to move away from long irons and use DIs or Utility woods. How they generalized the recommended choice for different players was based on swing speed.

- For those fast swingers who can swing the DI club above 45m/s ( 100mph ) DI s were recommended.

Hybrids and Fairways went too high for them.

- Hybrids were the recommended choice for players above 40m/s ( 89.5mph ).

- Fairways for players under 40m/s

What was really interesting to me was that back spin numbers were lowest with the DI and highest with Fairways with hybrids in between. I actually did not know this but I guess from the flight trajectory, it makes sense. From the above recommendation, I do fall into the Hybrid category.

Onoff

I notice a stronger boring ball flight from my honma TW-U 18* than my modart 19*. that one degree isn't what sends it higher, but more so the face is more angled on the hybrid. for me, in general, pulling the hybrid is better in most off the deck situations unless it's sitting nicely in the short stuff on a shorter par 5, in which case I've found the DI is fabulous - I don't think the ball flight gets more picture perfect. off the tee tho, the DI is the obvious choice between the 2 unless it's a long par 3 and the pin is situated in a position where being short is better, in which case I'd take the hybrid off the tee, since the extra height will give me a better chance of a softer landing.

I just got my A-grind 23* hybrid which I'm intending to be my 200yd club so I'll report back once I get it built and have some time with it.

Edited by needmoregolf

Would be interested to know how much forgiveness the A grind provides.

Looks to me more of a players hybrid. I have had my challenges with players hybrids where it would go left

whenever I tried to step on it just a hair.

I used to play an Epon AF-901 (old school) and which I loved; it was very long; sometimes 220 ... Problem was that it wasn't consistent; sometime difficulty to hit on the thick grass.

I was very hesitant to ever let it go but I gave a shot on the Ryoma. I had the MAxima G and the D1 F3 which are both long and easy to hit ...

No regrets making the move... The Ryoma is spot on; easy to hit and 200+ club.