Scotty Cameron Red X Mallet

Precision

That is one great looking putter, they are going for about 2k-3500 now but I have never seen a GSS insert version before. My guess is that these will be retail in 05. I hope :wink:

They're suppose to be released this year, April or June, but I can't remember for sure. The production model will have the GSS insert in the face. There is already one listed on Ebay by Jim Butler of TableRock Golf (he's a close friend of Scotty)

FWIW

I met a guy at my store that had one and he let me roll a few putts with it.

Looks- Very clean, site lines are present enough without being distracting. The Stainless body has a good color to it that doesnt seem like it will glare when you get outside.

Design- Very, very close to an Odyssey Rossie II, However, the Red X seems to my eye to be a little more rounded than the Rossie. That being said they are very similar.

Feel- The model he had was the Tour test model it was 34" and 340 grams I think. Had good weight and balance to it throughout the stroke. You can tell that the GSS insert works. Has a very nice click at impact, but not harsh. for me it felt softer than a Cam SS Newport Bch. Ball came off crisply but not like a rocket, softly but not like a STX old rubber.

Roll- Short putts were great ball started rolling right into the hole right off the bat. It didnt feel as though the ball was skidding on the short putts. I apologize but the Putting green at my store is not very big so I didnt get to roll anything over 7-8 feet. So I can not comment on distance control.

Overall impression- Very very good I think as long as it is priced in the normal scotty price range 250-300 Cameron will have a definte winner on their hands especillay for the people that like mallet putters but, do not wan tto go to an alingment/MOI putter. I had a Rossie II for the first 3 years that I played golf and loved it it still gets some playevery once in a while so seeing the Red X brought a good confidence feeling to me. I will be very tempted to pick one up when they hit our shelves.

I hope that this review is adequate for you guys I didnt have a ton of time with it but it was a great chance to see something new and get a sneak peek before its on the shelves.

My first impression was an S.C. version of a RossieII, but then I got to thinking the red "X" reminded me of MY idea about a year ago. I have an Odyssey TriHot #1. It's a 34", heavy headed model, at the time, the most expensive($>$200) and most advanced of the Odyssey line. A complicated construction of tungsten and carbon steel, one of the first of the higher moi putters available...maybe the most forgiving of the pre-high MOI types. The only dowside to this putter was that mushy white insert!! I hated it....no distance control, especially with the heavy head. I was thinking of calling Joey Kwok and asking about gutting the insert for something harder, but got diverted to a lovely JAT Prototype to now a MacG M5K. Maybe it's time to give JK a call....

...never-the-less, a beaut by S.C. if it stays relatively the same as the tour proto.

• 1 month later...

its was supposed to be out in mid may but got pushed to mid june due to they cant get the heads made quick enough special parts to make and i live in so.cal and heard from the man himself so ther you go these are hands down on of the best store models scotty has ever built besides his beautiful tour stuff but you know about that stuff you have to escrow for 90 days to pay for one ha ha (joke).