Graphite Design Tour AD I-65 review

Snapped the YS8.1SX on my XXIO last week and couldn't decide what to install. Don't really want to spend too much on a new shaft since I have a Fourteen JC371 Proto on order...

Anyhow, the shop loaned me a Fairline (EOS Sports) 9* driver w/ a GD Tour AD I-65 stiff installed which I played today.

First off, I don't know too much about the head but it felt similar to a Taylor Made, maybe more solid.

The shaft itself is pretty stout but lively enough that it suited a smooth tempo like mine. Started the front nine not swinging great - a couple of pull-hooks and a couple of big fades. To my surprise, even though the drives were pretty ugly, the ball never veered too far off and remained in play both sides. This obviously demonstrates that the 2.2* in torque does have its benefits in keeping the ball online with consistency. In addition, there wasn't much loss in yardage either way. So far, I was a little disappointed with my swing (which was also a result of getting used to the head) but very satisfied with the shaft's performance.

On the back 9, I got a hang of the set-up and my swing was in sync. Started killing the ball with a beautiful high boring trajectory. Ball stayed dead online each drive and the shaft felt responsive enough for a 72g, 2.2* torque shaft. Discounting the head, the shaft gave a nice trajectory without any risk of ballooning (I believe it's a mid-high kickpoint) with plenty of carry and decent enough roll. In my opinion, the shaft is suitable for any swing tempo but you would have to have decent clubhead speed. If not, I can imagine it would feel pretty stiff and boardy and it wouldn't generate great results.

One of my playing partners is a 45 year old business partner of mine who used to play junior golf for England. He's 6'4" and drives it 300-350 consistently - absolutely no joke - the guy is a monster driver. Really would have liked him to try out the shaft but he's a lefty!

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the shaft. Excellent ball flight and dispersion. Feel and feedback are good for a stout shaft. I have to say the overall feel isn't that far off the feel I got from the GD YS 8.1 SX that I snapped. I don't know what the swingweight was for the driver but it felt heavier than a 72 gram shaft. Is the AD I-65 worth the $425 (list price) it would cost as a loose shaft? Probably not, if you can live with a little less performance for half the price. If money is no object and you're a solid striker of the big stick, you won't be disappointed with this shaft.

Since the driver was a loaner, I can only base the review on one round. I'm not intent on buying the driver and also want to test out the W-70 in the Fourteen JC371 Proto. If anybody else could add a review based on a longer testing period, I'd be very interested in reading their comments. It's a great shaft at an even greater price but only worth getting if it's an option available from the manufacturer. Definitely give it a try without hesitation - Graphite Design Japan shafts are at least on a par with any Fuji.

Didier

Chris absolutely adores the Graphite Design shafts. I have no tried any high end ones just yet, but am thinking about trying out the W70 very soon in a 983E.

Thanks for the review.  Will you please post your thoughts on the W-70 when you have a chance to hit it?  I'm really interested in trying that shaft.

Certainly will. I was very close to putting one in my XXIO but then thought better try the stock W70 in the Fourteen first.

I'm goo goo for GD, The I-65 is stout but if untipped performs very nice, much like the 757 S or X felt a tad whippy untipped in the R510TP did. My shaft of choice is the W60 on a long course and W70 on a tight course, The I-65 untipped would be perfect on a tight course also. the torque rating and weight is tha main issue when it comes to shaft selection for me. I needed to tip my W60 but not my W70. I do have an R7 TP on order with a GD I-65 with TP graphics. Graphite Design is the #1 tour on the JPGA now and Fuji has been hurt by them when just a year ago it was almost entirely Fuji dominated. If you notice on GD shafts where it says kick point the information listed is " Tip Condition" my best guess is these shafts play stiff soft and are expected to be tipped.

W60 = easy to turn over, adds major distance and when tipped works like a charm, untipped the Stiff plays like Stiff/Reg and is great shaft for an anti slice.

W70 = very solid weight the torque rating is perfect for someone with a small fade untipped I love it, its perfect for me, tipped it plays a little stout.

I-65 = great weight, made for a draw ball flight , torque rating is low but untipped anyone can hit it, depending how deeply inserted. In a TM the I-65 stiff plays soft which i really like.

I-65 = great weight, made for a draw ball flight , torque rating is low but untipped anyone can hit it, depending how deeply inserted. In a TM the I-65 stiff plays soft which i really like.

My natural ball flight is straight to slight fade misses - the I65 was dead straight. Can only guess that it was untipped and fully inserted in the Fairline FX (or EX - can't remember). The Fairline is deep-faced and appears to be around 390cc?? Any info on them?

img1049383432.jpeg

was it this one?

I think it was the Fairline Pride. Back of the head had a lozenge with CR20 - 9* or something like that. I believe the ZX isn't offerred in 9* ? The club felt decent - the shop has the full line of Fairline equipment. How are they regarded in Japan? Have a friend who has a set of Giga CBs and those things look outrageously ugly.

Forgot to mention that I didn't care for the graphics on the I65. The colour scheme looks a little cheap compared to the W70 which looks great.

The Fairlanes are good heads. I hit one about a month ago. It performed very well until I asked how much?  :wah:

Have to admit it wouldn't be a bad club to have in the bag but I'd rather try a few others out especially the Fourteen. I didn't ask how much and I guess I shouldn't...