Scratch (equipment) players: Did your scores improve?

putterboy

I only had the wedges for a few weeks before I got them redone. But I know for sure that my 58* allowed me to hit a wider variety of shots. If a grind suits you (and Ari does an awful lot of work to ensure that it does) you will strike the ball more consistently. Does this lower your score? I think so. Solid ball striking leads to more consistent distance control, and if you ask any pro he will tell you thats the key to good wedge play. Ask Tiger how far he hits a 3/4 wedge and its 84 yards, not 80 to 90.

I personally have seen a dramatic improvement in my game. Was it my Scratch wedges? I'm not so sure. I think it was more my commitment to getting serious about golf. I've completely rebuilt my swing since getting my wedges a year ago. Since then I've gotten the irons. My scores haven't really changed between my old irons and my new ones, however I can tell you that I am more confident to try different things with my irons. So although I know golf is about how many, I feel that I am growing as a golfer when I focus on how. I'm trying lots of different shots now, cuts, fades, low runners, I can really do it all with my new irons. This probably has attributed to some lower scores in the interim because I'm experimenting and having fun with my new skill. I'll start keeping score again once I feel really comfortable with all these new shots in my bag, and I'll get back to you. So will Scratch wedges lower your scores? Yes and No. If you don't play much then I don't know if it'll make much of a difference.

I've had my 50/55/60 Scratch wedges for a couple of weeks now. I'm still in the "dialing in" process regarding distances for full and partial shots, and learning which ones work best in certain turf situations. They definitely are an improvement over what I had before, but I can't say yet how many strokes/round I may or may not save at this time. I'm absolutely more confident about some types of shots than previously (bunkers, particularly), but others are still a "work in progress". I suspect it takes a several weeks to really get comfortable with a wedge set.

Well, so far I made a lot more chipp in's with my old Trusty Rusty's. But that's over a period of 3 years of course.

I got my two Scratch wedges now for a few weeks. One, 58* Cash, got already a bid more modified, made even more versatile.

For me it's actually not about dialing in. My new Scratch play identical to my old ones. Set up is absolute identical. Ari even recreated the shape of my old wedges. So, even in the looks department there's no getting used to necessary.

Where we did make a change is the sole design. For instance the sole on my 54* Tango is a lot wider with more camber. Things like that need off course adjustments in play

Anyway, for me it was not about "lowering a score" but rather creating a wedge I like as much or better, thanks to the changes we made, than my old discontinued Trusty Rusty's. As Ari can confirm I'm very particular about my wedges and all the other offerings in the market from Cleveland to Vokey's are not to my liking whatsoever.

haribo