wobbly putting stroke

Sgt_Slaughter

ok guys, i have a tendency on the way back in my putting stroke to wobble the head sometimes. i would apprectiate anything to help fix it.

Mike,

Just so someone answers you... in my practice swing, I always do a couple to make sure that there is a smoothness in my takeaway and pendulum.

The general rule of thumb when putting is to only move your shoulders in a pendulum motion. If you find yourself wobbling on your takeaway focus on just pushing your left shoulder down while keeping your wrist, forearms, and elbows in the same position. Depending on your putting stroke (straight back, or arc) this may or may not be easy. A straight back, straight foward stroke causes you to manipulate the putter head during the backstroke while an arc'd stroke is a natural out to square to in stroke. Either way, work on just the takeaway and only the takeway (meaning don't complete the stroke)...do this for about 5 minutes until you get comfortable with just the backstroke. After you get this down, work on tempo (general rule of thumb is use the tick-tock method...tick for back tock foward). If all else fails...invest in proaim glasses or this

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/produ...ATEGORY_ID=4784

• 2 months later...

I fight this also.

I have found 3 things that work for me. I use the first 2 depending on how I am feeling.

1) Try to get some movement in the putter head before you take it away.

I bounce it a few times.

2) Start your take away with your right hand, almost feels like you will be cocking your wrist a little. Feels very weird but it works.

3) and the foolish answer from an above poster, cold beer.

I fight this also.

I have found 3 things that work for me. I use the first 2 depending on how I am feeling.

1) Try to get some movement in the putter head before you take it away.

I bounce it a few times.

2) Start your take away with your right hand, almost feels like you will be cocking your wrist a little. Feels very weird but it works.

3) and the foolish answer from an above poster, cold beer.

the third one is pretty funny. but thanks guys, ill be working on it and letin u know if it worked.

okay. I've been working with a guy on putting and something that has been working very well it me is that I don't have my eye right over the ball. My eyes line up slightly inside the ball. He's a pretty reputable pro, he flies out every year to work with hank haney and has played in the us senior open. It's supposed to help me see the line better, but it also gives me a feeling of rocking the putter, not swinging it. I've started to make a lot of putts, and yes, i do have a lot of lead tape on it as well.

1 Try hovering the putter just above the ground so the weight of the putter is in your hand

2. I use a pendulum motion with a rocking of the shoulders with the left hand dominating the feel. I get a natural arc this way. I just watch for going too far inside.

3. Sometimes I find the putterhead going outside the line on the way back, usually the right elbow has gotten away from my ribs - so I try to keep the right elbow in the rib cage by having a slight bend in the right elbow.

4. The left arm hangs straight down a bit more but it is still slightly bent and in the ribs

Try any of the above.

the right elbow close to the ribs is the ticket, I have been using it for years as a way to keep things good!

myy fav cure for the wobbles is to use a belly putter when practising to help give the sensation of rocking your shoulders. this is a dear way to improve your stroke!

a cheaper solution would be to include a drill in your routine. ie before you hit the put, stick your std length putter in your belly, look down at the ball and proceed to take a few mini strokes by rocking your shoulders.

this takes away the sensation of hands in the stroke.

it will also promote the proper path your putter should be travelling on........not straight back --- straight thru, but slightly open to slightly closed

hope this helps :-)

1 Try hovering the putter just above the ground so the weight of the putter is in your hand

2. I use a pendulum motion with a rocking of the shoulders with the left hand dominating the feel. I get a natural arc this way. I just watch for going too far inside.

3. Sometimes I find the putterhead going outside the line on the way back, usually the right elbow has gotten away from my ribs - so I try to keep the right elbow in the rib cage by having a slight bend in the right elbow.

4. The left arm hangs straight down a bit more but it is still slightly bent and in the ribs

Try any of the above.

ill have to give some of these a try, thanks to all who gave me some tips/drills.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this will work, but its something that I've been doing. When I practice I'll stick a shaft running across my stomach and hold it there with the lower part of the upper arms and I'll putt that way. It feels awkward as hell, but it forces you to feel the pendulum effect.

Like many others i was always led to believe in the straight back and through putting motion. This is not true!

The putting stroke, like the full swing, is an up and down motion. Get the putter head working more up and down as opposed to long and low. Also, most people struggle with the application of force. Your putter head should not travel more than 6 to inches past the moment of impact.

Work on this and your stroke WILL improve.

Hi Mike, I have the Big Ben, Found it very light and kind of jerked it back and thru quite a bit, I cut the grip and chopped it down to 33 ". Bought Tungesten Powder from Golfsmith and put it down the centered Big Ben Steel Shaft and corked it and installed a new grip. This added about 60 more grams of weight. My stroke is smooth as silk now ! I dont know if yours is centered shafted or not but it worked great for my jerkiness ! :cool: Good Luck !!

A wobble off the blade is an indication of poor contact on the blade or trying to manipulate the blade at impact.

I play pool and to put spin on the cue ball, you vary the point of contact and the angle of the strike. If you want your putt to roll true, you must make contact on the sweet spot of your putter and you must contact the ball at it's equator as it sits on the ground. Position the ball under your left eye. This slightly forward position will naturally allow for a slightly ascending hit on the ball, promoting overspin and true roll. It also allows you to see directly down the target line.

I agree that the putting stroke is not linear but like other swings we make, a small arc. So for accuracy, alignment of the arc towards the target is key. But the key ingredient is good contact.

I have a rather unsual practice routine to work purely on my putting stroke and quality of contact. I putt on my bathroom's linoleum floor along a line created by the tiles towards a wall 6 or so feet away. A perfect strike sends the ball rolling true to the wall and directly back to my putter blade. This grooves my putting stroke. I work out distance when I get to the practice green confident that my stroke is pure.

One man's solution to the quandry that is golf.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you don't watch the putter go back, you won't know if it wobbles or not. So quit looking. If you hit the ball square and the putter is moving down the line, you'll make some putts. The ball doesn't care where the putter has been.

Bubba

i dont watch the putter going back. i look at spot in front of the ball. i can just see out of my right eye of the putter, plus i have buddies who tell me my stroke is wobbly