Wedge Review

PxExG

I have been a long time advocate of custom fitting. In Ireland that means very little but with the online golf world open to me, I am truly overwhelmed with possibilities.

This review is based on my Scratch wedges, but also encompasses many of my beliefs on the benefits of boards such as TSG and the customization benefits we can reap.

Ari and I are very good friends and I was lucky enough to have 2 of the very first Scratch wedges, a 54* and a 58* in Satin. I have since moved on the Scratch Version 1.2 and they are really great. My current Scratch are Raw in finish and I have 3 of them. The specifics;

My 49* is at D5, 54* is at D6 and 59* is at D8. They all have Lamkin Crossline Cords and are at the same length n lie with DG S-400s in them.

The 49* is "basic" enough in that it is largely based upon a Vokey/588 design with a slightly different leading edge grind. I also have a cool stamping on this "PG49" in the "dancing Cameron" style that is so popular. It is a great wedge and I find myself using it more and more (who needs a nine iron eh?!) but I find the 54* and 59* is where Scratch really shine.

My 54 is really special, I played with Jeff and Ari last year and I got to tell them exactly what I like in a wedge. We are literally talking about millimetres here. The topline taken in a little from the heel, the leading edge a little tighter, we are talking miniscule alterations but they do make an appreciable difference to me. My initial 54* was beautiful but this new one takes absolutely everything I could possibly want and turns it into my "go-to" wedge. I use it from pretty much any position and find the distance control to be totally consisent. My 59* is also something special....

Have you ever noticed most every lob wedge has too big a face? I am sure there is some reason for it, but to me they just seem too bulky. My 59* is different, first off its a 58* bent to 59* and I gave Jeff very exacting instructions as to how I wanted it shaped. It has the tear-drop Vokey/588 shape that is so prevalent in the lofts 52 - 56 but tends to lose its refinement in the higher degrees. Not so my wedge! It is elegant and frames the ball perfectly at address. This wedge inspires a lot of confidence, it seems more like a surgical instrument than a golf club. I like this idea & find it makes me more confident when faced with a difficult lob shot over a bunker.

While most of this post has been taken up with "cosmetics" I feel I owe it to Scratch to highlight just how good their custom fitting is. After discussing my swing style/shot preferences with Ari he recommend X grind. I trusted him and found it suited me perfectly. When I played with him this summer I asked if he thought my grind works for me. He says quite simply "look at your wedge!" It was wearing perfectly, a little triangle apexing at the sweet spot & the sole had worn uniformly also. Why mess with perfection? This brings me on to my next "topic" and I think illustrates how beneficial a forum can be to your golf game.

First off I would like to say no $1000 driver will pick you up 30 yards. What I do believe however, is that the right equipment for you will allow you to shot your low scores easier, and do so with more confidence. I have wedges stamped with my initials, a driver with a shaft no one has heard of, a 3 wood that is from a company I would never have heard about if not for the online boards, a set of blades forged by Miura. All of these clubs heighten my enjoyment of the game and I owe most all of it to TSG. Golf boards are a wonderful source on information, and in the right hands can be used to better your game.

I for one think we need to take a deep breath and realize what we have got here. Enough of the egotistical posts, childish rants and conceited bitchiness. Let us all just get along, pool our info and discuss the game we love.

Patrick (que soppy theme music!)

very well said. and i totally agree about the 1000 driver picking up 30 yards. but the right shaft/head combo can. im in the same boat right now. about to try and find the right shaft to give me maximum distance in the driver.

Nice pic Chris! I will be home on Thursday from college & hope to get pics snapped then (better than my last efforts too!)