Let's Compare the New AF101 with the 460ZR w/PICS!

TourSpecGolfer

That's a question I have also....."Feel of the Face"?

I believe Chris' description of a metallic sponge feel on the 460ZR is a good one. I prefer a "crisper" feel....if the AF 101 has that crisper feel, I may be upgrading soon.

The AF 101 does NOT have a crisper feel IMO even when hit dead on the sweet spot.

On the launch monitor a I get a more piercing trajectory a couple yards more carry on average but an outstanding 5 - 10yds more roll!

I conducted my side by side demo on a full scale range with real balls (not range rocks). Hit the same ball with each of the drivers to hold this variable constant. Yes, on sweet hits, the AF 101 is a tad longer and does roll more (closer to 5 yards for me), but more importantly for me, on AVERAGE and for OVERALL distance, they are about the same across each session.

The AF101 is more workable and less forgiving and I feel is for the better player. The ZR more forgiving and for the mid capper looking to just hit the ball straight.

I'm trying a side by side range session today with my ZR and a white board 63 shafted AF101. Same loft of 9.5.

The AF101 is more workable and less forgiving and I feel is for the better player.

I agree, w/the added distance, I don't need to hit that draw anymore. I'm out driving my 460 w/power fades. Hitting more fairways the AF101 w/the MD7 has been a great addition to the bag; and I must say it has amazing ball speed. I swear this thing is a cannon. I get up to 165 ball speed.

I agree, w/the added distance, I don't need to hit that draw anymore. I'm out driving my 460 w/power fades. Hitting more fairways the AF101 w/the MD7 has been a great addition to the bag; and I must say it has amazing ball speed. I swear this thing is a cannon. I get up to 165 ball speed.

I wish me and a few others had the same good experience as you but alas, a round tomorrow and over the weekend should be a good enough demo process to put the AF 101 through its paces.

I am gonna have to take them out to do battle again, I found the 460ZR to have a more floaty trajectory with less conviction. WM is right the feel is not crisp on the 101 it is like a 460 with the volume turned down.

I measure AF 101 to be 57mm and 460 ZR to be 61mm.

Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear!

Just rec'd an email from EPON, they confirmed that the face height on the AF 101 is 56 to 57 mm depending on where on the face measured.

Now does anyone have the face height on the Craft 460?

• 3 years later...

Reviving an old thread. I'm reminiscing on the great feel of the 460ZR. But sold it a long time ago. Now, I have a chance to get the AF101 for a bargain. How does the AF101, which is a 2008 model, fare to the newer model drivers? Both US and JDM drivers?

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

I currently game an af101. If you can pick one up at a bargain price, do it... no ifs, ands, or buts. It's as classic as a deep face, pear shaped 460cc driver will get. It's touted to be for the better player, but I think it's plenty forgiving for the average golfer that has aspirations to improve. The feel is FANTASTIC. As far as performance, it lacks absolutely nothing compared the more current models. Will you hit it as far as the Ryoma? Probably not, but it'll be hard to find a driver with the combination of great feel and above average distance, but then again, my philosophy to maximize distance is to make sure I'm fitted for the right shaft anyway. You can have something like a Ryoma, but w/o the right shaft distance will actually suffer. I recently just picked up a yammy v202, and I'm just hoping that it feels as good.