Why have a open face Driver?

DaleUK

As above really, Im guessing it's for the better player but I can't see how it would be of any Help?

I guess better players prefer open face since they would be drawing the ball, by having it open

it doesnt draw too much to the verge of becoming a hook. also you can work the ball more.

for me though my bad shot is a hook so by going open i can prevent that to some degree.

Hmmm never used one, might give it ago!!

you can still hook it off the planet with open face, its just a matter of minimizing possible damage ie face angle is responsible for initial direction so if you hit a hook with open face it would start right then curve left hopefully not too far from your target line. if you hit a hook with closed face it would start left then curve left and thats just gonna be off your target line too much comparing to the former case. if you suffer from occasionally hitting hooks the later would end up in the junk most likely while the former would still be in the fairway or maybe rough worst case unless its very severe hook or your target line is too close to the junk.

My bad shot is to the Right!

Some people prefer offset in their irons ( Olazabal with forged and bent Macgregors) , some don't.

Some prefer their driver to be square faced, some open and indeed some prefer it look closed at address...

Whatever.

Choose what fits your eye, as then it won't freak you out...

which gets you back to why there is a particular search for driver's that are NOT closed face, which has become so common, due to it being a cheap and easy (semi)fix for the common slice ( or 'fade' as it has become known in these name inflationary times).

The adjustability of many newer drivers has lessened the 'search' but it used to come up so often because those who liked a face that didn't look like you'd be endangering your left ankle, didn't have much choice before.... well, before the 9015D - praise it! praise it!

( i lusted after a Epon Technicity 380cc head.... for some while, finally gave up on finding one. Bought an Ezone Yonex 380 - eye wateringly lovely, and naturally, a few months later Epon produce the zero.... come on..... seriously. )

coops

Edited by coops1967

Mine too as how it looks at adress. I prefer everything to look slightly on the open at address. Weird thing is everything works in the reverse for me. When i set for a draw i favour the open face maybe it promotes me to a swing out path whilst encouraging active hands.

Might worth a try...

Strong grip with slightly open face also helps me get into the slot

On the backswing. I will deliberately open the club more. That's what I

Was doing with the O all day and it made it easier to turn te club over

Spoon that could be the key because with a closed face I feel like I'm Hooding the the club/ face!

My guess is many pros have hook issues, and unlike in the past it seems like most pros go for a fade when driving. And the open faces 'minimizes' hooks.

On my case, my downswing often closed the club face more, which causes the ball to hook and sometimes just roll on the floor. So I adjusted my R11 to open face. Now the ball fly up n straight more often.

Deffo something in open face clubs!!

I guess better players prefer open face since they would be drawing the ball, by having it open

it doesnt draw too much to the verge of becoming a hook. also you can work the ball more.

for me though my bad shot is a hook so by going open i can prevent that to some degree.

Bingo! A better player's miss is a hook and an open-faced driver helps to eliminate that.

• 3 weeks later...

My preference is for weak lofted drivers so that I don't have to play the ball quite as far forward in my stance, and also so I don't have to give myself a ball above feet lie in the tee box by teeing the ball up so high.

It seems that 1° open or closed means less at 12 or 13° than it does at 8 or 9. I don't know if that's true, but it definitively seems that way to me.

And to me, anything much more than 1° either way looks more like a manufacturing flaw than a design metric.