Syard T388 Another Superb Round

bogeydog

Is this yards or meters?

Yards. The short drives should be taken out however I included all in the average. The two short ones were just plain bad swings.

I don't feel so bad now then lol. We measure in meters here.

Probably best for another thread but I bet that most have no idea how they truly hit the ball and only remember and talk about the best of the best drives.

Probably best for another thread but I bet that most have no idea how they truly hit the ball and only remember and talk about the best of the best drives.

I keep a pretty detailed stats diary, and it confirms what i've said from Day-1 about the t.388 -- that what I appreciate about it is its workability. I'm hitting more fairways because i'm able to work the ball like a 3-wood. In addition to the fun factor in that, I've seen my Index come down, which is my bottom line stat. The gain in distance is a bonus for me, pure gravy, but i honestly don't rank that first. I've learned that for my game, improving my scoring involves improved targeting more than gaining distance. I'm not that long a hitter to begin with, and although bringing an average drive up 10 to 12 yards is definitely welcome, I don't consider it the main asset of this club.

I've ordered a second one as backup in case anything ever happens to this baby. And confession..., I've slept with it at the foot of my bed a couple of times now. (My wife accepts that eccentricity, as she knows it's a zone kinda thing... <g> )

I've ordered a second one as backup in case anything ever happens to this baby. And confession..., I've slept with it at the foot of my bed a couple of times now. (My wife accepts that eccentricity, as she knows it's a zone kinda thing... <g> )

Hahaha that's a great confession. My other half would kick me out!

The use of GPS technology has been an eye opener and ego crusher for most.

Edited by driverhead

I just snagged one cheap with stock S shaft. Gonna give it a whirl and see what happens. Have a Diamana X and a Stinger to mess with.

Hi everyone!

Been a long time observer here but never posted before. Thought I'd put in my 2c.

I don't play enough to go get myself a proper handicap, though normally I am between 13 - 18 over. I normally score higher due to a shocking short game & putting. However, I dare say, I would rate my ball striking on woods and irons etc fairly consistent. My bad drives used to be more to the right. I also have a problem of the ball starting out straight and then slowly drifting out to the right whilst the ball descends. I recently bit the bullet and bought this driver thinking, well...if I can't hit it consistently or as well as I think I should, I can always sell it or reshaft it. As many of you guys have said, this is a driver that takes time to dial in. I have never hit a driver sub 400 prior to this driver and at first found the size quite daunting. I've spent 5 sessions at the range and couldn't seem to hit it that well. Today I finally had time to hit this driver on the course.

I went to a course near work where I haven't played for a few years and always found it challenging. The drives I did, were much much better than I expected and did not reflect the bad hits at the range! Only 2 mis**ts, which ended up in the rough rather than an adjacent fairway. I managed to out drive a 250-ish meter par 4, which I have never done before on this particular hole. On average, out 12 driving holes, the distance was around 255 - 260m. I don't have a range finder, so the distances are only estimates, but I did find I was closer to the green in each instance than I have ever been.

The distance gains are evident as other guys on this forum have said, which is just a clear bonus. I have not hit the Ryoma before, so can not really compare it. But compared to my previous driver (Eon Sports Giga HS-781, 10.5 deg, stock S 54g shaft), on clean shots I do seem to be getting approximately 8-10m distance gains (give or take). It is close to playing a 3 wood, and the lower level blow almost seems like playing an iron. I bought the 10.5 deg version and the flight trajectory is low-mid. Seems slightly lower than the Giga. I have found I need to tee the ball lower than before (I normally tee the ball low already), it is about 5-10mm higher than my playing partner when he tees off with a fairway wood (though, I reckon he tees from the top of Everest). My ideal tee for this driver is at around 35mm. The ball screams off the club face & just keeps going dead straight.

Chris has mentioned before that there's just something about this driver, that the more you hit it, the more you want to keep hitting it. Clean shots are very satisfying and rewarding. However, for off shots, it highly depends on how your ball striking is. At the range, I've seen balls go all over the place! I've found that I don't seem to drift out to the right as much now, possibly due to the club head not being as open as it used to be (may possibly be due to a stiffer/heavier shaft than my old driver). Compared to my playing partner's Syard XT forged, stock S1 flex (non-conforming), the T388 is harder to hit. Due to the smaller club head, it is easy for the hands to roll over more and force the ball off to the left, which I found myself doing at the range. In effect I have eliminated the right, but re-introduced the wild left. The XT forged on the other hand, when I hit at the range, seemed to get similar (possibly a bit more) distance and mis**ts still didn't lose too much distance and going relatively straight. With the right shaft, it seems it is a good, automatic, point & shoot club. As Tario pointed out to my playing partner, it is a good Ryoma rival.

I have played more golf (including range) in the last 2 months than I did in total last year. I feel my game is more consistent than what it used to be and at a point where I can improve slightly in a short amount of time, and this I feel may have helped with the use of this driver. If hypothetically, I were to not play for 3-6 months, I'm not so confident I can game this driver...hence, demanding yet rewarding (sounds like my fiancee at times). Tomorrow I will give this driver another go at a 9 hole course near my home & hopefully will be the same.

In summary, for an average player like myself, this driver is suitable for people who can strike the ball consistently. Mid/low handicap is more of an indicator. I can't work the ball as such, as my skill level is not up to this point. But I find this to be a very satisfying driver once I got the tee height right (which at the range is not possible). It feels superb, and I find it fun & a good challenge to keep improving my ball striking. Having this club has given me the motivation to keep improving my striking. Bad shots will lose a fair bit of distance and accuracy, but for it's size, it seems more forgiving than I initially imagined. Hence, back to the swing doctor this weekend. For those people who are thinking of giving this a go, I can say it is a very special driver. Sure, low/single digit handicappers will have fun with this driver, but those who have a better, more consistent long game than their short game, will also find this an interesting hit.

Sorry about the long winded & random writing! Hope this helps some people decide :tsg_smiley_king:

Nice post. I would agree with everything you said. If they made it in a true 12 degree loft head, I think it would be perfect for me.

Mine arrives this week. Will see how it compares to the Ryoma D1 which is also 10.5. No problem elevating that one so we will see. Saw bogeydogs 500 ball comment. That is a years worth of drivers for me!

I too am really loving this driver. From the very first swing. If some of you remember I talked awhile ago about my distances and going down to lighter and less flex shaft in the GD Z9003. One thing I need to say is that my swing (setup basically) had become really off kilter the last couple years and I didn't realize that until just a couple weeks ago. I mean it got really off to the point that everything from putting to ball striking was affected. I won't get into the details of why this occured but suffice to say that when I did make this discovery and started to setup correctly my swing returned. However I had become so accustomed to the poor swing that once I made the correct one, it felt very foreign. So at present I'm working getting re-accustomed to my "correct" swing.

Back to the T.388. I like everything about this club. It is long, but what I like better is its feel and setup. At first I wasn't hip on the flat black color but I'm liking that now too. It is a workable driver, but I don't think its to its detriment. What I mean is, it'll hit very straight as well. I would expect any type of golfer to be able to hit this unless of course one that is so used to a 460cc head that anything smaller just looks wrong. But, if a smaller head "looks" better to you than this could very well be the ticket. I do find this one of the easist drivers to hit.

I would like to review this driver more up against the KPX and Yonex which I still have, but I want to give my swing a little more time to return fully. I'm still adjusting back to the "correct" feeling if you know what I mean. I really couldn't believe I could've ever gotten so off. I'm amazed that I was able to hit as well as I had. But that's golf and life. Sometimes life just interferes and golf has to take a back seat. I can say that I'm glad to be back golfing in a regular fashion again.

The S-Yard simply is a great driver. I'm very happy to see a sub 400cc head make a return and be able to compete with the likes of any driver out there in terms of feel, distance and performance.