Fairway wood face material.. pros and cons

hiro

I see couple of manufactures use different material for their fairway wood face material

Titanium, stainless SUS630 and ES230 maybe other material that i didn't know... what are the pros and cons between those material . i see that titanium fairway woods have higher price tag.. but are they more superior than ES230 and SUS630

pro and cons on

PLAYABILITY ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS DISTANCE CONTROL FEEL ..

i haven't tried many fairways so i need more information on these tech..

All I can say is the RomaRo Type-R is a unreal. I'm addicted to it's feel, the body is stainless while the face is Forged Cup Ti. It's long, forgiving and just feels & sounds awesome!

Not a fan of full Ti heads, thats more for game improvement models and they use Ti to save on weight for lighter head weights.

Stainless with mirage face seems to be the standard but I'd suggest the new Type-R in FW, UT.

Titanium in a fairway wood gives the same benefits as a driver - save weight in some areas to be postioned elsewhere to maximise clubhead MOI (forgiveness). Much more expensive material, and the smaller clubhead sizes mean the benefits are not so large as that between a Ti 460cc and SS 460cc driver head... so most just use steels.

Obviously Titanium is very strong, but it is not so hard - which is why you'll see small scratches so easily on your driver face and sole... even though the driver is kept in a cover, the sole barely touches grass (let alone takes divots etc) yet it will still scratch a little bit. Same goes for watches if you ever look for a Ti watch - so beware... make sure it's surface hardened in some way ;-)

Mizuno MP fairways seem to be the most well known and very, very well reviewed titanium fairway woods.

(I have FW wood yips... so saves me worrying about them!)

Part of feel is sound and steel headed FWs sound better than TI so the preception is that steel is better....... TI works as stated by others for GI clubs as the heads can be made bigger and thus more forgiving.

I still haven't found anything better than a Sonartec nee Royal Collection which is donkeys years old and have had refinished to make it look new..... don't think the technology in FW heads has moved on in the last few years personally, although shafts have......

Part of feel is sound and steel headed FWs sound better than TI so the preception is that steel is better....... TI works as stated by others for GI clubs as the heads can be made bigger and thus more forgiving...

i think ti faces work even better on smaller heavier player's heads than they do for larger gi clubs. the best feeling/sounding/performing 3w i've played so far is tourstage's x-fw type t. another great line is jbeam's ti faced fw's...small, heavy, and long!

Part of feel is sound and steel headed FWs sound better than TI so the preception is that steel is better....... TI works as stated by others for GI clubs as the heads can be made bigger and thus more forgiving.

I still haven't found anything better than a Sonartec nee Royal Collection which is donkeys years old and have had refinished to make it look new..... don't think the technology in FW heads has moved on in the last few years personally, although shafts have......

I think that the Ryoma F3 has advanced FW performance, it doesn't sound or feel the best but its noticeably straighter by a wide margin imo.

I honestly don't know about a FW as its the one club in my bag I don't buy every new one that interests me, and I'm pretty sure the Technity I game doesn't use Ti in the face, but in a utility I believe the Romaro Ray Type R, is 100% the longest ute I've ever hit, I believe it has a TI face. I'm pretty sure all of the other utes I own do not have TI as the face material, and none of the others feel nearly as hot off the face or generate the distance this club does....