Comparing the Miura Giken Y-Grind Type F vs Type-D

The Miura Giken Type F vs Type D.

Miura Giken has a couple of new variants recently announced called the Y-Grind series Type-D & Type-F blades, both very similar to the blades they already have the market but hand ground with some aggressive new angles and edges.

Of the two models the D & F MG has released 200pcs of each model 100 in a more silver metallic finish and 100 in a flatter silver look x 2 different sets that means a total of 400 of these new blades combined will exist. While it looks like most of their other blades as the base heads are often shared there are still some visual distinctions that are easily noticeable from different angles

post-18-0-03564200-1430681316_thumb.jpg

So why buy these? really they are not so different from what MG already offers but the main difference is the toe grind and face shape. Miura-san has always had toe grinds that were usually more squared and boxed off over what other brands release and on the other side of that extreme is Zodia who has the toe's highest peak closer to the outline of the groove and most other brands are in between. In the photo above you can see the toe's highest point is as far out as you can put it which gives the appearance of a larger longer to toe heel to toe length and also helps push as much weight out for a more centered CG although it is still slightly toward the heel vs the middle.

post-18-0-02447200-1430681443_thumb.jpg

When you have a slightly squared & pushed out toe it also changes the appearance at address, I personally like this look very much as it's lines and shape just look stable and minimal, this shape is the less extreme of the two toe grinds as you will see in the Type F photos, I think the type D is just slightly more boxy than most of MGs other blades. Both irons share some of the best techniques used in my favorite MG iron the MB5003.

post-18-0-95390700-1430681480_thumb.jpg

Back when Miura made some of the Taylormade irons they looked similar to these and later grew a following which TM implemented into some of that eras MB and CB designs after finding that many MB players on tour also preferred this look but how does it compare to the opposite extreme? The Zodia extreme which almost aligns the toe peak with the outer groove edge is a newer look, sharper that some say produce a smaller head profile yet more forgiving as the bulk of the mass sits tighter and closer together. What I would advise is don't pick one and say you like it better, try both and you will notice that your eyes will prefer one of the other but at the same time your result or the overall performance may favor another.

post-18-0-94808200-1430681638_thumb.jpg

XF5A1199-Edit-Edit.jpg

XF5A1305-Edit-Edit.jpg

Type F look fantastic from a shape point of view. Really love the toe look especially from address. Graphics look fine to me as they don't play into the setup nor distract when you're actually playing the club and I don't think they're over the top at all. If I weren't in love with my 909's these would be the clubs I would definitely take a look at.

My son plays the left handed Miura CB's and he loves them to death especially the feel.

Wel ive been hitting the d for afew days.

Trying very hard to like them

It must be the kbs tour pos shaft in the that is seriously affecting my game

They are not easy to hit and feel is ok .

I much prefer a cl of other sets i have to these at the moment. But ill plod on

Trying hard to get a feel for them.

They realy are quite small but not as compact and full as i wud prefer at this size i think htey need a fuller muscle to heighten the impact.

Bit more rounded back wud not be missed.

Seiously goodcloking club tho.

Very easy to pick clean. Thoise excellent ball strikers playingmoff hard pan wud prob love these.

ok in a word.....................

fidgety!

they look warped in hand at address, i threw this down in anguish and frustration yesterday.....

prgr idbl blew them out of my bag permanatly i hit over 50 balls with them. and that will be the last time i go that route.

damn good thing i hit these first rather than my ussual just buy them trick.

i cant put my finger on it , they just look wrong!!!!

fidgety!

they look warped in hand at address, i threw this down in anguish and frustration yesterday.....

prgr idbl blew them out of my bag permanatly i hit over 50 balls with them. and that will be the last time i go that route.

i cant put my finger on it , they just look wrong!!!!

Must have been the day, I'm a mid capper and hit these as well as I hit most blades.

I gotta disagree shape is just stunning! Obviously it's in the eye of the beholder.

• 3 months later...

fidgety!

i cant put my finger on it , they just look wrong!!!![/quote

Stew,

Did you try the type F ? I'm really curious why they didn't work for you, you are usually spot on with Jdm clubs. I really want to pull the trigger but very hesitate, a few others are not too fond it for some old reason.