dial is s**t,lol. ive had high speed for while now. a lot more time spent on surfing the net rather than waiting.

Well I would hope that you have high speed Mike , you do live in Windsor after all . Which is not quite the same as where I live .

But then again I do get to play golf in Canada year round :whistle: :laugh:

I'm in dial-up hell in rural Arizona and max out at 28.8.  Only a mile down the road they have DSL!!  The good news is that I'm working with another guy on sharing his DSL through a wireless network hookup that will run 1.7 miles.  We should be up and running in a week or so.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works for you CL :smile1:

I'm in dial-up hell in rural Arizona and max out at 28.8.  Only a mile down the road they have DSL!!  The good news is that I'm working with another guy on sharing his DSL through a wireless network hookup that will run 1.7 miles.  We should be up and running in a week or so.

what kind of boost to you have to use to get it to work over that distance? and if I stood in the middle could I steal your service? not that I would but it's just a thought...hope that works for you..I hated dial up

Mike...congrats on the new service...one can only do one's nails so many times while waiting for a web site to upload.. :surprize: :wink: :whistle:

what kind of boost to you have to use to get it to work over that distance? and if I stood in the middle could I steal your service? not that I would but it's just a thought...hope that works for you..I hated dial up

Mike...congrats on the new service...one can only do one's nails so many times while waiting for a web site to upload.. :surprize: :wink: :whistle:

Got that right shoe , don't have any nails left on my fingers :laugh:

We've done several wireless installations around southeast Arizona so it won't be like the first time we've tried it. Over that distance we won't really need a signal amplifier. We are using ultra-low loss cable, good access points, directional antennas and should still get about 15-18 dB out of the signal. We could amplify it but you can't go over 26dB without getting a FCC license. We have line of site that is slightly blocked in what is call the fresnel zone by some trees but should still manage a minimum of 2-3 Mbps.

If you were in the middle of us you could possible get a signal but with the security setup we have you probably wouldn't be able to do anything. The fact of the matter is, if a computer is up and running online then it can be hacked. We can block rogue access points by using several methods so we arent' really too worried about it.

i could still be playing golf, but its just a little chilly and nobody would wanna go. plus when my dad bought our computer he wasnt gonna be cheap and buy a nice dell computer and get cheap dial-up internet. he went all -out. but then again golf is much more fun to play than talk about.

We've done several wireless installations around southeast Arizona so it won't be like the first time we've tried it. Over that distance we won't really need a signal amplifier. We are using ultra-low loss cable, good access points, directional antennas and should still get about 15-18 dB out of the signal. We could amplify it but you can't go over 26dB without getting a FCC license. We have line of site that is slightly blocked in what is call the fresnel zone by some trees but should still manage a minimum of 2-3 Mbps.

If you were in the middle of us you could possible get a signal but with the security setup we have you probably wouldn't be able to do anything. The fact of the matter is, if a computer is up and running online then it can be hacked. We can block rogue access points by using several methods so we arent' really too worried about it.

Nice..I wasn't aware you could get by without boosting the signal..technology is such a wonderful thing...and it's even better that it works so well without me having to understand how the heck it does what it do...Ignorance is bliss and I remain a grateful smiling idiot.. :cool: