Speed Stik

migoi

• 1 month later...

I have one and use it two or three times a week, usually as a warmup. It keeps my swing speed up and I'm incorporating it into "The Draw System" to help develop a right to left shot.

The only advice I have is to be careful when first trying it (I've read of pulled muscles from people overswinging) and don't try to swing your club in the same agressive manner you do with the speedstik.

I think it helps your swing. It's not going to make you stronger (although swinging w/ your left side will help you make some muscles stronger) but it does help make your swing more efficient. It will help with your release and keeping the club on plane...and the gauge at the end, while I wouldn't rely on it for your actual swing speed, it does at least show if you're making progress. I think most people that have actually used it have seen some improvement in swing speed....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any thoughts on the Speed Stik as a tool to increase clubhead speed?

Not tried it, but best aid for increasing speed is an old car tyre. ..... use an old club and hit the tyre as if it were the ball. lay the tyre flat on the ground and wack away.. gently at first and then work your way up to full swing. it does several things... builds strength in wrists... teaches correct release and improves the release speed. hit the tyr 50 times or so so then try swinging without it.. you will be amazed!

• 5 weeks later...
Personally I don't get it!

It has some valid uses...but swinging as hard as you can isn't the answer to better golf. Plus, I agree with some of the above posts, that it is a little bit of hype via commercial with Vijay.

Here's an example of be stuck on swing speed.

I was looking for a new driver since mine was several years old and I was getting antsy :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

I went into one of those hitting bays with the screen to show ball flight.

I start hacking away, swinging harder and harder. My swing speed got up to a supposed 138mph and the screen said my drives were going straight and over 340.

Now I know very well, there is no pressure when swinging like this. Put me on a golf course and it's a "different ball game' folks.

When you've got to keep it in play, I am almost sure that most players' swing speed is significantly less then when measured like mine was.

The morale of the story...swing speed has to be controlled enough to keep your ball in the short grass :tsg_smilie_smile:

The morale of the story...swing speed has to be controlled enough to keep your ball in the short grass :tsg_smilie_smile:

Uh. not always, Look at the top 6 in the world ranking & fairways hit %: Tiger 55.2%, Vijay 56.2%, Retief 55.8%, Phil 60.6%, Ernie 59.4%, Sergio 63.5% the morale of the story on tour is the closer you get to the green the better off you are. Hit it around 300 & hit a wedge. :atsg_smilie_circleT:

Besides to get more swing speed you don't need a speed stick, I prefer the Jason Zuback method.

All you need is:

(1)Duct tape

(2)a golf ball

(3)6 iron

Tape the golf ball to the face or in the cavity so the ball is secure & swing away. :tsg_smilie_cool:

I like to loosen up then take 20 swings with the tape ball club contraption, then I'll swing just a shaft with a grip for 20 swings & repeat. As the golftrainer should know, this is a great way to develop clubhead speed. After all what does Jason Zubac know about swing speed? :tsg_smiley_drool:

Edited by the1stunner

Uh. not always, Look at the top 6: Tiger 55.2%, Vijay 56.2%, Retief 55.8%, Phil 60.6%, Ernie 59.4%, Sergio 63.5% the morale of the story on tour is the closer you get to the green the better off you are. Hit it around 300 & hit a wedge. :atsg_smilie_circleT:

That's for the pros with phenomenal short games! Amateurs can't get away with it! And I do hit it 300, but can't make any putts! :tsg_smilie_wah:

That's for the pros with phenomenal short games! Amateurs can't get away with it! And I do hit it 300, but can't make any putts! :tsg_smilie_wah:

I can tell from your picture there, thats the worst putting stroke I have ever seen. Plus it is a 2 stroke penalty to tee it up on the green. :tsg_smilie_confused:

Edited by the1stunner

I can tell from your picture there, thats the worst putting stroke I have ever seen. Plus it is a 2 stroke penalty to tee it up on the green. :tsg_smilie_confused:

Actually...that was one of my typical 300 yard drives :tsg_smilie_cool:

Actually...that was one of my typical 300 yard drives :tsg_smilie_cool:

Actually..I'm very sarcastic. :tsg_smilie_cool:

Actually..I'm very sarcastic. :tsg_smilie_cool:

Good one, Stunner. Been a long time since a post got me laughing.

Re. the Speed Stick, any exercise will increase strength. I got it up to 98 mph which is 10 mph above my actual swing speed. My first reaction was WOW, I'll put a club head on this thing, get it Kwok'ed and rule the munis. Then I thought maybe I'd get to 100 mph with a bit of practice. I no longer exercise but this got me thinking about it.

Like an off-label use for a perscription drug I think it has beneficial but unintended consequences:

I found the sheer length of the Speedstik has a tendency to flatten your plane. Maybe that's OK for some, but I'm flat enough as it is. I found myself replicating the Speedstik swing when playing or practicing and I would actually sometimes stop in mid-swing because it felt too flat. That's something that used to happen to me before I made a very conscious effort to get more upright. The Speedstik wanted to take me back to those dark days so I got rid of it pronto. :tsg_smiley_no: IMO, the Momentus is just as good a training tool. All that being said, I believe the Speedstik did increase my swing speed a couple of miles per hour.

• 3 weeks later...

I met the man who invented or owns the speed stik name, his name is juan elezando :tsg_smilie_whistle: , and he is also vijays swing trainer, but the thing that i find funny is that when the man who owns the speed stik name is vijays swing trainer and vijay DOESNT EVEN USE ONE :tsg_smiley_crazy: is just weird, kinda tells you something, its a crock, what vijay does to warm up (which i suppose many of us know) he just swings a sttel pole, the length of a driver with a steel plate on the end of it, ive held it, and its pretty heavy, i think that would get your swing speed up!!!