dg x-100 to nippon 1150's ... info please

mike0814

i've been a soft-stepped x-100 (irons) guy for sometime now.

i was reading the thread about the nippon 1150 shafts and they peaked my interest. i like the consistency/flat trajectory of the x-100, but am thinking about a softer feeling/more lively/easier to load option (i.e. stiff playing, but smoother feeling).

would the 1150x (perhaps soft-stepped) give me what i desire?

high hitter, 115 ss w/driver, 0 index.

advice appreciated ...

i've been a soft-stepped x-100 (irons) guy for sometime now.

i was reading the thread about the nippon 1150 shafts and they peaked my interest. i like the consistency/flat trajectory of the x-100, but am thinking about a softer feeling/more lively/easier to load option (i.e. stiff playing, but smoother feeling).

would the 1150x (perhaps soft-stepped) give me what i desire?

high hitter, 115 ss w/driver, 0 index.

advice appreciated ...

I am curious to see how this will turn out. I suggest the X-Flex 1150, IMO you will notice everything you wish for, softer, more lively and an easier load while being much more smooth.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

that's good to hear.

would he 1150's offer a similar ballflight to the dg? what is the flex profile of the 1150, e.g. with dg's they are softer in the butt and stiffer in the tip vs. rifle with stiffer butt and softer tip?

would the straight 1150x approximate the dgx with soft-step, i.e. 1/4 flex softer ... or are hey more like a 1/2 flex softer?

The X-100's play closer to a hard stepped 1150. I have the 1150's in x flex. I pulled a set of x-100's to put these babies in and all I can say is.......HOLYs**t!! The feel is 10 times more consistent with the Nippon's. Ballflight wasn't changed much, but the ballooning and inconsistent striking problems were completely corrected. I feel like I have complete control over every shot that I want to hit. I am set for a LONG time in the iron shaft department. I hope this helps you out!!! :cool: :love:

Mike,

Tested the 1150 X. Decided to stick to the X100's. I did a side by side and the trajectory on the 1150 is higher, seems to spin more. Joe bounced it and it is actually weaker than S300's. However, it does not feel all that loose when you actually hit balls. It feels lighter but not significantly so. Quite muted. The X100 are a bit crisper. Given your ball-flight I'd recommend against the 1150's. I'm not a high-ball hitter and even I found it a little uncomfortable. Into the wind, forget it. Takes more work to hit a knock down. I agree that it is very consistent and is definitely a smooth shaft but more difficult to manipulate the trajectory, and on the back nine of Metro that can be a serious liability.

Jose

Mike,

Tested the 1150 X. Decided to stick to the X100's. I did a side by side and the trajectory on the 1150 is higher, seems to spin more. Joe bounced it and it is actually weaker than S300's. However, it does not feel all that loose when you actually hit balls. It feels lighter but not significantly so. Quite muted. The X100 are a bit crisper. Given your ball-flight I'd recommend against the 1150's. I'm not a high-ball hitter and even I found it a little uncomfortable. Into the wind, forget it. Takes more work to hit a knock down. I agree that it is very consistent and is definitely a smooth shaft but more difficult to manipulate the trajectory, and on the back nine of Metro that can be a serious liability.

Jose

... played metro for the first time in awhile this afternoon. there was virtually no roll and the course played long. i hit a few bad shots, but nothing terrible. all in all, it was a very good ball-striking round. finished with 72 ... only 2 birdies ... bogies on 3 and 6. played the srixon zr-s for the first time ... it marks up, but is really good in the wind and feels decent off the putter.

thanks for the feedback. we'll have to get out again.

mike

So, you have the straight up 1150's, which you'd rate as equivalent to the soft-stepped x-1's?

Do, they feel a ton lighter?  Do they swingweight the same or lighter?

Lots of help, yes ... and great avatar ... one of the favorites i've seen.

Hey I play soft-stepped X100s! Try all this stuff out and report back, please LOL!

I glue hardwood dowels in the tips of my X-100s, and also install ProSoft inserts. You still get that accurate, beefy performance, but with a more muted, smoother feel. Nothing else has come close for me so far.