TSG's THE CONTENDER!

TourSpecGolfer

Can you take the medallion off of the J Type irons? If so, how?

Thanks!

Yes it can but i havent done this. I suspect it will say Technica Pro I under that badge like the version in the pro shop.

Thanks,

Chris

Played MP-11's until I wore a hole in the face, tried CB's...hated all of them. I could not get over the "chunky" top line. Played 681's for a while....not too bad. Ruptured a disc in my back and couldn't play for 2.5 years and I felt that I had to change to the CB....2005 was terrible for the scoring average. I decided of course that it was the "bow and not the archer" and switched back to my beloved Mizuno's (MP-37's) and got closer to my pre-injury HCP...Great! Then I read Tom Wishon's book that Chris referenced and it made total sense. That eventually led me to the MIURA CB-1005....AWESOME!!. Granted I am experimenting with the shaft, to lower ball flight, but that is defenitely not the club's fault. The 1005's are IMHO just as good looking at address, if not better than any blade I have seen. I don't have any experience with the 1006's, but I would assume they are real similar.

By the way if anybody has any recommendations for shaft's that would lower ball flight, let me know please.

I've got a set of MP 11s. I haven't worn them out. That said, spent most of the last 14 years raising the kids.

They are great irons.

Played Wednesday in a corporate ambrose and just smashed them at the stick all day. The swing was in the zone.

That said when the swing is ordinary, they are unforgiving. Still using them because on the good days they are simply the best.

I've got a set of MP 11s. I haven't worn them out. That said, spent most of the last 14 years raising the kids.

They are great irons.

Played Wednesday in a corporate ambrose and just smashed them at the stick all day. The swing was in the zone.

That said when the swing is ordinary, they are unforgiving. Still using them because on the good days they are simply the best.

The good days are what keeps us coming back! and sometimes from going completely insane, playing this wonderful game :tsg_smilie_confused:

I still keep wandering ebay aimlessly, looking for a decent set of 11's, but nothing so far. I might just break down, buy a set in any condition and have them refinished :tsg_smilie_money3:

:tsg_smilie_confused: Did you guys notice the Type J classy ferrule! I'm sold!!! :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Ok guys I put in some serious test time on the range, on course and with opinions from other golfers, some pro level and many mid handicappers over the last 10 days.

We also did testing on the launch monitors but it just isnt the same when testing irons.

R7 forged w/ Black Gold R flex Blueprinted

Srizon ZR-600 w/ Black Gold R flex Blueprinted

EPON type J w/ Black Gold R flex Blueprinted

EPON type X w/ Black Gold R flex Blue Printed

All clubs had the exact same specs based on a 38" 5 iron D2 swing weight

No one model was determined best by the group who was able to hit these. I was the only golfer who played several rounds while the others only had range time.

I selected the Type X as my new gamer because I found them easier to play, more forgiving, and easy on the eyes. A shot hit perfect was just as soft as any of the others, shots hit off center clicked and had a different feel but went straighter than the other models. The EPGA guy who helped me test these clubs liked the type X for this very same reason, he knew when he didnt hit it by feel and sound.

The type J I would consider the least forgiving but the best feeling iron i have ever played. mid cappers didnt appreciate this but the low score guys loved it to death. sold 2 sets of the type J based on love at first strike.

The ZR-600 was very forgiving for a players cavity back with a soft/solid feel if that makes any sense to you guys, I had a difficult time hitting them on the mat, but hit the long irons equally as well as I hit the type X's very impressed with these, Srixons best irons yet.

The R7 forged had the most drool factor on the range and to just about anyone who saw them. Its got a soft forged feel to it but not as good as the others, the setup, finish and overall design of the clubs simply work but TM is just not my cup of tea, Miura forged or not.

I just played my first round with the Epon J's Nippon 1150 stiff..

All I can say is If you're a decent ball striker--there cannot be a better iron... PERIOD

There might be other irons just as good--but none any better.

Workability, forgiving, top line, sole design, Feel you can only dream about!

The only thing this iron could possibly lack is major forgiveness out on the

extreme toe or heel...something I could care less about anyway..

They are plenty forgiving enough :tsg_smilie_cool:

I can't remember a time when there was so many excellent iron choices to pick from.. The feel and playbility of these new sets really take irons to a new level.

Edited by madball

• 3 weeks later...

All I can say is If you're a decent ball striker--there cannot be a better iron... PERIOD

I can't remember a time when there was so many excellent iron choices to pick from.. The feel and playbility of these new sets really take irons to a new level.

They are still in my bag most of the time as well. More forgiving than the MP30 thats for sure but setup and feel are unmatched.

Make sure to set your club specs to your lie angle, length and swing weight, dont do that if your in the middle of a swing change!

• 4 weeks later...

CB are okay for your average golfer with normal swing charactistics but guys with steep angles of attack

and high launch need blades.

I play 670's but I carry a 681 2 iron, there's a considerable difference in between the high muscle 681 and

my 670 2 iron, both have the same shaft fitted S300 so sort of blows the CG does not equal ball flight

discussion out of the water, the 681 wins hands down esp in windy conditions and trajectory/distance control

I'd play all 681's but for chrome loss on my other set. I'd like to get them re-chromed and some Tungsten

porting work done on them. Only other irons I'd play are Cobra Norman Blades, some of the older compact Mizuno

heads, some Wilson and MacGregor sets.

There's a lot of blade players here longing for the older days, the strong MB is a dying breed

CB are okay for your average golfer with normal swing charactistics but guys with steep angles of attack

and high launch need blades.

I play 670's but I carry a 681 2 iron, there's a considerable difference in between the high muscle 681 and

my 670 2 iron, both have the same shaft fitted S300 so sort of blows the CG does not equal ball flight

discussion out of the water, the 681 wins hands down esp in windy conditions and trajectory/distance control

I'd play all 681's but for chrome loss on my other set. I'd like to get them re-chromed and some Tungsten

porting work done on them. Only other irons I'd play are Cobra Norman Blades, some of the older compact Mizuno

heads, some Wilson and MacGregor sets.

There's a lot of blade players here longing for the older days, the strong MB is a dying breed

Muscle back men like yourself need to hit some of the following then:

Fourteen Forged MB

BERES TW902

Miuraism MB

Srixon Pro-100

Royal Collection MB

KZG MB

Cust. Mizuno Grind 33, 37, 67

It seems to me like you value accuracy over much and live for the low controlled penetrating shot. :tsg_smilie_cool:

you gotta be happy with at least one of those options right?

Picture-571_001.jpg

ZR-600 - Type J - R7 Forged

Picture-576.jpg

R7 Forged - Type J - ZR-600

Picture-578.jpg

Picture-579.jpg

Picture-582.jpg

Picture-584.jpg

R7 Forged on Top, Type J in the center, ZR-600 on bottom

Picture-587.jpg

I am going to put the same shaft, length, lie, loft, grip and swing weight on each set and see which i like best their are factors that have me leaning in all directions. I havent tried the ZR-600 yet but the sole looks so easy to hit. The R7 forged is gone gone gone in Japan and TSG has the last remaining sets available, some people are saying its miura forged. The Type J has given me no reason to switch, they perform and feel better than anything i have hit to date but my nature as ho is to test test test. Anyway this is no official shoot out or anything its just me giving my honest opinion on what set i liked best and why. The winner of course will make it into my bag.

Picture-573.jpg

The Endos are so sweet looking; I can understand why they haven't left the bag. I really want a set of these sticks!

Edited by BigBen

• 2 weeks later...
i was wondering what the whole short hosel thing was - seen this on a few set of irons recently.

The longer hosel makes the Center Of Gravity (COG) higher and shorter hosel makes the COG lower.

The lower COG makes the ball fly easier because sweet spot is lower in engineering sense. But in reality, many people still love the feel of blade, including me. I own both blades and cavity back irons and I am still confuse what I like best. When my swing is good, blade works wonder but when my swing is off, I don't even dare to pick up the club!

I was lucky enough to spend time with quite a few tour pros in the mid-late 70's. Knudson, Trevino and Sanders all were master shotmakers. One of the drills I learned from watching them was to be able to hit 3-5 different clubs from every distance between 100-150 yards. I learned to hit low fading, spinning 120yd 7-irons and high, soft draws with 120 yd wedges.

My point is that the blades of that era (plus balata balls) made that level of shotmaking possible. There may never be another shotmaker at Trevino's level again IMO!!

With today's equipment and balls, I'm still looking for the combination that let's me feel like that 1970's shotmaker. Any suggestions from Chris or readers at TSG is very much appreciated. I want my next purchase to be more than a needle in the haystack!!

I agree with your comments and also those of Chris. Although I am nowhere near your standard of +2 (mate quit your day job :tsg_smilie_cool: ) I have never struck the ball as well with CB's as blade profile iron. I came to the conclusion that it is the off-set, bounce and sole grind for me that makes the difference. I went from MP-29 to RAC LT when I had a bad run with the MP 2 & 3 irons.....Although really nice irons, I became frustrated with my LT's not being able to produce the trajectory I liked. I have never been much of a fan of blade profile CB's untill I got these 300's - perfect (for me) the TM combo of a few years ago was OK but I didnt like that CB in that set.......I would ideally like a combo set with blades as the scoring clubs. The 300's are pure and I will be excited to try the R7's which Chris assures me are even better. I also tried a tour players (high world ranking) blade a few years back.......this was no butter knife.......thich top line...a tad offset.....thicker sole than standard..........a whole lot of metal in there! Perfect! My thoughts are that a neo-style blade or a CB similar to the 300's / r7 forged are the go.........

Ok guys I put in some serious test time on the range, on course and with opinions from other golfers, some pro level and many mid handicappers over the last 10 days.

We also did testing on the launch monitors but it just isnt the same when testing irons.

R7 forged w/ Black Gold R flex Blueprinted

Srizon ZR-600 w/ Black Gold R flex Blueprinted

EPON type J w/ Black Gold R flex Blueprinted

EPON type X w/ Black Gold R flex Blue Printed

All clubs had the exact same specs based on a 38" 5 iron D2 swing weight

No one model was determined best by the group who was able to hit these. I was the only golfer who played several rounds while the others only had range time.

I selected the Type X as my new gamer because I found them easier to play, more forgiving, and easy on the eyes. A shot hit perfect was just as soft as any of the others, shots hit off center clicked and had a different feel but went straighter than the other models. The EPGA guy who helped me test these clubs liked the type X for this very same reason, he knew when he didnt hit it by feel and sound.

The type J I would consider the least forgiving but the best feeling iron i have ever played. mid cappers didnt appreciate this but the low score guys loved it to death. sold 2 sets of the type J based on love at first strike.

The ZR-600 was very forgiving for a players cavity back with a soft/solid feel if that makes any sense to you guys, I had a difficult time hitting them on the mat, but hit the long irons equally as well as I hit the type X's very impressed with these, Srixons best irons yet.

The R7 forged had the most drool factor on the range and to just about anyone who saw them. Its got a soft forged feel to it but not as good as the others, the setup, finish and overall design of the clubs simply work but TM is just not my cup of tea, Miura forged or not.

Could this mean that the testing might have a slight bias since TM isn't your cup of tea??? I hate to read that my clubs that I have just ordered and am waiting for get the last place finish. :tsg_smiley_no: Well one man's trash is anothers gold mine right? The R7's are definitly the most beautiful looking set. Are they about the same size as the standard R7 TP with about the same amount of offset???

Could this mean that the testing might have a slight bias since TM isn't your cup of tea??? I hate to read that my clubs that I have just ordered and am waiting for get the last place finish. :tsg_smiley_no: Well one man's trash is anothers gold mine right? The R7's are definitly the most beautiful looking set. Are they about the same size as the standard R7 TP with about the same amount of offset???

Lets put it this way, most people have a posotive bias for what they sell and negative for what they cant get. The difference with me is I will give it straight with brands i have in stock, Could it hurt the sales of the item sure, but im not so hard up for cash that i spin products out the door like several others on the web. I really do believe in most of the products we sell. This was not a formal test at all, just my opinion on the sets i had at that time, which are all gone already as the Type J's are treating me well. Its been a switch from J to X, X to J, and so on.

TM is not my cup of tea indeed but the R7 forged is IMO their best set of all time. I still own a set and play them from time to time. the sole and shape are among the best anywhere period but that epon feel has got me coming back. I choose their wedges, irons, and drivers. I pass on their FW, too muted for my taste.

To answer your question the TP just doesnt have the style or flare in setup as the R7 Limited, its about the same amount of offset but im not exactly sure on the numbers of that.

Lets put it this way, most people have a posotive bias for what they sell and negative for what they cant get. The difference with me is I will give it straight with brands i have in stock, Could it hurt the sales of the item sure, but im not so hard up for cash that i spin products out the door like several others on the web. I really do believe in most of the products we sell. This was not a formal test at all, just my opinion on the sets i had at that time, which are all gone already as the Type J's are treating me well. Its been a switch from J to X, X to J, and so on.

TM is not my cup of tea indeed but the R7 forged is IMO their best set of all time. I still own a set and play them from time to time. the sole and shape are among the best anywhere period but that epon feel has got me coming back. I choose their wedges, irons, and drivers. I pass on their FW, too muted for my taste.

To answer your question the TP just doesnt have the style or flare in setup as the R7 Limited, its about the same amount of offset but im not exactly sure on the numbers of that.

Thats cool, I think in the end it is a personal choice anyways. We want to believe we buy things for function over looks just like how we pick our significant others but in the end it really is the looks that appeal to us at first. The R7 Forged is damn sexy and I am kinda a brand name ho when it comes to my clubs. But I also fell into this trap when I bought my MP32's. Hopefully the forged will be my end all for irons. THe R7 TP's I have now feel to big and look to big to me at address. And if you and others on other sites have all said the forged are the best for TM ever than I am satisified with that since they do make pretty damn good clubs. I've never hit the other clubs mentioned on your list but maybe I'm better for not hitting them or else I could be ho'n more clubs....must....stop.....running....out of ......cash......

• 1 month later...

Hey Madball,

What would you compare the forgiveness of the Type Js with any domestics, (i.e. 695cb, tm R7 tp, MP-60, etc)? Thanks!