Sakamoto wedges???

Jefferson

Hi!

I'm a new writer, long time reader..

Just had to register to ask this Q:

There are some very nice looking Japanese Sakamoto (SMG) wedges for sale at e-bay.

Has anyone EVER heard of them, or even used them? Why cant I find any info on them? A scam?

thanks,

J.

Never heard of them until today. no ads in japanese magazines or company information.

• 9 months later...

I've still never heard of them and I read almost every Japanese golf publication monthly... I also did a search on them in Japanese and nothing came up. It's possible they have a Japanese name but are not a Japanese brand.

There is a little bit more info at this link J2 golf based in Sindapore

http://www.j2golf.com/products/products.html

Too hot to play this morning so I hit a tray from the mat.

I hate mats but first impressions are good. Soft but meaty impact sensation and plenty of spin. Bounce angles are fine and the grind works even when laying them open. Will provide a proper report once I have played a few rounds.

After two rounds I do not feel like I know these wedges very well but can say the following.

1. The finish and craftsmanship appears to be very good.

2. The grinds and bounces work well from full shots to open faced flops and in bunkers. Personally I don't like a lot of bounce. Others may feel differently.

3. The heads feel softer and more communicative than the Mizuno MPT raw haze I was using for six months.

4. The ball spins as much as you would imagine and half shots will certainly shave the covers. To check damage I played two entire rounds with one Nike Distance*Soft for each round. I would not put either ball back in play. But then I never use a ball for more than one round anyway.

5. I dropped a couple of balls in rough about two inches long so that they were completely covered by the grass. I managed to achieve some check spin pitching twenty yards onto the green. Previously, I only managed that with spin milled Vokeys so I would say they are quite similar in that regard but these heads have a better feel.

I'm not saying these wedges are God's gift to us golfers but, for now, they will stay in the gamer bag. I have a feeling they will only get better as I get used to them and suspect they are capable of delivering impressive results in tough situations. I don't think they are the sort of wedges you go out on day one and get the best out of them, but maybe that's just me.

Edited by Milo

• 2 years later...

just got a new set , very good loking clubs very bouncy beautiful weight/balance. great to shoot at the pin 52* + 58*.

Edited by supo67

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using a Sakamoto 52* for more than a year, I live in Singapore so I managed to get to the clubmaker and try the club before I got one made. It is a very good wedge although it is not as soft and buttery as my 56* Muira. It has a bit of the clicky sound and feels a bit harder than the Miura. However, it makes the Vokeys and Clevelands I have (and I have a bunch of them) feel really hard. The thing still cuts up the ball after a year of use. This and my Miura have been in my bag since I got them. They displaced about 15 different wedges from Vokeys to Clevelands and I am considering getting another pair. The grind is just right me me especially when the courses here in Singapore get a bit soggy. From 60-70m out it is an automatic choice. For me it is also a good chipping wedge if I need to run the ball up a little more than I can with the 56* Muira. Being a high handicapper I cannot get the ball to check (even after 20 years playing) but the wedge works for me. In my humble opinion, if you are interested, get one and try it. I think you may like it.