Best SPOON 3-wood - which one is your favorite ?

ClubHoUno

Vote for the best 3-wood !  

50 members have voted

1. 1. It has be be great both off the deck and from the tee !

• Titleist 906 F2 3W
    • Sonartec GS Tour 3W
    • Tourstage X-drive 3W
    • Royal Collection BBD Type 2 3W
    • Epon Technica 3W
    • G-Field GFT 3W
    • Srixon Z-Steel 3W
    • Taylor Made R7 Ti Tp

I need to find a new 3 wood to go along with a potential new driver for my summer 2007 bag (I'll buy either the Epon 460 driver or the Tourstage X-driver 460 P).

I don't particularly like the design and appearance of the Epon 3 wood, but if it performs great, I'll consider it.

Sonartec will release a GS Tour next month and I really like Sonartec woods, but don't know if Royal Collection will bring out some new stuff too for the 2007 season :tsg_smilie_whistle:

Am I correct when I think Royal Collection and Sonartec have the same relationship as Tourstage and Bridgestone ?

I don't like it to be too deep faced, nor do I want it to be too mid faced, it has to be great off the deck AND at least good off the tee.

Sonartec SS-3.5 was a bit too deep faced and Sonartec SS-2.5 was too midfaced, am I being picky here :tsg_smilie_wink:

Please vote and post your opinions :atsg_logo_anim:

NB I know we have another 3 wood poll in this forum, but only with 4 contenders !

RC is the parent company of Sonartec. The GS Tour from Sonartec is in fact the RC CV Pro from almost 2 years ago. It is a fantastic wood, very highly rated and all around performer. If you don't want a wood too deep , the GFT FW is a good choice. Very easy to hit. The X-Drive, the older one that is I found harder to get in the air off the deck, I thought it was pretty deep faced.

I've never hit it but from what I've heard, the PRGR M3 Hit is the easiest 3 wood around.

RC is the parent company of Sonartec. The GS Tour from Sonartec is in fact the RC CV Pro from almost 2 years ago. It is a fantastic wood, very highly rated and all around performer. If you don't want a wood too deep , the GFT FW is a good choice. Very easy to hit. The X-Drive, the older one that is I found harder to get in the air off the deck, I thought it was pretty deep faced.

I've never hit it but from what I've heard, the PRGR M3 Hit is the easiest 3 wood around.

Wow - so I guessed correctly.

Sonartec and Royal Collection have the same kind of relationship as Bridgestone and Tourstage :tsg_smiley_yes:

Sonartec gets the old technology from Royal Collection, just like Bridgestone does :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Do you know what kind of face depth and performance I'll get in the newer Royal Collection BBD compared to the upcoming Sonartec GS Tour ?

:atsg_smilie_bbd:

Have you tried the new Tourstage X-Drive 3 wood - it should be arriving at stores 12/27-2006 ? :atsg_logo_anim:

How about the G_field 3wood - any love for that :tsg_smiley_gfield:

@@ TSG: We need some Epon smilies in here to chose from - please make some :tsg_smiley_factory:

Edited by Claus

I voted GFT, second place would be the Srixon Z-Steel. Word around is that Japan simply didnt want USA to sell the Z-Steel.

The GFT is all around a great performer, we do have the sonartec line also and can do custom face and lie angles for you.

Sorry to say but if you havent purchased the 460P yet you are SOL, only 1000 made and not every shop is getting one in Japan. we have 3 secured but those are all sold already. 1000pcs of a driver that hot is almost nothing. This is not Maru wedge rare its 10 times harder to get than that ever was.

I have to back up Chris's sentiments about the G-Field GFT fairway wood. It is a great performing wood. I've hit many great shots with it and the PT-8 shaft by Graphite Design. I'm starting to understand that shaft and how it performs. Played today and didn't miss a shot with that 4-wood.

I myself am thinking about the new 3-wood by TourStage but I've yet to hit it.

I like my old Honma Twin Marks Dual Attack 15*.

The Gauge also looks good.

Probably haven't been much help, but I thought I put in my 2 cents worth. :tsg_smilie_wink:

BTW what's you favorite utility hybrid club ?

Anyone knows what kind of hybrid Sonartec will be releasing this spring/summer ?

Maybe an old Royal Collection hybrid club ?

The MD will continue in the Sonartec lineup, so maybe it'll be a mix of the MD and the old TRC hybrid - or a club from Roayl Collection I don't know of :tsg_smilie_whistle: :tsg_smilie_confused:

I like a hybrid club with a V shaped sole, that will go through the rough with ease as oppose to long irons.

I'm long with my driver, but also pretty oblique. So hit a lot of Par 5 green's from the rough with my hybrid.

Don't fancy the look of either the Tourstage nor the Fourteen hybrid clubs - the G-Field looks pretty good though.

In fact I like the Bridgestone hybrids very very much - based on looks alone, the Bridgestone J33 hybrid is wayyy better looking than the Tourstage X-UT hybrids. I own two of the Bridgestone J33 hyrbrids, and besides a somewhat wide head, this hybrids is probably the best ever made hybrid for me.

I hit it even better than the Taylor Made Rescue Dual TP and the new Titleost 585H hyrids - and they are GREAT hybrids, so this Bridgestone hybrid is not only a great looker but an equally grreat performer - 9.5/10.

But as a true club HO's and HIGH TECH freak, I'm always looking for the next new thing.

Why do I change my cellular 3-4 times a year when I don't need the extra 2 GB of storage in my cellular and I don't need the extra fast Wireless :tsg_smilie_whistle: :tsg_smilie_money3:

Why do I have to buy the next new golf gear, when the old clubs from 2005 still works great :tsg_smiley_laughatyou: :tsg_smilie_money3:

Because I'm a club HO and High Tech geek :tsg_smiley_yes: :tsg_smilie_cool:

Edited by Claus

BTW what's you favorite utility hybrid club ?

Anyone knows what kind of hybrid Sonartec will be releasing this spring/summer ?

Maybe an old Royal Collection hybrid club ?

The MD will continue in the Sonartec lineup, so maybe it'll be a mix of the MD and the old TRC hybrid - or a club from Roayl Collection I don't know of :tsg_smilie_whistle: :tsg_smilie_confused:

I like a hybrid club with a V shaped sole, that will go through the rough with ease as oppose to long irons.

I'm long with my driver, but also pretty oblique. So hit a lot of Par 5 green's from the rough with my hybrid.

Don't fancy the look of either the Tourstage nor the Fourteen hybrid clubs - the G-Field looks pretty good though.

In fact I like the Bridgestone hybrids very very much - based on looks alone, the Bridgestone J33 hybrid is wayyy better looking than the Tourstage X-UT hybrids. I own two of the Bridgestone J33 hyrbrids, and besides a somewhat wide head, this hybrids is probably the best ever made hybrid for me.

I hit it even better than the Taylor Made Rescue Dual TP and the new Titleost 585H hyrids - and they are GREAT hybrids, so this Bridgestone hybrid is not only a great looker but an equally grreat performer - 9.5/10.

But as a true club HO's and HIGH TECH freak, I'm always looking for the next new thing.

Why do I change my cellular 3-4 times a year when I don't need the extra 2 GB of storage in my cellular and I don't need the extra fast Wireless :tsg_smilie_whistle: :tsg_smilie_money3:

Why do I have to buy the next new golf gear, when the old clubs from 2005 still works great :tsg_smiley_laughatyou: :tsg_smilie_money3:

Because I'm a club HO and High Tech geek :tsg_smiley_yes: :tsg_smilie_cool:

Hey claus,

being your now a frequent member here please allow me to make some bag suggestions to you based from what you have said in posts and that you are a techie.

I see your using Sonartec / Bridgestone clubs upgrade to RC / Tourstage test them both in a shaft you know you like and see what your heart desires more. I would actually suggest the new SF206 over anything RC has put out in the last year including the H2 FW. Also keep in mind tourstage X-models are for pro level players while bridgestone is geared toward the majority of average golfers. The X-UT is a low flying open faced steel headed 455 miraged faced monster that is rather demanding when compared to your bridgestones. the new RC Hybrid just released is supposed to be another hot club and you may see it late 2007 as a sonartec model. GFT and Z-Steel are other hot hot clubs right now also some golfers are loving hte mizuno JPX with a shaft change, some guys that almost buy everything swear by it. Another trend in recent on the PGA and JPGA tour is playing hybrids more upright and getting the lie angle on drivers adjusted.

Im sure you like the Tour Dass head but DASS and GSS shouldnt be so darn expensive as its simply heat treated SUS303 or SUS304. Imo bettinardi is in need of a new face insert or milling design, across the board ( and I am a former JPN bett collector ) they feel crisp and clicky at impact, on the mitchell putter fitting studio they have more skips off the start than Yes, ASGI, and other mid tier putters. Honey comb is cool and all but the feel and roll is sorta outdated, Dont forget to get your lie and loft adjusted on your putter, makes all the difference to your putting game, many people play what specs putters come stock in and let me tell you lots of times they are not the same specs they state they are. If your using a 2.5 loft now try a 4* loft to test side by side, may not be for you but it will teach you a bit and give you some reference on the topic. Premium zone, golds factory, TM Rsi, Hiro Matsumoto, and a few others will give you a softer feel at impact, the premium zone on video provides a roll equal to a yes putter but feels softer and more rewarding.

Gotta try some of the soft quality forged Japanese irons with the specs you play in your current set, lie,loft, length, swing weight etc.. this way you can put them up against what you play now and notice the difference.

Oh yeah and as a fellow techie may i suggest a samsung or sony 1080P TV and some sort of HD-DVD or Blueray device. use pure HDMI to keep it 100% digital with no conversion from analog. Great thing is that most of these new 1080P players upconvert your 480 DVD's to 720P/1080i. As custom fitting is important to golf it is important to ultra high def TV's it runs abuot 300 but your TV looks more crisp by having a pro come by and configure it. Not sure if this stuff is even available in your neck of the woods but im sure you wil LOOOOVE it as I do. Difference is huge!

Hey claus,

being your now a frequent member here please allow me to make some bag suggestions to you based from what you have said in posts and that you are a techie.

I see your using Sonartec / Bridgestone clubs upgrade to RC / Tourstage test them both in a shaft you know you like and see what your heart desires more. I would actually suggest the new SF206 over anything RC has put out in the last year including the H2 FW. Also keep in mind tourstage X-models are for pro level players while bridgestone is geared toward the majority of average golfers. The X-UT is a low flying open faced steel headed 455 miraged faced monster that is rather demanding when compared to your bridgestones. the new RC Hybrid just released is supposed to be another hot club and you may see it late 2007 as a sonartec model. GFT and Z-Steel are other hot hot clubs right now also some golfers are loving hte mizuno JPX with a shaft change, some guys that almost buy everything swear by it. Another trend in recent on the PGA and JPGA tour is playing hybrids more upright and getting the lie angle on drivers adjusted.

Im sure you like the Tour Dass head but DASS and GSS shouldnt be so darn expensive as its simply heat treated SUS303 or SUS304. Imo bettinardi is in need of a new face insert or milling design, across the board ( and I am a former JPN bett collector ) they feel crisp and clicky at impact, on the mitchell putter fitting studio they have more skips off the start than Yes, ASGI, and other mid tier putters. Honey comb is cool and all but the feel and roll is sorta outdated, Dont forget to get your lie and loft adjusted on your putter, makes all the difference to your putting game, many people play what specs putters come stock in and let me tell you lots of times they are not the same specs they state they are. If your using a 2.5 loft now try a 4* loft to test side by side, may not be for you but it will teach you a bit and give you some reference on the topic. Premium zone, golds factory, TM Rsi, Hiro Matsumoto, and a few others will give you a softer feel at impact, the premium zone on video provides a roll equal to a yes putter but feels softer and more rewarding.

Gotta try some of the soft quality forged Japanese irons with the specs you play in your current set, lie,loft, length, swing weight etc.. this way you can put them up against what you play now and notice the difference.

Oh yeah and as a fellow techie may i suggest a samsung or sony 1080P TV and some sort of HD-DVD or Blueray device. use pure HDMI to keep it 100% digital with no conversion from analog. Great thing is that most of these new 1080P players upconvert your 480 DVD's to 720P/1080i. As custom fitting is important to golf it is important to ultra high def TV's it runs abuot 300 but your TV looks more crisp by having a pro come by and configure it. Not sure if this stuff is even available in your neck of the woods but im sure you wil LOOOOVE it as I do. Difference is huge!

Hey Chris,

Thanks for all your advice - you also sound like a Hightech geek - just like me :tsg_smilie_cool:

I've been considering these 1080p Tv's as some of the stations I watch have started broadcasting in Highdefinition. I currently own a 50" Pioneer PDP 507 XD plasma and consider getting myself a 40" Samsung LCD for the bedroom.

I'm about to purchase a HD-DVD player, but am a bit disappointed they haven't released one with recording capacity yet :tsg_smilie_sad:

I think the big movie companies are afraid of a situation where the consumer can record movies and TV broadcasting in HighDefinition quality.

Have you taken the Blueray road or the HD-DVD road ?

Regarding HDMI, I already have my Plasma connected using HDMI signal.

BTW I'm also a computer geek - I make my own Pc's from scratch - buying CPU's, ram's, harddrives, motherboard, PSU's, GPU's and computer cases and bulding them from scratch is another hobby of mine.

I've probably build all of my friends and relatives PC's from scratch - I shouldn't have done this as the phone rings endlessly now and I have to take care of their small problems, usually caused by themselves :tsg_smilie_sad:

I would never buy a PC prebuild by a company - I take pride in buliding them myself from scratch - just like I ought to do with my golfclubs :atsg_logo_anim:

Back to golf......

The SF206, you are referring to is not made by Royal Collection, but by Fourteen - correct ?

Have you tried the SF206 wood ?

What is the H2 wood from Royal Collection - an older model similar to the upcomming Sonartec GS tour ?

My plan is to purchase a new bag of JDM equipment (what does JDM mean - Japanese Domestic.....??) - I'll probably order it in march, so it'll be ready for may/june. Since you so kindly give me advice regarding my golf club purchase - here is a list of what I probably would purchase - would you be so kind and point out your favorite in each category, Chris ?

Driver:

Epon 460

Tourstage X-Driver 460 (may I ask why you still have the X-drive in your avatar, when you actually prefer the Epon 460 driver ?)

3-Wood:

G-Field GFT

Tourstage X-driver

Royal Collection BBD

Fourteen SF206

Hybrid:

Royal Collection (the new model you're referring to)

G-Field CFT

Irons MB:

Fourteen T-1000

Tourstage X-blade 3 (soon to come, I guess)

Irons CB:

Tourstage X-blade Cb 2

Mizuno Mp-60 Custom grind satin

Epon Type J

Wedges:

Zodia custom made (how come you don't sell Zodia wedges anymore)

Scratch custom made

Mizuno custom made black nickel Mp-R

Tourstage X-wedge 2007

Epon X-model

Putter:

I'm sorry, but I'm stuck with my Bettinardi Tour DASS, my Scotty Studio Style Newport 2 and Scotty Red X

The honeycomb technology might be outdated, but I like the design of this putter and stainless putters in general. I've tried Odyssey insert putter (talk about crappy craftmanship), YES putters, Rossa AGSI putters and I prefer the basic simple classic design of a putter and NO soft inserts.

Don't fancy the G-field putters in particular - I have to like what I see when looking down on a putter, so no matter how great it rolls the ball, I still have to like what I see before I make the putte stroke - and colored plates on an anser style putter is not for me.

Regarding the Epon wedges - could you tell me if the Cu finish will rust ?

I also wonder if you have tested the Epon HG model - it looks really strange, what is it designed for and why this odd look -is it really great out of bunkers ?

I guess you could say that I like the craftmanship of japanse golf gear, but as soon as the technolgy takes over, I'm turned off a bit. I have to love the design of the golf gear I use. I like new technology and evolution in Japan golf gear, if this technolgy is well designed - then I'm a fan ! But if it's ugly bad design it has to be well hidden somewhere inside the golfclub or deep inside the cavity, so I'm not turned off by the bad looks of it.

I find that the achilles heel of Japan golf gear is when the technology takes over from the design.

Asian people have a another perception of great design than us European guys do.

Take a look at cars from Japan - Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Nissan, Lexus, Honda etc. - their design is square, boxy and without curves and actual style. They sell well in Europe because Japan makes cars that works for an affordable price - not because of their good looks and beautiful design.

Honda did not make a car with good solid design until they were overtaken by Rover and later on BMW.

It's these small differences that I find is funny and what differentiates us.

I've always wondered why Korean and Japanese people liked their cellulars to have outside big antennas :tsg_smilie_confused: (I know why they love them outside in the US, it's because of LOUSY poor reception)

Nokia and Sony-Ericsson had to make several models with outside antennas for the asian market, while the models for Europe has inside antennas :atsg_logo_anim:

Edited by Claus

Yes im using Blue Ray (PS3) and HD-DVD ( Xbox360 HD add on ) on the Sony XBR2, The blueray is connected via HDMI and the HD-DVD using component. Also connected to the same setup is a Direct TV DVR and the Sony VGX-XL2 wonder system, four Omnistat speakers, JBL sub woofer, and a Nakamichi reciever. I tried at first to configure this setup on my own but ended up paying Magnolia to do the work for me. It gets worse, Im also using the Sony UX portable and HDR-SR1 1080i video camera. What im finding is that sony works best with sony products and doesnt work at all with anything from Microsoft due to sync to green problems. If you like to build PC's are you aware gochin is world famous as he was on team Japan for building some of the worlds fastest computers in special events, He is in Japanese magazines and has done interviews for his work. Top notch, im glad to have people like him and yourself as members.

The SF206 is a really solid FW, the only reason why i dont use it is because the GFT 4 wood and PT-7 combo has never let me down. If i didnt have the GFT i would be using the SF206 with PT-7 shaft for sure! Mizuno JPX is another one some members swear by. Plus1 and Dcc14 can give you feedback on their results with that club.

The H2 is a newer model, its the BBD type H2 released about 4-6 months ago in Japan. It could be the wood that comes after the GS Tour. I think the GS Tour is more similar to Japans older model the first BBD, dont quote me on that though, perhaps another person may have the DL on that.

JDM = Japan Domestic Market

Driver: Epon ( easy ) I have not had anytime with the XD-460 besides 2 holes and into my swing cage. feels great, but until i get it on the course i dont really know to be honest. Avatar is because i like the way it looks, I mean we do have so many accounts and you will see my avatar change from time to time based on the mood im in. Epon sells itself, no marketing but via word of mouth its doing great. Epon is our #1 selling driver by far based on how few we see in the B/S/T's i think people feel its a gamer.

FW: GFT for me, i havent hit the X-Drive FW yet, I have hit the Z-Steel, JPX, BBD H2 and fourteen.

Z-Steel/SF206 are very close, maybe tied. I just lean toward steel FW's because i like the feel.

Hybrid: G-Field GFT UT 22* with my 4 wood is a perfect combo, its shafted with the Tour AD UT-85 ( what a gem ) in regards to others depends on what you like the Fourteen UT-106 is dumb easy to hit, so is the PRGR 320CX. Tourstage X-UT is just too demanding even with the graphite shaft in it, feel is imo the best though. Im waiting on my samples of the EPON UT, for now i rate the GFT as number one. keep in mind its HOT almost too long i first figured 16* and 20* would be good but the UT flies too long so i had to jump on the 22* very good afordable UT club.

Irons: depends on what your eye tells you to love. feel and forgiveness is very important to me, their are to many options, i dont suggest MB's to anyone unless you got quite a bit of head speed and game. usually i only suggest them to scratch or better players. I guess it all depends on your ball striking, mine is pretty decent so i can handle the type J's. Im playing the PRO-II right now as i have been working a lot and have not had a lesson in ages. your going to have to check things out on your own and setup the specs to what you know you like. If i build them for you we must make sure the lofts are equal or a tad stronger to what you play now, nothing worse than a player getting new clubs and thinking they suck because he or she hits them shorter than the set previous.

Wedges: Zodia doesnt make those wedges anymore, i can add the new ones to the catalog soon but they are not that pretty. my favorite wedges by far is the EPON model X in NiCr20 finish. only 12 52* and 12 58* exist in the entire world. they just arrived yesterday morning. I have the custom finish MP-R wedges with running bird logo only on it, its ordered coming late Jan with running bird stamp satin MP-67's. Will post um when i got them. G-Field GFT wedges are a gem also but on heavy back order in Japan. Im sorry i cant get them at this moment.

The epon HG wedge was not for me, thick topline dumb easy to hit but i wanted compact. I was using the BERES L101 with axiv 950M on it before the model X, very good wedge but its got a tiny head.

In regards to putters you may want to try a golds factory putter if your looking for somthing simple and traditional with Japanese quality.

In regards to cars lets not get into that in this thread it will go on forever. I will say i love euro cars style and branding but Japanese performance and features. You can however make a post in out of bounds and ill check it out.

The phones in Japan are off the wall, have you seen? its insane. the reason why they offer optional antennas for the asian market is imo because their is so much tech gear in use that can get in the way of clear reception, also the fact that their are many buildings that can block your signal.

In the end we all need to make our own decisions based on our personal taste. These are just my suggestions based on my personal testing and what has worked for my swing. what works for me may not work well for others. I just wish their were more hardcore golf junkies who do more than simply scratch the surface as we see on other web sites.

If you like to build PC's are you aware gocchin is world famous as he was on team Japan for building some of the worlds fastest computers in special events, He is in Japanese magazines and has done interviews for his work. Top notch, im glad to have people like him and yourself as members.

Why thank you Chris... we all know how fun technology is. It's great to be a member here too. :tsg_smilie_cool:

For me the GS Tour is identical to the CV Pro:

gstour.jpg

I personally use the GFT-FW as Chris does, also its a 4 wood too. I do have an X-ST but as I mentioned I have a hard time getting it in the air off the deck.

And Claus, not all Japanese cars are boxy and square, maybe the sub-compact economy ones that make it to Europe. It's not like that in Japan, there are still many sleek classy rockets out there. :tsg_smilie_smile:

As for antennas on phones in Japan, it's not for clearer reception as in Japan reception is king, there is nary a spot where you will NOT get a signal, they have antennas because most phones now have TV capabilites and it's for watching TV.

Edited by gocchin

Yes im using Blue Ray (PS3) and HD-DVD ( Xbox360 HD add on ) on the Sony XBR2, The blueray is connected via HDMI and the HD-DVD using component. Also connected to the same setup is a Direct TV DVR and the Sony VGX-XL2 wonder system, four Omnistat speakers, JBL sub woofer, and a Nakamichi reciever. I tried at first to configure this setup on my own but ended up paying Magnolia to do the work for me. It gets worse, Im also using the Sony UX portable and HDR-SR1 1080i video camera. What im finding is that sony works best with sony products and doesnt work at all with anything from Microsoft due to sync to green problems. If you like to build PC's are you aware gochin is world famous as he was on team Japan for building some of the worlds fastest computers in special events, He is in Japanese magazines and has done interviews for his work. Top notch, im glad to have people like him and yourself as members.

The SF206 is a really solid FW, the only reason why i dont use it is because the GFT 4 wood and PT-7 combo has never let me down. If i didnt have the GFT i would be using the SF206 with PT-7 shaft for sure! Mizuno JPX is another one some members swear by. Plus1 and Dcc14 can give you feedback on their results with that club.

The H2 is a newer model, its the BBD type H2 released about 4-6 months ago in Japan. It could be the wood that comes after the GS Tour. I think the GS Tour is more similar to Japans older model the first BBD, dont quote me on that though, perhaps another person may have the DL on that.

JDM = Japan Domestic Market

Driver: Epon ( easy ) I have not had anytime with the XD-460 besides 2 holes and into my swing cage. feels great, but until i get it on the course i dont really know to be honest. Avatar is because i like the way it looks, I mean we do have so many accounts and you will see my avatar change from time to time based on the mood im in. Epon sells itself, no marketing but via word of mouth its doing great. Epon is our #1 selling driver by far based on how few we see in the B/S/T's i think people feel its a gamer.

FW: GFT for me, i havent hit the X-Drive FW yet, I have hit the Z-Steel, JPX, BBD H2 and fourteen.

Z-Steel/SF206 are very close, maybe tied. I just lean toward steel FW's because i like the feel.

Hybrid: G-Field GFT UT 22* with my 4 wood is a perfect combo, its shafted with the Tour AD UT-85 ( what a gem ) in regards to others depends on what you like the Fourteen UT-106 is dumb easy to hit, so is the PRGR 320CX. Tourstage X-UT is just too demanding even with the graphite shaft in it, feel is imo the best though. Im waiting on my samples of the EPON UT, for now i rate the GFT as number one. keep in mind its HOT almost too long i first figured 16* and 20* would be good but the UT flies too long so i had to jump on the 22* very good afordable UT club.

Irons: depends on what your eye tells you to love. feel and forgiveness is very important to me, their are to many options, i dont suggest MB's to anyone unless you got quite a bit of head speed and game. usually i only suggest them to scratch or better players. I guess it all depends on your ball striking, mine is pretty decent so i can handle the type J's. Im playing the PRO-II right now as i have been working a lot and have not had a lesson in ages. your going to have to check things out on your own and setup the specs to what you know you like. If i build them for you we must make sure the lofts are equal or a tad stronger to what you play now, nothing worse than a player getting new clubs and thinking they suck because he or she hits them shorter than the set previous.

Wedges: Zodia doesnt make those wedges anymore, i can add the new ones to the catalog soon but they are not that pretty. my favorite wedges by far is the EPON model X in NiCr20 finish. only 12 52* and 12 58* exist in the entire world. they just arrived yesterday morning. I have the custom finish MP-R wedges with running bird logo only on it, its ordered coming late Jan with running bird stamp satin MP-67's. Will post um when i got them. G-Field GFT wedges are a gem also but on heavy back order in Japan. Im sorry i cant get them at this moment.

The epon HG wedge was not for me, thick topline dumb easy to hit but i wanted compact. I was using the BERES L101 with axiv 950M on it before the model X, very good wedge but its got a tiny head.

In regards to putters you may want to try a golds factory putter if your looking for somthing simple and traditional with Japanese quality.

In regards to cars lets not get into that in this thread it will go on forever. I will say i love euro cars style and branding but Japanese performance and features. You can however make a post in out of bounds and ill check it out.

The phones in Japan are off the wall, have you seen? its insane. the reason why they offer optional antennas for the asian market is imo because their is so much tech gear in use that can get in the way of clear reception, also the fact that their are many buildings that can block your signal.

In the end we all need to make our own decisions based on our personal taste. These are just my suggestions based on my personal testing and what has worked for my swing. what works for me may not work well for others. I just wish their were more hardcore golf junkies who do more than simply scratch the surface as we see on other web sites.

Wow - thanks for your thorough reply :tsg_smilie_smile:

It's great to be a member on this forum - it has really opened my eyes and made me realize that golf equipment are not only produced in the US (though assembled in China) but certainly also in Japan/Asia.

I only wish more would take part in the discussions on the board.

I know lots of people don't have the time - they just buy golf equipment and play golf.

Still I feel that a great deal of guys are lurkers on this forum and that's a shame :tsg_smilie_rolleyes:

What the heck is a gold factory putter :tsg_smilie_confused: r

I googled it, but the website is in japanese - darn it, I wish I knew how to read japanese :tsg_smilie_wah:

Is it hard to learn japanese - I need to be able to read japanese to check out all the nice websites with japanese golf gear :tsg_smiley_laughatyou: :atsg_logo_anim:

You lived there for 4 years - did you learn japanese, Chris ?

I'm a 2.8 capper - but still would like to get a set of blades.

I may stick to a Mizuno custom grind combo set of Mp-60 and Mp-32 though - but I'm dreaming of buying either a Fourteen T-1000 set or a Tourstage X-blade 3 set - they look so darn purdy those blades and they tell you right away if your swing is OFF.

Why thank you Chris... we all know how fun technology is. It's great to be a member here too. :tsg_smilie_cool:

For me the GS Tour is identical to the CV Pro:

gstour.jpg

I personally use the GFT-FW as Chris does, also its a 4 wood too. I do have an X-ST but as I mentioned I have a hard time getting it in the air off the deck.

And Claus, not all Japanese cars are boxy and square, maybe the sub-compact economy ones that make it to Europe. It's not like that in Japan, there are still many sleek classy rockets out there. :tsg_smilie_smile:

As for antennas on phones in Japan, it's not for clearer reception as in Japan reception is king, there is nary a spot where you will NOT get a signal, they have antennas because most phones now have TV capabilites and it's for watching TV.

Thanks Gocchin, now I know for sure that the so called "new" GS Tour wood series from Sonartec are old stuff from the Royal Collection shelfs.

Yeahhh....I know they got TV reception NOW - but not 4-5 years ago. And back then it puzzled me to see the demand for phones with outside antennas in Asia. Also the phones from Samsung (I know, it's Korean), Sony and Panasonic etc. all came with outside antenna (and I checked - even the new models in Japan had outside antenna back then, and NO TV reception yet)

I buy and sell my mobile phones all the time - and I can't wait for them to get more advanced with new functions and tech stuff. While my friends and family don't like all the new functions in the new phones, I love them. I'm bored if a new mobile phone isn't loaded with new menus, functions and geeky stuff :atsg_logo_anim:

I know the most fancy Japan cars don't get to Europe, but I still miss Japan cars with design like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Peugeot, Alfa Romeo, Volvo, Maserati, Porsche, VW, Bentley GT, Jaguar, Aston Martin and so on.

Some of the new Lexus 4X4 vans look pretty good though :tsg_smilie_smile:

I'm a 2.8 capper - but still would like to get a set of blades.

I may stick to a Mizuno custom grind combo set of Mp-60 and Mp-32 though - but I'm dreaming of buying either a Fourteen T-1000 set or a Tourstage X-blade 3 set - they look so darn purdy those blades and they tell you right away if your swing is OFF.

Hey Claus, blades are the only way to go imo. I probably need a more forgiving club but why? Its not my swing that gets me in trouble, its my lack of time. I've three kids and one is trying to fulfill her dreams in ice skating so I'm quite busy. But I still get my golf in and I love my blades.

I agree as well we need more input on this forum. I like to come on this site and read all the opinions, even if they differ from mine. I think it keeps things fresh and in perspective.

Their are no cars in the world that have class and style like Euro cars. That said just remember their was only 1 car who smashed porsche's turbo record at " the ring " in germany.

In 2008 you will see her latest version.

Japan actually hires the top guys from cosworth to help tune their motors and people from lotus to aid in suspension design, when they dont have what it takes they go out and find who does.

" Strive for perfection in everything you do.

Take the best that exists and make it better

If it does not exist, design it. "

Sir Henry Royce 1863 -1933

This forum is such an eye opener, for many years I thought that there was only me who was addicted to the quest to find the 'perfect' golf clubs - glad to see that i'm not alone!

I am looking for a FW and my clubmaker is suggesting the Alpha V5, GFT or maybe PRGR M3 hit ( thanks Plus1), I will be specifying an axiv shaft in whatever I choose.

Would love to get involved in the discussion about cars, my second (or is it third, or if my girfriend is reading this my fourth) passion. I have imported and owned a number of Japanese cars ( NSX, Skyline GTR etc), but still prefer my Carrera S 997 ( even though I can't get my clubs in it!)- each to his own I suppose.

I am blown away by all the hi-tech TV, phone and hi-fi talk, don't know anything about it but have an all feeling it could get added to the 'interests' list!

Nick

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah Claus, you have to go to Asia to play Golf someday. The number are huge and many of them are really beautiful courses compared to european (except Scottland of course). Or a bit nearer, south africa, they have nice courses (like SunCity).

Talking about luxury stuff, mainly comes from Europe where the brand exists for quiet some time. I love my MB and my Rolex, but if you talk about camera and golf equipment, japan is the Mecca.

Yeah we have to be grateful, to be member of clubs that can spend money for our principles, right.

Yeah Claus, you have to go to Asia to play Golf someday. The number are huge and many of them are really beautiful courses compared to european (except Scottland of course). Or a bit nearer, south africa, they have nice courses (like SunCity).

Talking about luxury stuff, mainly comes from Europe where the brand exists for quiet some time. I love my MB and my Rolex, but if you talk about camera and golf equipment, japan is the Mecca.

Yeah we have to be grateful, to be member of clubs that can spend money for our principles, right.

Try Jakarta, Indonesia. We have beautiful golf courses where the caddies are beautiful young women who cater to all your whims. That cannot be beat.

Yeah, Bogor is near Jakarta and it has plenty of golf course with top notch quality, nice landscape and mild weather. Batam Island near Singapore has 3 nice Golfcourse. You can also play in Bangkok or Spring City China. If you want to kill yourself, then play in 10 Course Mission Hill.

(Don't play in Singapore or Dubai, it's hot and dry :)))

Playing in Asia is nice, you play in a nice course served by a Caddie (mostly female). Using a buggy you don't have to bring you bag by yourself and somebody take care of where your ball lands.

The clubhouse is mostly good and equipped with spa. Golf is more a relaxation than sport then.

:))

Wow, talk about a topic with broad appeal, from golf to computers to cars to cell phones, to the ends of the earth. I consider myself a technotard...meaning I know how to use a bunch of stuff but am clueless as to how it all ticks, and technology fascinates me to no end because I wonder all the time who thinks this stuff up. That being said, I like stuff that stands out in a crowd, be it golf clubs, TV, cars, computers, whatever if it's different than Joe Average I want to try it for myself. That's what got me here. That being said you can't beat the GFT fairway woods; simple, predictable, consistant and coupled with the PT 7 shaft, as others have said, is a marvel.

• 1 month later...

Just played my first three rounds with my new Alpha Version 5 3 wood and hybrid clubs, both fitted with Mamiya - OP Axiv V's, what can I say, I am absolutely blown away by the performance of both clubs, I cannot believe the distance, accuracy and workability of the 22* Hybrid. Last week I used my pro's Sonartec Hybrid, the Alpha beats that club hands down, maybe it is the Axiv V shaft but the Alpha was longer and much easier to work than the Sonartec and it has much more feel.

The 3 wood is equally impressive, I am hitting 20 to 30 yards longer than my Adams RPM Redline Tour 13*, with much less dispersion, a nice high ball flight gives a lovely soft landing, managed to stop the ball dead on a postage stamp temporary green at 240 yards!

I don't know anything about Alpha Version products, where they are made or who owns them, all I can say is they are brilliant, thanks Alan (adt69), you've excelled yourself this time!

Nick

• 1 year later...

The "tour spoon," 3+, or metal version of the 2-wood has always been too strong of a fairway club for me--didn't even try to hit it when I was young. Well, not after I broke an early-eighties TM 13º Tour Spoon over my knee--it had a club head the size of a walnut.

I did use a Great Big Bertha "Deuce" effectively as a driver for a while, and that same outfit now pushes their X Hot 15º club as a potential driving club, even going so far as to lengthen it to a standard 44".

My PRGR longer fairway metal is set at a reasonable 16.5º, which is as strong as I'd ever go with a fairway club these days. VERY nice hitting golf club, by the way.

Edited by NiftyNiblick

• 7 months later...

I normally don't use a 3 wood. I only have 1 spoon its a 13.5 technity epon w/a Machline stiff shaft. Its really like a second driver, but IMO its harder to hit.

For the past 3 years I haven't used a 3 wood. Instead, I've used bagged the 5 wood as a solid backup driver/all around FWY wood, including the weed whacker. It hasn't failed me.

But lately i've been testing the new 13 and 13.5 and 15* woods. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Cleveland HIbore xls FWY wood is awesome. I gained 15 yards immediately, over my existing epon spoon, w/the stock red shaft. Its in the bag and there to stay.