TM R7 Forged users pls HELP..

tkmp

I am a Miz MP-60 user and is very much interested in the R7 forged irons. For those who have hit/owned both irons (R7 FORGED AND MP-60), can you please comment on the following:

1. Which set has smaller headsize?

2. Which set feels softer?

3. Which set is more forgiving?

I used to own a set of TM Rac CB (Miura forged), are the R7 forged better feeling and more forgiving irons? I didn't have the game to handle the Rac CBs ( I carry a 10 handicap).

I will appreciate your opinions very much.

Thanks

tkmp

I am a Miz MP-60 user and is very much interested in the R7 forged irons. For those who have hit/owned both irons (R7 FORGED AND MP-60), can you please comment on the following:

I used to own a set of TM Rac CB (Miura forged), are the R7 forged better feeling and more forgiving irons? I didn't have the game to handle the Rac CBs ( I carry a 10 handicap).

Thanks

tkmp

I will follow this thread - as I'm also a bit hot on the R7 Forged. Only "problem" for me is that I can't find ANY information about where these are forged and finished. It looks like something Endo could have done, but I emailed a guy at Endo in charge of the tech service (kiyonari niimi) and he said they didn't forge the R7 Forged irons. They are probably forged and finished some where in China or Taiwan then......just would like to know, because I'm a forged club snob :tsg_smilie_laugh:

Thanks

tkmp

Not only is one person's appreciation of feel different to another's but you would have to test them in the same shaft/swing weight/grip combinations.

The best I can do for you is relate my own findings, which may be completely different to other players'.

As an MP muscle back owner (37/33) as well as the cut muscle types (32/67) I did not like the MP60. 60s simply feel neither as solid nor as meaty and the flight was weak. The difference in forgiveness between the 32 and the 60 is not great but the 32 feels far superior. But, then again, the MP33 is virtuallly as forgiving as the 32 ( I could ascertain no real-world difference at all) and is pretty close to the pinnacle of feel as far as "off the rack" irons are concerned.

My game bag contains the R7 forged. However, that has more to do with the superiority of the TC shafts over the X100 than the heads.

As for the MP60/R7 Forged battle, R7 Forged are better. They have a firm, decisive thump at impact, rather like the better Titleist MBs, and are more solid and consistent. I am more interested in the characteristics of the sweet spot than the head size but I can tell you that the R7 are almost the same size as the MP33, which is relatively long for an MB.

You may be bored of hearing it but the best advice is to go and try them because most opinions are worth very little. I have seen lots of guys playing 60s who could just as easily play 33s and even more people playing 60s who should be playing Big Berthas.

I will follow this thread - as I'm also a bit hot on the R7 Forged. Only "problem" for me is that I can't find ANY information about where these are forged and finished. It looks like something Endo could have done, but I emailed a guy at Endo in charge of the tech service (kiyonari niimi) and he said they didn't forge the R7 Forged irons. They are probably forged and finished some where in China or Taiwan then......just would like to know, because I'm a forged club snob :tsg_smilie_smile2:

Hi, Claus,

I agree with you. I would have bet the R7s were Endo and I am surprised to hear that they are not. However, whoever did the job did it very well both in design and manufacturing.

The irons I have are well finished and the weights were dead on. The forging is soft ( the blasted bag chatter and dings on mine testify to that!) but the head design keeps the feel at impact firm but not clicky. The fact that they do not have an undercut and that the apex of the meat in the cavity is right behind the sweet spot contributes to their excellent feel and power.

I use the word power advisedly as the TC/R7 combination is the most wickedly long and solid head/shaft mix I have ever hit. I used to be a big X100 fan as I hit the ball fairly hard and like control and feedback above all. The TCs have the same control but they really do release all their energy right at the point of impact. Zero ballooning - just long and consistent with easy spin management.

My next set of TC shafts will be going in the Mp33s and that might be the ultimate set for me. Can't wait to try it out.

Having known you from WRX I would guess that you will like the R7 Forged. Whoever did the forging, they are a very classy head indeed. I would put them on a par with Muira Splits (201s) if that helps.

having use to own the R7 Forged with Tour Concepts, I have to say that these are indeed premium forgings with a very solid feel. The tour concepts are a great combo and had a very nice penetrating flight without much effort.

The Type S I am using now is not as sweet feeling but is more forgiving which I need.

The R7 Forged is not clicky, just solid. hit it on the sweet spot and nothing but woosh!

I also think you should check the new Forged TP iron out. They may be the successor to the R7 Forged:

post-1-1191347712-1_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191347715-7_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191347797-1_thumb.jpg

Can't see the photographs, Claus.

It's the one from WRX - don't get it why I can't use pics from the WRX site in here. TSG is a sponsor at WRX !

Thanks, Claus. Just saw them. I don't really like the look but if they play as well as the R7 Forged they will be good.

Yeahh...I wish I knew who forged and finished them - not Endo......

They look pretty good in my view.....better than the Cally X-Forged

Claus, have you tried emailing taylormade to ask where the R7's are forged? It would also be nice to see if they are as helpfull as Endo .

I hope you can make that trip on sunday and meet the epon guys.............maybe do a little interview/pics for us guys.

Claus, have you tried emailing taylormade to ask where the R7's are forged? It would also be nice to see if they are as helpfull as Endo .

I hope you can make that trip on sunday and meet the epon guys.............maybe do a little interview/pics for us guys.

I will try and email them at Taylor Made golf, maybe they are as informative and friendly as the guys at Endo/Epon were - but I doubt it highly :tsg_smiley_secret:

If they indeed are forged in Taiwan and finished in China - maybe Taylor Made would like to put a name on the plant/company, that does the forgings and finish on the TM forged irons.

If I pay more than $900 for a set of irons, I like to know a little bit about the product - but that's just me trying to be a weird connoisseur :tsg_smilie_fever:

I will try and email them at Taylor Made golf, maybe they are as informative and friendly as the guys at Endo/Epon were - but I doubt it highly :tsg_smiley_secret:

If they indeed are forged in Taiwan and finished in China - maybe Taylor Made would like to put a name on the plant/company, that does the forgings and finish on the TM forged irons.

If I pay more than $900 for a set of irons, I like to know a little bit about the product - but that's just me trying to be a weird connoisseur :tsg_smilie_fever:

If i was taylormade, i wont give that information out, for I want to build taylormade as the brand and not where the forging is made... The goal for an OEM is that if a product is under their label, it should be percieved as quality without the need to seek more information. Thats what branding and positioning is all about....

But then I am not running taylormade

If i was taylormade, i wont give that information out, for I want to build taylormade as the brand and not where the forging is made... The goal for an OEM is that if a product is under their label, it should be percieved as quality without the need to seek more information. Thats what branding and positioning is all about....

But then I am not running taylormade

This is exactly the kind of answer I expect to get from TM....I agree, you have to protect your own brand and let people think the whole line up is made to the same high quality standards.

Not only is one person's appreciation of feel different to another's but you would have to test them in the same shaft/swing weight/grip combinations.

The best I can do for you is relate my own findings, which may be completely different to other players'.

As an MP muscle back owner (37/33) as well as the cut muscle types (32/67) I did not like the MP60. 60s simply feel neither as solid nor as meaty and the flight was weak. The difference in forgiveness between the 32 and the 60 is not great but the 32 feels far superior. But, then again, the MP33 is virtuallly as forgiving as the 32 ( I could ascertain no real-world difference at all) and is pretty close to the pinnacle of feel as far as "off the rack" irons are concerned.

My game bag contains the R7 forged. However, that has more to do with the superiority of the TC shafts over the X100 than the heads.

As for the MP60/R7 Forged battle, R7 Forged are better. They have a firm, decisive thump at impact, rather like the better Titleist MBs, and are more solid and consistent. I am more interested in the characteristics of the sweet spot than the head size but I can tell you that the R7 are almost the same size as the MP33, which is relatively long for an MB.

You may be bored of hearing it but the best advice is to go and try them because most opinions are worth very little. I have seen lots of guys playing 60s who could just as easily play 33s and even more people playing 60s who should be playing Big Berthas.

Fellow r7 forged player here, and I agree spot on with Milo's post. I really liked the 32's, but didn't care much for the 60's at all. The r7's, to me, are more forgiving and marshmallow soft solid. Mine are equipped with x-100's, and I guess I'm a weirdo, but I love these shafts. I have a high swing speed though

...I used to own a set of TM Rac CB (Miura forged), are the R7 forged better feeling and more forgiving irons?...

R7 Forged are much more forgiving than the RAC CBs, for sure. Heck, I've hit plenty of blades that were more forgiving.

MP-60s spin a little more than the R7 Forged, R7 has a better sole grind for my swing.

The sound/feel tips in favor of the Mizunos.

This is compared head-to-head , with Project X shafts.