My small comparison test with some blade putters with inserts

HULC1105

Ok, after two weeks of testing, late night carpet putting, here's my little comparison test on some of the putters I have with inserts.

Here are the contestants.

-GF SS303 putter with PZ inserts (of course)

-SC Studio Style Newport #2 (My Detour Newport #2, I think I will have it battle it out, head to head with my GF stealth PS#2. So, I asked a friend, see if he would lend me his spare S.S Newport#2... For a month~!!! Hehehe)

-G-Field PZ#1 (Sold. So, can only base on my memory on how good it felt...)

-TM Rossa RSI CGB Daytona (From TSG, of course.)

-Odyssey Black Series #2 (The Non-Insert putter tester for comparison. My dad's putter in Toronto)

Overall Design:

Ok, I will exclude my SS303 from this category... 'cause it's the best... hehehe... I love my own design~ If I may... :tsg_smilie_love:

The designs of the rest of the group are pretty interesting: The SC Newport#2 has the vibration absorbing pad to... Absorb the vibrations... G-Field has the PZ insert to enhance the soft feeling and better roll. The TM Rossa has the Thermoplastic elastomer (Have no idea what the flying fork is that... but it sure sounds much better than the "Vibration Absorbing Pad"...), supposedly to give the pros even more softer feel than the AGSI inserts (Which, I think is much better than the RSI insert). The technology is there, designs are top-notch here. But do they really work? Hmmm... Keep reading.

Looks:

The GF takes the cake. Hands down, no questions. It just looks so much meatier than the other ones at address. You have it in your hand, it just oozes out confidence.

The G-Field PZ#1 is second, it looks like a normal PZ#0 after steroid... With its angular bumper, it's so cool even for anyone who doesn't know anything about golf. 3rd will have to go to the SC, Scotty knows how a putter should look like. From address, the putter looks square, sharp, clean, no nothing to distract you. One pretty putter from address.

Sound:

My SS303 is the only one here with a sound slit, but I really like the way the Scotty sounds. The TM and the G-Field sounded dead. Especially the Taylormade, very VERY muted.

Feel/Performance:

Ok... Here's the shocker. After two weeks of playing around, I actually think the Odyssey Black performs better than my GF SS303 here.

The Black Series feels soft (Strangely, this simple milled face feels softer than the SC and the G-Field... Don't know why... ???), and it rolls beautifully. The tungsten bumpers really WORKS, there's not twisting, no fussing, the ball just rolls straight. SO FORGIVING~ Really surprised on how well Odyessy did with their first non-insert putter. I wanted to use the Black Series as a bar-stick, to compare these putters with inserts... I guess this bar-stick turns out to be a great stick.

And as of the GF SS303... First of all, let me explain that I am not the greatest putter in the world, therefore please forgive me with my lack of adjectives and knowledge on FEEL amd PERFORMANCE. But the only one word I can think of, from my tiny little brain, to explain this putter is: "Organic". The roll is the best out of all the above putters mentioned. If the Black Series is like a Mercedes S65, perfect in every aspect; the GF SS303 is like a Porsche 911 Turbo, with a manual gearbox~!!! It's forgiving, yet you will still have to pay attention, show your respect. It's just so fun putting with it, the roll is so true, it exposes your weakness, but because you feel so confident at address, it's a joy everytime putting with it. It's not as forgiving as the Black Series, but I think I become a better putter because of it.

The SC, the G-Field and the TM, they are good, but I just don't feel they perform as good as the Black Series or the SS303.

The Scotty has the worst roll in the group, and it's the harsh-est, this insert is garbage! BUT, my friend who also tried all these putters, said this SC putter is a great transition putter for those who are still not used to those insert putters. (I say, BOGUS! Who would want to own a 300dollars TRANSITION putter??? So, I win~ HAHA~!)

The G-Field is like the middle child in the group. Not the most dominant, nor the prettiest. Its PZ insert, compares to the GF version, just lost its charm after a few putts. It feels dead, compare to the GF counterpart. It still rolls beautifully, but feels not connected. I blame it to the shaft, too.

The TM is a nice putter, but nothing from it tells me it's any special than any others...

Really REALLY surprised that a simple milled putter is so much forgiving and soft than the some of the putters with inserts that are supposed to enhance the delicate putting feel... The Odyssey Black Series is the winner here.

Value:

I know, I know... When I paid $1,500 for a putter, this "Value" factor is no longer valid, 'cause how can you compare to a personalized, custom putter to a off-the-rack retail putter? But, really, the GF-SS303 looks so awesome, perform so well, I truly think $1,500 is a bargain~ From a collector's point of view, the Golds Factory SS303 has everything one's asking for. But as a golfer, I gotta go with the Black Series, it just simply performs. For its price, it is the best out there.

Conclusion:

...What conclusion? I am so torn now... It's not funny anymore... I wanted to save my SS303 in my office only, because it's so beautiful, but it out-performs my stealth PS#2... And the Black Series is treating me so well, I am actually thinking stealing it from my dad. But I am so used to the Blinker now...

...Tario, you gotta get yourself a GF putter! I can't be the only one suffering this... :atsg_logo_anim:

Lung-chia

P.S Pictures will be added this weekend.

Edited by HULC1105

Thanks for your honest review. I really enjoyed reading it :tsg_smilie_surprise:

Great review. Putter feel is so objective and performance is basically linked to your putting style.What is a dead feel to one is a soft feel to another.When you buy a GF putter I would feel obligated to use it :tsg_smilie_surprise:

Lung-chia . Tario's clubbuilder has a Tomi putting device that fits you for the type of putter your stroke demands,I'm going for a fitting soon.

Great review LC! Albeit surprising!

Droopy

Great review. Putter feel is so objective and performance is basically linked to your putting style.What is a dead feel to one is a soft feel to another.When you buy a GF putter I would feel obligated to use it :tsg_smilie_surprise:

Lung-chia . Tario's clubbuilder has a Tomi putting device that fits you for the type of putter your stroke demands,I'm going for a fitting soon.

My clubbuilder is also LC's clubbuilder (^_^)

Taylormade has a really cool video on their official website, showing how AGSI face insert is better getting the ball to roll.

They tape the insert onto your own putter, and let you putt couple balls to see the difference.

Someone showed up with a G-Field Leap... :tsg_smilie_surprise:

Very interesting video.

Lung-chia

Taylormade has a really cool video on their official website, showing how AGSI face insert is better getting the ball to roll.

They tape the insert onto your own putter, and let you putt couple balls to see the difference.

Someone showed up with a G-Field Leap... :tsg_smilie_surprise:

Very interesting video.

Lung-chia

interesting video indeed.

very interesting and i enjoyed your reviews. i do beleive you in saying the black series is good, tried there entire line at our local shop and the roll and feel is just superb. now consider this is a rack putter yet performs as good as any customized putter minus the personal touch.

After reading HULC, I tried odyssey black series and it does roll pretty good. I was surprised.

However, with odyssey black, most of them went right.

Is it just me?

what model did you try? they have several for different types of putting strokes

I believe it was Odyssey Black #1.

round anser style putter.

Several?? I thought black series only has 3 models.

Yeah, I believe there's only three. I tried all of them, and they all get the job done very well.

Most of them went right? with the #1? Hmmm... Don't know what could've caused it.

On a different note...

Golds Factory has just introduced another line, the GF01A SUS303 and Fe.

Just so pretty...

0712050017ta9.jpg

0712050033dt2.jpg

Drool drool drool...

The pictures have to wait a bit, as I am very lazy these couple of days... It's too cold to do anything around here in Toronto...

Lung-chia

Yeah, I believe there's only three. I tried all of them, and they all get the job done very well.

Most of them went right? with the #1? Hmmm... Don't know what could've caused it.

On a different note...

Golds Factory has just introduced another line, the GF01A SUS303 and Fe.

Just so pretty...

0712050017ta9.jpg

0712050033dt2.jpg

Drool drool drool...

The pictures have to wait a bit, as I am very lazy these couple of days... It's too cold to do anything around here in Toronto...

Lung-chia

wow. you live in toronto as well.

If I'm lucky, I may get to see your beautiful putter in person.

What size are the bumpers in the new pics - is a newport 1 or newport 2 bumper size or just in between the two ?

I prefer the more flat bumpers, like on the Newport 2/Bettinardi BB8....

What size are the bumpers in the new pics - is a newport 1 or newport 2 bumper size or just in between the two ?

I prefer the more flat bumpers, like on the Newport 2/Bettinardi BB8....

honestly with all the new styles i am getting confused and having a hard time deciding. this latest ss303 looks like what im looking for, more eye candy compared to ps1/ps2.