Honma Beres irons

dixbenedict

Where i come from if you have a Honma Beres its a status symbol. Everybody wants one. My question is it really that good or is it jsut a hype?. Being a member in this forum i have not heard of these set being talked about or even being owned by our forum contributors. :tsg_smiley_beach:

Where i come from if you have a Honma Beres its a status symbol. Everybody wants one. My question is it really that good or is it jsut a hype?. Being a member in this forum i have not heard of these set being talked about or even being owned by our forum contributors. :tsg_smiley_beach:

Quite a few people do play them for status but the 8, and especially the 9-series irons are very solid clubs imho. The old 904 irons were very a wonderful player's cavity - nicely contoured sole, very soft feel, and nice all-around performance. My experience with the new 913 iron has only been a few brief swings on a monitor, but it looks and feels as good if not better than the previous 9-series cavity.

While I'm not in favor of buying them to portray an image, I wouldn't avoid them because of image either. If you get a chance to try them out, by all means, do so!

Edited by K2_2

I too would like to inquiry about this subject... TSG? where does Honma stand on your scale of class. Every single time I buy new clubs my friends ask me if its Honmas... I say "no Epons", they're like, "oh I don't know what that is," or "never heard of it".

I too would like to inquiry about this subject... TSG? where does Honma stand on your scale of class. Every single time I buy new clubs my friends ask me if its Honmas... I say "no Epons", they're like, "oh I don't know what that is," or "never heard of it".

Just say "No, I don't like old man clubs" when they ask you next time.

I tried the latest Honma beres (can;t remember what model number but it was a players cavity). Felt really good and solid with the STOCK graphite shafts. When it was switched to PX, that solid feel was totally gone.

The quality of the finishing is very good but as someone mentioned, typically associated with old rich guys. THe gold, diamond laden sets were often used as "gratuity" for under table services.

Many used to think Honma had that reputation of glittery gold and old man clubs... but they pretty much eliminated that misconception with their Beres line played by several JPGA pros and many JLPGA and a few LPGA pros (who have won on tour too). The Beres line is very very solid. And much of the reason for the costs is the high quality stock graphite shafts, ARMRQ quadraxial shafts they do use. Which may explain why wmclarenf1 lost the feel by reshafting. Honma's graphite shafts are top quality and their 7, 8 and 9 series Beres are pretty good looking and feeling and performing clubs. Quite a few forum members own sets of Beres irons too. Spoon had a set of irons he really liked if I remember correctly.

Beres line is very very solid. And much of the reason for the costs is the high quality stock graphite shafts, ARMRQ quadraxial shafts they do use. Which may explain why wmclarenf1 lost the feel by reshafting. Honma's graphite shafts are top quality and their 7, 8 and 9 series Beres are pretty good looking and feeling and performing clubs.

Fully agree. If you want to get the Beres, get the graphite shafted set and don;t reshaft.

Any idea about the weight, bend point, torque of the shafts?

They have tons of different shafts but what is pretty amazing and people did not know about is they have true and fully custom built clubs.

How are these options:

- pick design of iron including offset, CG, shape, stamping etc..

- pick design of driver including CG, shape, weight of head, face angle, face depth etc..

- pick custom iron graphic, weight, kick point, technology etc...

The clubs can be any color you want, so can the shaft.

Those don't sum up all the options as there are a ton more offered, we have only sold one of these sets and it was to a prince. the retail price varies but its 25k - 120k

Custom iron shafts alone from Honma run 20k+

pretty wild stuff isn't it.

But yea Honma isn't your old man brand anymore, they got the new TW903's the Athport clubs and others that are for the top amateur or even pro.

I have a set of the Beres 801s in steel and these are "players game improvement" clubs. Easy to hit but small profile. Well worth the money. Fit and finish is superb and holds up very well. Far better than anything OEM sold in the US as a game improvement club.

• 2 weeks later...
Just say "No, I don't like old man clubs" when they ask you next time.

I have a set of Beres 702 irons in graphite and it´s a love/hate relationship.

Nowadays it´s love again.

The "other one" is a set of Epon Type X with Nippon 850´s that I also love but...

¿Does your old man hit 155 yard arrows with a 9 iron?

I do with this clubs.

I am 35 years old. Am I an old man? Yes? THANK YOU

• 4 weeks later...

Have the Honma MG801's with project X 5.5's in them. Honma only shafts their clubs with the Nippon or their proprietary ARMQ shafts in Japan. With a special request and a whole lot of delay( they messed up the lengths the first time around) they sent the heads to the U.S distributor and allowed them to be installed here. They hit fine. Just needed something a little stiffer with the 801's. I have the ARMQ shafts installed in all of the Woods.