Golf Balls

bogeydog

I am looking into the latest golf balls. I have yet to find anything better than the new Taylor Made LDP balls. I tried the new Callaway iX but found them lacking the feel of the TMs and had more spin off the driver yet not as much spin around the greens. Any one play the more exotic balls listed here on TSG and can compare?

I picked up a couple of dozen of the Srixon Z-URC. This ball is a gamer and is my bag for this season. I did a little distance test by using a Rangefinder and a friend to do the scoping. The Z-URC smoked the ProV1 and the ProV1x while just edging the Bridgestone B330.

The ball gets off the Driver face fast with low spin and a good trajectory of mid to high. The approach shots had great spin, feel and held the greens. The shorter approach shots with the Wedges all held or backed up. Chips were smooth and not clicky so distance control was good. Putting came up with the same fine results of no clicky feeling off the face. The only ball softer was the Nike One Platnium off the putter face but still very acceptable.

Srixon has done a good job with this ball in both performance and playability. After trying to cut a dog-leg, the shot stayed in the trees (my bad) and on my pushed punch shot into a tree trunk (my bad again), the ball careened into the fairway. So I picked it up for inspection and found no cover abrasions, just a slight discoloration from the collision with the tree trunk. At $3.33USD for each ball that was still playable after what I did to it, is a winner at my place. I tossed each of my golf buddies a sleeve on the first tee and they all, too, agreed that this ball was a player and a keeper.

Feel off the putter is all I care about. I grew up playing hand me downs... topflite balls or harder on fast dry greens is what I aim for in feel.

I like that click sound made by a harder ball or a putter w/a sound slot.

So far the ball w/the best sound w/all my putters has been the callaway ix ball. I've been playing the ix since it came out and I love the sound/feel off of my putters.

Cally ix is pretty good, but the best for me is a Mizuno cross eight tour 332. I wish I could have gotten some of the limited black Mizzies out of the pro shop...they sold out quick!

waywt367.jpg

What do you like about this ball?

What do you like about this ball?

Like xchangemanx, I like a little more of a firm feeling off the putter....this ball provides that. The Mizuno gives awesome distance off the tee but still excellent short side spin and the putting feedback I like. I choose ball characteristics by working backwards in preferance, from the green back to the tee. Another big benefit is they are very durable for a premium ball, a Cally ix is hammerd after 18 in comparison to a cross eight tour.

I have been true blue loyal to the ProV1 from day 1. IMO it is an excellent ball that you can't go wrong with.

This year, for the first time I bought a Dozen of the new Premium balls from each Manufacturer for comparison. The only ball I have not put in play yet is the Taylormade ball. I will be trying the Black next week.

I have played the new (premium) Cally's, Srixon's, B-stone's and Nike's.

IMO, for me... the 2008 Nike One Platinum is the best ball.... that said, I can't believe I just said that. I am a bit anti Nike... I don't like and try not to like anything they have to offer in the way of Golf Equipment. But...

I love everything about the ball. The feel off of the Driver, Irons and Putter just seems perfect. The ball responds consistently and predictably. It is more durable than the ProV1 also.

I will be very surprised if the TM ball dethrones it.... especially that I really do not care for a TM product even more than Nike....

I don't think a person can go wrong with any of the top balls offered today.

I'm still very happy and content with Bridgestone's B330-S model.

I too, was similar to I-drive and had been very committed to the ProV1 series since they first came out. I tried the B330 model a couple years back and then switched over the B330-S and haven't gone back. For my game at this time the B330-S is it.

Blader-X and I agree on another thing (he does get good, worn-out use out of his clubs) and that is the type of ball we prefer. I have tried almost every ball and the Bridgestone B330-S is tops in my bag. It has great feel and wonderful spin.

Edited by The Doc

Still using the B-330 since switching from the ProV1 in 2006. No reason to change, really. The ball perfoms really well for me. I've been meaning to try the B-330S but haven't gotten around to it.

A friend plays the Precept IQ180 and I was surprised at how well that ball did. Very soft feel and great distance off the driver. Not a huge amount of spin off the irons, but acceptable for a ball that costs $20 a dozen. I may use these this fall when the leaves are on the ground and balls have a habit of finding some strange hiding places.

Sticking with pretty much three balls right now... Mizuno 352S, Tourstage X-01S3 and Kasco Silicon Purple Kira's.

If there is a dangerous water hazard and a risk of losing a ball off the tee I switch to some used Tourstage V10's I have. (^_^)

A friend plays the Precept IQ180 and I was surprised at how well that ball did. Very soft feel and great distance off the driver. Not a huge amount of spin off the irons, but acceptable for a ball that costs $20 a dozen. I may use these this fall when the leaves are on the ground and balls have a habit of finding some strange hiding places.

I also play the paula creamer balls "PINK" for fun, also its an added bonus that they are so cheap. My ss is around 107-115 now, and that pink goes so far I can't see it..., my average drive w/that pink ball is about 10+yrds on average carry further than the my prov1 and callix, but the roll is amazing, +15-20 yrds roll w/a rombax 7x07.

The pink ball is truly a great ball for going long.

I have been true blue loyal to the ProV1 from day 1. IMO it is an excellent ball that you can't go wrong with.

This year, for the first time I bought a Dozen of the new Premium balls from each Manufacturer for comparison. The only ball I have not put in play yet is the Taylormade ball. I will be trying the Black next week.

I have played the new (premium) Cally's, Srixon's, B-stone's and Nike's.

IMO, for me... the 2008 Nike One Platinum is the best ball.... that said, I can't believe I just said that. I am a bit anti Nike... I don't like and try not to like anything they have to offer in the way of Golf Equipment. But...

I love everything about the ball. The feel off of the Driver, Irons and Putter just seems perfect. The ball responds consistently and predictably. It is more durable than the ProV1 also.

I will be very surprised if the TM ball dethrones it.... especially that I really do not care for a TM product even more than Nike....

I don't think a person can go wrong with any of the top balls offered today.

FWIW

I just finished 36 holes with the same NOP ball... making them a cheap ball to play. I plan on playing the same ball another 18 tomorrow.

I have not been able to get 36 holes let alone consider another 18 from a B330, ProV1, Cally ix or any other premium ball.

I've been buying them off of e-bay for about $35 a doz. delivered.

If you haven't tried this ball...... take the blinders off and "just do it" :atsg_smilie_roll:

I played the Nike Platinum Ones today. Held the line great. Distance would right on with the irons, but I didn't like the ball off the driver. Definately shorter than the TM TP red off the driver. Putter feel was a little clicky but not disturbing. If the ball reacted better to my driver, I would possible play this ball.

I have to support the new Nike One Platinum as well. The past models always ballooned off the driver for me, i tried the One Black this year along with the Cally iX and really like the iX better since the Black was so spinny of the driver, i didn't even mess with the Platinum. HOWEVER, i found one of the course a few weeks ago and played it in for fun... amazing. Then i played the next round with it as well and had to buy a dozen. Not sure if anything will get them out of my bag now.

For me, the Platinum spins less off the driver than the Black, the iX, and the Pro V1/Pro V1x. Yet is perfect off the irons and really good around the greens as well. This is the bal i have been looking for for a long time.