Irons Offset Chart

Bat

Well, I thought it'd be nice to have a chart that lists the offset of different irons in one place. This is actually for my personal reference, but I'll post it here in case someone might find this useful as well. Anyway, let me know what you think.

Bat

.pdf file format for download

Irons_Offset_Chart_02.pdf

IronsOffsetChart02.jpg

* Edit - updated to include Ping and Titleist irons

Edited by Bat

These are the type of posts we can never get enough of.

Thanks for sharing.

Great info - thanks for sharing. Any chance you would have numbers on the TaylorMade Irons? If Gocchin or TourSpecGolfer could share the hosel diamter of the following, I could use their formula to figure it out as well. Interested in:

Burner Forged

TP Forged 2009

TP Forged 2008

Burner TP

R9

I would suggest that adding the Hosel Diameter or even going through the trouble to do the conversion from FP to Offset would be great information to have on each Iron Set listing at Tour Spec. I have to think that this would only help customers in making a buying decision. Anything to educate the American golfer.

Edited by 18th Legion

Any chance you would have numbers on the TaylorMade Irons?

Actually, I updated the chart for myself to include some of Ping and Titleist irons. I was planning to include Taylormade but there are just so many models to keep track of, I didn't know where to begin. :tsg_smiley_crazy: Anyway, I'm going to upload the current version in a bit. Since this was initially for my personal use, I only included the brands that I was interested. However, if anyone has offset numbers for other irons that they would like to share please feel free to post them here. If I get a chance to update the file with more irons I'll make sure to upload it here as well.

Bat

First post updated.

Bat,

On this chart, are the measurements calculated from each irons actual hosel measurement? As an example, Ping's hosel is a different size than Titileist and so on.

In regards to TaylorMade, maybe start with the models that Tourspec carry:

Burner TP

Burner Forged

TP Forged 2009

TP Forged 2008

Thanks for this - it's really useful and good to compare

Appreciated

Bat,

On this chart, are the measurements calculated from each irons actual hosel measurement? As an example, Ping's hosel is a different size than Titileist and so on.

Bridgestone numbers were just copy and paste. Ping, Titleist, and Mizuno numbers were converted from offset measurements in inches and rounded to the nearest tenth. Tourstage and Epon numbers were calculated using their 13.5mm hosel diameter. Srixon numbers, however, were calculated from face progression "assuming" they have the same hosel diameter as Tourstage and Epon. I suspect that their hosel diameter may actually be 13.6mm but I can not verify this. If anyone knows the exact measurement of Srixon hosel diameter I'd be happy to correct their numbers on the chart.

As a side note, please keep in mind that offset numbers are just a part of how the iron appears when addressing the ball. Even with the exact same offset numbers, one iron can "APPEAR" to have more offset than the other just by having different head size, leading edge design, neck design, top line design, etc. For example, the X-blade 701G and CB3 have the same offset numbers but (to me) the 701G looks much more blade like at address due to it's design. Looking down at two irons side by side can be tricky as well. At the wrong angle the iron on the right can often APPEAR to have less offset than the one on the left due to different viewing angles.

Bat

hmmm, I thought the Epon AF302 were supposed to have LESS offset than the AF301? your chart shows otherwise...

am I mistaken or am I misunderstanding something? :tsg_smiley_question:

Ping, Titleist, and Mizuno numbers were converted from offset measurements in inches and rounded to the nearest tenth.

Bat

I'm sure you're wondering why you attempted to do everyone a favor. It is much appreciated . . . but,

In order to do a correct conversion, you have to start with the actual hosel diamater. Tourspec demonstrates this in a Forum Topic addressing the subject.

hmmm, I thought the Epon AF302 were supposed to have LESS offset than the AF301? your chart shows otherwise...

am I mistaken or am I misunderstanding something? :tsg_smiley_question:

According to the specification on the official web site the numbers on the chart should be accurate. However, I had a chance to hit both of their 7 iron and compare them side by side for a couple of hours and I must admit that the 302 "appears" to have slightly less offset. IMO, the front of the hosel looks slightly more tapered in the 302 and there is less curve where the hosel meets the topline. I think those features along with chrome finishing might have something to do with how the iron appears. There's a comparison picture on another thread but you'll have to be careful when comparing offsets because the shafts appear to be leaning in the different directions from that viewing angle.

Just to be clear to everyone reading this post, all numbers on the chart are from manufacturer's specifications on their web sites. Some of them were just converted to the same format for comparison purpose. I did NOT go out and measure any of these manually.

Bat

I'm sure you're wondering why you attempted to do everyone a favor. It is much appreciated . . . but,

In order to do a correct conversion, you have to start with the actual hosel diamater. Tourspec demonstrates this in a Forum Topic addressing the subject.

I think you're misunderstanding something. Offset is the measurement from the front of the hosel to the leading edge as they are set up parallel to each other. You do NOT need to know the hosel diameter of the iron to know it's offset UNLESS you need to convert the number from FACE PROGRESSION. The numbers given on Ping, Titleist, and Mizuno websites are all offset numbers NOT face progression numbers. They are, however, listed in inches as opposed to millimeters. All I had to do was multiply these numbers by 25.4 to get the offset measurements in millimeters. Tourstage, Srixon, and Epon, on the other hand, list face progressions on their web sites. For these irons you'll need to know the hosel diameter to be able to convert to offset. At the moment, the Srixon numbers were calculated "assuming" they have the same hosel diameter as Tourstage and Epon. All other numbers should be accurate conversions from their respective web sites. Hope this helps.

Bat

I think you're misunderstanding something. Offset is the measurement from the front of the hosel to the leading edge as they are set up parallel to each other. You do NOT need to know the hosel diameter of the iron to know it's offset UNLESS you need to convert the number from FACE PROGRESSION. The numbers given on Ping, Titleist, and Mizuno websites are all offset numbers NOT face progression numbers. They are, however, listed in inches as opposed to millimeters. All I had to do was multiply these numbers by 25.4 to get the offset measurements in millimeters. Tourstage, Srixon, and Epon, on the other hand, list face progressions on their web sites. For these irons you'll need to know the hosel diameter to be able to convert to offset. At the moment, the Srixon numbers were calculated "assuming" they have the same hosel diameter as Tourstage and Epon. All other numbers should be accurate conversions from their respective web sites. Hope this helps.

Bat

I think you are misunderstanding - I only used Ping and Titileist as an example, as I know their hosel diameters are different. It had nothing to do with where their offset numbers came from.

I fully understand how offset is calculated and that you don't need to know the hosel dia to know offset UNLESS you are converting FP to Offset. Which you describe for Tourstage, Srixon, and Epon. Point being - if Tourstage and Srixon Hosel dia is different than Epon, then the conversion and the numbers are incorrect.

Charts like this are much appreciated and very useful - but only if they are accurate. If possible, could Gocchin or TourSpec Golfer verify the hsel dia for some of the Tourstage and Srixon Irons? And - it would be great to get the hosle dia for Burner TP and Burner Forged. I know that the TP Forged and Burner Forged are .370 Parallel tip so the dia looks larger. Thanks