You Can Only Have One Brand

idrive

(this is supposed to be fun) :atsg_smilie_roll:

I've always used the clubs that I thought were the best for my game. I don't really worry what brand it is even though I'd really like to play with one brand if it was possible.

So... I was thinking, if I could only use one brand, which one would it be? I'd actually like to have a bag and all the clubs in it be just one brand.

I think I've actually lost sleep trying to figure out which one it would be.

I think (at least at this moment) it would go like this...

PRGR

Tourstage

Epon

Fourteen

Yamaha - do they make a Putter?

Srixon

ONOFF

If Gold's Factory made Drivers and FW's I'd have them toward the top. Same with Sky Dream Jump.

If you could only play one brand, which one would it be? Why? :tsg_smiley_secret:

:tsg_smiley_putter2:

That is such a hard question!

For me right now it would be a toss up between PRGR and ONOFF as you can see from my bag. Both make great clubs that are very user friendly and average golfer friendly.

that is indeed a very hard question and would change depending on when it or was asked. but over the years my bag has evolved. for one i hardly ever change putter and wedges and they have remained virtually untouched since 07.

irons and drivers and woods come and go but amidst all the sets i have been loyal to one brand. that does not mean i did not try others, sure i did and tried a lot like but keep going with what works. its no secret that i build epon clubs but dont have to use em.

at every particular stage of my golfing life i have used epon circa pre 06 and there was always a particular model that suited my game. so its pretty obvious what my choice is:)

(this is supposed to be fun) :atsg_smilie_roll:

I've always used the clubs that I thought were the best for my game. I don't really worry what brand it is even though I'd really like to play with one brand if it was possible.

So... I was thinking, if I could only use one brand, which one would it be? I'd actually like to have a bag and all the clubs in it be just one brand.

I think I've actually lost sleep trying to figure out which one it would be.

I think (at least at this moment) it would go like this...

PRGR

Tourstage

Epon

Fourteen

Yamaha - do they make a Putter?

Srixon

ONOFF

If Gold's Factory made Drivers and FW's I'd have them toward the top. Same with Sky Dream Jump.

If you could only play one brand, which one would it be? Why? :tsg_smiley_secret:

:tsg_smiley_putter2:

Mine #1 choice would be Tourstage followed by a tie between Mizuno, Onoff, PRGR and EPON.

Great Post!

Right now I would say PRGR because the GN502 Tour is an amazing driver, I could not live without their fairway woods, The TR500 Forged limited irons are crazy awesome, MTI wedges are a bit ugly but perform well and are easy to use in just about any conditions. The only drawback is the putter although they feel good and are weighted well they just look a little too modern for me.

My second choice would be TourStage, No doubt amazing drivers and fairway woods that are much easier to hit than previous designs, The X-Blade 703 cavity backs are the perfect in between iron not too game improvement yet not exactly a compact players CB, the TourStage wedges have always been really good. The last part which is the putters is the most difficult part with this brand, they dont do it for me visually but I know they do the job.

Third choice is Yamaha I can play everything they have and be happy except again the putters are an issue.

Fourth is Fourteen, TC550 very easy to hit and smooth, the driver which is made by Endo and fairway woods are not the easiest to hit but still better than most, the wedges really are solid and the putters are pretty darn decent.

Epon would rank #5, although they make great gear like the AF302, AF151, and i33 putter which are all outstanding I just can't dail in the 208KGX wedge to save me and the fairway wood kills confidence and has a low percentage success rate compared to others.

Mine would probably have to be Epon. It's kinda odd as I don't own any Epon product. I've liked other product just slightly better in each of the specific categories, but if I had to pick a single maker, I think epon would be a fine source. I've hit a number of their clubs including the tour driver and irons and have been impressed. The putter isn't quite my style but am probably most willing to compromise on putter design over anything else.

Great topic!

As I spend hours reading reviews and getting info from all you people in cyber space trying to fill my empty bag here are my choices.

PRGR seems to have the best overall coverage in the market at fairly reasonable prices.

Tourstage comes second for me with great designs and a good name

Yamaha look amazing and most report good feel (especially irons)

Epon fill the last spot with some very loyal supporters although alot seem to be distributors / builders which may lower the cost?

Honourable mention to onoff!

Just as a side putters are not part of the bag to me they are part of the golfer! such love or hate could not be directed at just another golf club!!!!!!!!!

Vineman

It probably is no surprise that I would chose Yamaha. PRGR would be second. Both are inventive in their technology and that helps satisfy a club-ho's desires. I am not placing Yamaha and PRGR against one another, but these would be my top two choices based on all around appeal and results. I only mention my experiences to differentiate between my opinions.

However, as one of the more if not the most experienced Yamaha users here, I can say that I haven't been let down by their products yet. The drivers, fairway woods and irons are superb. Never tried a putter though. Their product line is high tech and well planned.

PRGR is also an innovative line and admittedly I only have experience with the 502GN Tour Driver and the BL irons from a few years ago. All nice stuff, but Yamaha excels. One case in point was my experience with the 2009 Yamaha 4.6V RPM driver and the PRGR GN 502 driver. I used multiple shafts in each and the Yamaha driver remained king. It was significantly longer and more controlled. I couldn't and haven't found any driver that can beat this setup, period. (Have a Kamui 420 on order) PRGR does have a leg up in the frequency of their product releases though.

I am tempted to buy a set of the new TR500 irons from PRGR, buy I keep asking myself "Why?" What is missing from my new Yamaha irons? Nothing.

I have played with Tourstage, Fourteen, PRGR, Callaway and Mizuno. All are great products. Once I play with Yamaha (V201 Driver), and Taylormade (Burner forged irons) I will let you know!! It is a very expensive hobby we all have!

Edited by Henry

Epon would rank #5, although they make great gear like the AF302, AF151, and i33 putter which are all outstanding I just can't dail in the 208KGX wedge to save me and the fairway wood kills confidence and has a low percentage success rate compared to others.

mmmmm..........stay tuned............... :tsg_smiley_secret:

Fun topic. Tough to answer.

I would assume as this is a JDM forum, you are limiting it to JDM clubs. I lean to Game Improvment type clubs. I have to admit, in some cases I looked over what each may or may not offer in the way of Putters.

My Top Ten:

1. TaylorMade - Only weakness are the wedges.

2. Mizuno - Upcoming offerings could push this past TM.

3. MacGregor - Very underated brand. With the inclusion of the DW Wedges, they have solid offerings.

4. OnOff - Clear distinction in lines and levels.

5. Epon - Would rank higher if there was a better offering of fairway woods and hybrids. If it were Irons alone they would be #1 or #2.

6. Srixon - Strong GI Line Up.

7. PRGR - Some great pieces I would like to own, but line up not as thorough as OnOff.

8. Fourteen - Weak woods offering. Some very nice designs but not crazy about Chinese forgings versus Japanese forgings.

9. Tourstage - Just don't get on with the look

10. Royal Collection - Class line up, just not alot for the GI golfer.

10. XXIO - A little redundant with Srixon's GI stuff

At first thought, I would have ranked much different. But I looked through each brand to see what I would put in a bag and it changed a few things. MacGregor went up and PRGR went down. Again, I go more GI, but not max GI. As an example I currently use TM TP Forged 2008s and am looking to go for the Burner Forged or Epon 502s.

Surpised no one has mentioned Miura, Their irons, wedges and putters are up there with the best. I have never played their Wood's/Utilities so I cannot comment on how good they are.

I would go Fourteen (pre Daiwa buy out) if I could go back to about 2-3 years.

But today 2010 I would have to go Tourstage. They are the only ones with enough options models that you can mix it up a bit i.e forgiving long irons, scoring mid-short irons. Great stock shaft availability on the drivers, hybrids and fws. The wedges are good enough. They had a BB16/Oddyssey 9 style putter last year as well as a bonus.

I'd say for feel of irons, Miura, Mizuno and Epon are all equal. They all feel fantastic..... slightly differences, just depends on what you like.

Putter - the new Epon putter feels very unique and nice...... the gold's is softer but lacks the feel I like..... build quality and finish is second to none with the Gold's though. However, my gamer...... Bettinardi MC-2,

Driver - Had an old epon technica - Great feel..... but, the adams 9015/6D is longer and feels as close to that as any driver i've ever hit.

Hybrid - Adams

Wedges - Vokey/Epon/Fourteen

3 - Wood - Still have my Epon technity - not the easiest club to hit.... especially off short stuff but when you get it right, it feels amazing, and the ball flies..... low penetrating bombs.

So

Irons - Miura/Mizuno/Epon

Driver - Adams (I know.... it feels so wrong to say on a exotic site like this)

3-Wood - Epon

Hybrid - Adams (to be fair, never tried a japanese hybrid)

Wedges - Vokey's - easier to hit but Epon spin's insanely, to say the least

Putter - Bettinardi makes the best feeling putters in the world in my opinion.

Shaft - Ha! That's like picking a favorite song.

So

Irons - Miura/Mizuno/Epon

Driver - Adams (I know.... it feels so wrong to say on a exotic site like this)

3-Wood - Epon

Hybrid - Adams (to be fair, never tried a japanese hybrid)

Wedges - Vokey's - easier to hit but Epon spin's insanely, to say the least

Putter - Bettinardi makes the best feeling putters in the world in my opinion.

Shaft - Ha! That's like picking a favorite song.

I think you missed the point of the thread. One brand for your entire bag.

Few people play the same brand in their bag, although when I find a brand good in one category of clubs I tend to want to try other type of clubs in that brand as well. And unfortunately, I have been disappointed. But ...

Miura - excellent irons and wedges, the driver is a classic player's driver as are the woods, only their putters are weak, but still pretty good.

Fourteen - a pretty complete company even though alot of stuff are made in China nowadays. Wedges still excellent. Putters are weak.

Tourstage - again a pretty complete company from woods to irons. Wedges and putters are weak but playable.

PRGR - With the new lines coming out, one could have a full bag of them. Older irons geared more for the average player. I don't know about the wedges or their putters.

Epon - pretty much a complete company like Tourstage.

If I had to play a complete bag of non-JDM clubs, then it would be Titleist.

I think you missed the point of the thread. One brand for your entire bag.

I guess I did, didn't I.

All, around..... Titleist has it all covered.

TourStage.

While I only play the irons and wedges, it would have to be TourStage since I'm not about to give those up.

And while I don't currently own any of their clubs, Yamaha would be second. Knowing my game and what I like, Yamaha could easily cover all my needs, provided I could get a hold of all of their limited product line.

When you considers bags, balls, shoes, gloves, excellent apparal, you name it... Tourstage has it. Looks like the overall winner amongst the posters.

My first WITB I posted on here years back was an all TS bag inc. the bag except for the FW's. The only club they make I've never got along with. I have not tried any TS FW's from the last 2 years.

Right now PRGR has most of my attention.

Thanks for posting guys.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Royal Collection, their drivers, fairway and hybrid woods are excellent. Their irons and wedges are excellent as well. Not sure about their putters, however my bettinardi should do fine, no?

Tourstage are also excellent.

Edited by mixedsg