Ryoma Premia 9.5 with Crazy CB-46 First Look

bogeydog

Yesterday I received my Ryoma built to the following specs. It was ordered right before the quake. Originally I wanted a V-spec 9.5, square, 200g head. Gocchin informed me that at that time this spec was "sold out!" I asked about the availability of the Premia in the same specs and he said it was possible.

The next issue was picking a shaft. Way back last year I bought a TJ-46 when they were first released. I installed it in my trusty Yamaha 4.6V RPM. Senior forum members may recall that I have had this diver head since December 2008 and it has stayed in the bag despite many many experiments with different shafts. The TJ-46 didn't work for me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I had a difficult time not blocking it right. Feel was glassy and one that I didn't prefer.

For me to consider a Crazy shaft again was a tough decision. However with the new profile choices, and some conversations with Gocchin, the CB 46 seemed like a good fit. I tend to do well with torque ratings in the low 4s. Much lower and I can't turn it over.In the past, I did well with the Bassara Griffin, Matrix Ozik Xcon5, and Roddio WBA6. The Crazy 6.7 has a torque rating of 4.3, 61g. It is described as having the distance of the TJ-46 with the control of the CB 80.

In another post, I was the first to demo the Ryoma 10.5 V-spec with stock Graphite Design SR flex shaft (after TourSpecGolfer). I found this to be a formidable combo however too high a traj for me and too spinny.

So in the end I ordered a 9.5 to naturally decrease launch and spin with the Crazy CB46 to launch mid to high with low spin.

Today was my first day with the club. It was at the range in 48 degree weather. I was with a buddy that saw the first Ryoma demo.Tthe V-spec is all black. The Premia has a golf sole and face. I told him that I had another one of those "expensive" drivers. You should have seen the look on his face when I removed the headcover and the club glowed gold. He said, "Holy s**t!"

Lets get down to brass tacks. I hit the club about 30 times. I missed it maybe 3 times. Damn easy to hit period. Here is how I can summarize it:

Looks - From address, I like it, alot. I don't know why, but it just makes me feel confident. It frames that ball very well. the golf doesn't affect me either way.

Feel - The head feels powerful. I think it feels pretty soft. Not Epon soft, but right up there with some of the best. The Premia does feel a little more lively than the V-spec. The shaft kicks hard. Way different feel than the TJ-46. Much smoother and harder kick.

Trajectory - Perfect. Mid flight. from what I can tell should perform well in wind and no wind conditions. No ballooning. As compared to the stock shaft, just what the doctor ordered. Nice angle of descent. Rollout was very good.

Performance - I couldn't tell overall distance gains because of the style of my range, however I think it likely very very long. With the low spin and nice carry, roll out will likely cause it to be a distance champ. What stands out is the forgiveness and ease of this club. This shaft allows me baby draws or straight balls. No problems with the right. I tried to overcook it and didn't get it coming to the left. I am very pleased so far. Very predictable.

I can't claim huge distance gains yet, but the control and forgiveness has been seen. My guess is that the distance gains will show when I get onto the course with a real golf ball. If I can hit more fairways, and gain some distance in the process, the Ryoma/Crazy combo has won and so have I. More after this weekend....

Specs:

Ryoma 9.5* Premia, 200g, square face

Crazy CB46, 6.7 flex, 45", D2 swing weight

Edited by bogeydog

It is too early to tell. The head is responsible for the forgiveness and the shaft for the distance and control. The stock shaft was easily overcome with a hard swing. It also ballooned for me.

Great post. Do you think the performance is you are seeing are mostly from the shaft for the head?

I am debating on either the stock Ryoma or a Crazy shafted one.

I have the demo with the stock shaft & took it for the 1st to the range earlier for quite a few swings. IMHO, the upgrade to a Crazy or Quadra will be well worth it!

The performance is certainly from a combination of both head and shaft.

I am glad I was finally able to chose the right shaft for you B.

The 46 is an amazing all around shaft.

Your feedback on it is right on, great kick but also great control.

Can't wait to hear more!

Very nice review. Keep us posted with your progress

Bogeydog,

Thanks for sharing. It is interesting to see the Crazy TJ46 did not work that well for you.

The Kamui with TJ46 you sold me is working great, I am also debating a Ryoma but do not know which shaft to go for.

Do you feel the new CB46 is a big improvement on the TJ46 in gaining in "smoothness".

For me, the TJ46 did feel quite smooth already. Smooth shaft work well for me, so this shaft may be an option.

I am also considering the FE Proto.

Decisions, decisions..

Thanks

F

I have the demo with the stock shaft & took it for the 1st to the range earlier for quite a few swings. IMHO, the upgrade to a Crazy or Quadra will be well worth it!

Fatman what is your swing like? I ask because Im in my 60s with smooth swing and about 90mph swing speed, i'm wondering if the stock shaft accommodates people like me.

The Cb46 is easier for me top turn over than the Tj. It has better feeling also. It also seems to be a softer profile. It has been a while since I had the Tj. Let me spend some more time with it over the weekend. I too have the Quadra. I think I prefer this model Crazy to the Quadra.

The Premia I built is square face angle so it is the same as ever stock v-spec. obviously the Premia has a gold face and sole. The shape from address is the same. I think the PRemus feels a Tad softer and more powerful. I can't see any difference in spin or forgiveness. The Premia is one degree lower in loft so it would spin a little less.

Fatman what is your swing like? I ask because Im in my 60s with smooth swing and about 90mph swing speed, i'm wondering if the stock shaft accommodates people like me.

To be honest, my swing is a mess right now. The stock shaft could work for you. Gocchin would be the best person to ask. That being said, I believe that the right premium shaft for you will just perform better.

nice review, im eyeing the v 9.5 but i think the problem is the shaft selection for this

particular head. i love my quadra fex 102 combo and dont want to touch this so may

experiment in a crazy. did not have a good experience with crazy the first time around,

will defintely research more on a suitable crazy. thing is its daunting as they have soo

many choices.

want one with specs as close to to the weight, torque and launch of the quadra fex 65s

I can't edomain why but this shaft seems user friendly. The fire express is also great but I need to really hit it to get it going. It is a sr flex. I too was skeptical about the Crazy however spent some time really looking at the specs. The Crazy Black 46 intrigued me because of the slightly softer profile, torque ratings with low spin. I also watched the videos of the Crazy pro testing each shaft. You can see the numbers of his testing if you watch closely. These are on Crazys website. Once I thought this may be a good choice, gocchin helped confirm it was a good choice.

I can't edomain why but this shaft seems user friendly. The fire express is also great but I need to really hit it to get it going. It is a sr flex. I too was skeptical about the Crazy however spent some time really looking at the specs. The Crazy Black 46 intrigued me because of the slightly softer profile, torque ratings with low spin. I also watched the videos of the Crazy pro testing each shaft. You can see the numbers of his testing if you watch closely. These are on Crazys website. Once I thought this may be a good choice, gocchin helped confirm it was a good choice.

comgrats it looks like your due diligence paid off. hardest part is getting the right shaft, and with the crazy,

if can really break the bank if you dont get it right the first , 2nd or even 3rd time. Thanks for the inputs

i could defintely use a half a flex softer on the crazy. concentrating on something with higher mid/high

launch with low spin.

The cb46 is the only one I could find with the 6.7 flex. I thought about the cb80ls but I thought I wouldn't do well with the low 3 torque rating. This is a good combo of both worlds so far.

I just returned from playing 5 rounds with this setup. IMO the driver performed really well. A few key points:

1. The setup has superb feel - I think as good as anything I have hit.

2. The distance is damn good. Sometimes probably the longest, but most times just right up there in length.

3. Workability - With the high forgiveness, I would expect this to be low. Not true. Despite my shot being a straight ball, I could work it fairly well.

4. Forgiveness - Can't say much more than what has been said by many others.

5. Shaft - Profile fits me well. I really enjoy the kick and feel. Baby draws are easy for me with this shaft. I really stepped on it a few times and didn't suffer much loss of control.

6. Launch - I could vary the launch with how high I tee'd up the ball. Low tees resulted in higher launch. Interesting as I hot it off the fairway a few times.

Overall, it flat out works. I am not sure how I would tweak it more. if you have any questions, let me know.

5 rounds is a pretty good test I would think!

It sounds like a very well rounded performer for you and I guess thats more than what anyone could ask for.

I'm tempted to try a CB46 myself... feedback has been very good.

The Premia I built is square face angle so it is the same as ever stock v-spec. obviously the Premia has a gold face and sole. The shape from address is the same. I think the PRemus feels a Tad softer and more powerful. I can't see any difference in spin or forgiveness. The Premia is one degree lower in loft so it would spin a little less.

IMO black faces feel a bit more firm.

It heated up here to the higher 80s. I hit the Ryoma again. Boy did it feel smooth and soft. Really nice.

One more note on the shaft. It is a straight to draw for me. I don't find that it slices at all. It may be that the head closes very fast as compared to the Epon AF-152 that was reviewed.

The Cb46 is easier for me top turn over than the Tj. It has better feeling also. It also seems to be a softer profile. It has been a while since I had the Tj. Let me spend some more time with it over the weekend. I too have the Quadra. I think I prefer this model Crazy to the Quadra.

The TJ - 46 also didn't work for me B, I want to go for Crazy again and i am having doubts. After reading your post i really want to try the CB-46 but now I am worried about the flex. I am using the FE 55 SR and i am hitting straight and only sometimes a slight draw. I am wondering what was your Quadra's flex? Is the CB-46 6.7 flex too harsh for you? I also owned the LY-01 and 2 before, both i didn't like now that you said. it felt glassy which i did not like. I hope that the CB is not like that. I still own a TJ - 46 6.2 flex , really not my cup of tea but i still keep it for the sake of just owning one.

Oops i didn't see that you wrote you owned the SR flex of the FE. I was hesitant to change because i found that the FE was so nice and i don't have a reason to change except that i could do with a little lesser spin. I was thinking of getting the 6.2 but i thought might be a little to soft for me but am scared that the 6.7 is too stiff. Argghhhhhh the decision is too tough.

Edited by gbs

Yes I had the Quadra in the 65g SR flex. I hit it straight to fade. The Crazy CB 46 feels softer and smoother. I can hit draws and fares with it which I could not do with the Quadra. I wanted to be able to draw the Quadra but I couldn't. My buddy can draw the Quadra. The 6.7 feels plenty soft to me however Chris seemed to think it is stout in the AF-152. I think the 6.2 would be too soft if you like the Quadra FE55 in SR.

Yes I had the Quadra in the 65g SR flex. I hit it straight to fade. The Crazy CB 46 feels softer and smoother. I can hit draws and fares with it which I could not do with the Quadra. I wanted to be able to draw the Quadra but I couldn't. My buddy can draw the Quadra. The 6.7 feels plenty soft to me however Chris seemed to think it is stout in the AF-152. I think the 6.2 would be too soft if you like the Quadra FE55 in SR.

Thanks for that. I will look into it.

the tj 46 i have is for bombing dead straight. doenst wanna move or get in the air ive found its my wind buster!

the 80s are low but nothing like the tj

and totally differnt feeling

the tj has to be the lowest of all shafts ive treid.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered a new Ryoma VSpec 9.5 with Crazy Black 46 from TSG. Have to say thank you to all the people who gave the wonderful reviews here and hope that when i receive it it'll be as good as people suggested. Time to say good bye to my Epon AF151 in a few weeks time!!