How many of you build your own clubs????

RIduffer

Roll your own or pay someone else  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you build your own clubs?

Given the amount of shaft swapping that goes on here, I am curios if learning how and investing in club building is worthwhile...

well i dont actually do the building bit, hat i lave to skilled workman, but i get an idea in my head and get him to do it.

does this count?

design VS construction.

all construction needs an architect right ?

well i dont actually do the building bit, hat i lave to skilled workman, but i get an idea in my head and get him to do it.

does this count?

design VS construction.

all construction needs an architect right ?

Yea.. Ditto. I have one KZG dealer here and real great to work with. Same thing, i throw the ideas and he does it.

I would love to have the money to have a set up to initially do mine, then friends for cheap then who knows from there. Not a get rich scheme but a hobby i know i will have the passion for.

So much learnt throughout the years and can't do the practical yourself is sooo.. well frustrating..

well just like stew i do all the designing , formulating , in essence

the recipees are all mine i just dont do the chopping and mincing.

i do however own all the equipment and gear in the club shop so i guess

that counts:)

ive built my own clubs as well only thing i hate doing is the gripping.

well just like stew i do all the designing , formulating , in essence

the recipees are all mine i just dont do the chopping and mincing.

i do however own all the equipment and gear in the club shop so i guess

that counts:)

ive built my own clubs as well only thing i hate doing is the gripping.

Hey C, your sidekick Edgar still with you?

I did my first re-grip probably 5 years ago and that has exploded into a whole workshop. Hydraulic puller, loft and lie machine, more shafts, epoxy and ferrules than I need. I like doing the work myself, it is a relaxing hobby.

At the moment, every club I have in my bag I have shafted myself.

I have also built/refurbished a set of 1920's and a set of 1890's hickory clubs, which they are only a few people in the world who actually do that type of work.

I do regripping and reshafting for a few of my buddies and they have always complimented on the work that I do for them. I do work for my buddies for the cost of materials and 6 or 12 pack of beers. Way cheaper for them than having the local shops do it and they get all the customization they want.

I take it as a source of pride that I build my own clubs. It also gives me a little piece of mind, because I know the attention to detail I used when building my clubs.

Hey C, your sidekick Edgar still with you?

yup he is, damn fine best club builder i have ever encountered. he is OC which is good in a way.

doesnt help that i relocated him 1 min away from my house so i can have him build my clubs on a

whim. hes probably doing some tweak every other day. its a curse man i tell ya:)

yup he is, damn fine best club builder i have ever encountered. he is OC which is good in a way.

doesnt help that i relocated him 1 min away from my house so i can have him build my clubs on a

whim. hes probably doing some tweak every other day. its a curse man i tell ya:)

haha that's great C! Say hello for me.. Tell him my 1st ever sub par round came after his blueprint :)

Thanks for letting me use Egay :) You taught him well hehe oh whats OC?

Edited by Eca

haha that's great C! Say hello for me.. Tell him my 1st ever sub par round came after his blueprint :)

Thanks for letting me use Egay :) You taught him well hehe oh whats OC?

obssessive compulsive. doesnt quit til all the clubs are in order :) good thing

I do my own but only if I'm in the mood and usually if the club does not matter. I have careless ways and that sometimes causes some hosel discoloration and not perfectly aligned grips. Most of the time I would rather pay someone else to do the job but only after I am satisfied he will do a better job than I will, and will sometimes bring along a tool to make the job easier if the guy is incomplete in tools or is using a tool I don't like. My most recent tool acquisition is a rotary brush for a gun barrel which I use to clean the hosel. One of these days I need to buy a bench grinder or a belt sander so I can ruin some wedges by doing my own grinding.

Shambles

obssessive compulsive. doesnt quit til all the clubs are in order :) good thing

Oh lol, definitely a good thing. When i got the clubs, I called him & I asked him, are you that good that I can't see any changes? He said, sir I picked the shaft bands one by one so they look exactly ad they were.. I'm like omg coz I specifically txt him at start to not waste time on that lol.

I have access to a friend's club building facilities so I do all the on my own clubs from cutting, filing, shimming, swing weighting, tipping, epoxying, shimming if needed, spining, used to do floing, gripping, lie loft adjustment etc the whole 9 yards. Used to hate bore heads as that is troublesome, time consuming and overall just more intensive.

yep..... but only small jobs..... shaft swaps, regrips etc. hardest part is getting ferrules to look good.

just changed thshafts in my fourteen wedges to Ns pros.... turned out well except i used some white ferrules i had lying around and realised i don't like the look much

yep..... but only small jobs..... shaft swaps, regrips etc. hardest part is getting ferrules to look good.

just changed thshafts in my fourteen wedges to Ns pros.... turned out well except i used some white ferrules i had lying around and realised i don't like the look much

thats where a very fine fine grit belt sander comes in handy to buff out the ferrules

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

That's my first post on here :), I'm from Spain and yes, I've made some of my clubs myself.

I've made some drivers withe snake eyes heads, two wedges and now... a complete set of Geotech GT Forged is comming.

Regards for all.

• 3 months later...

thats where a very fine fine grit belt sander comes in handy to buff out the ferrules

That's for the well equipped man. For those of us who do not have a belt sander, a sharp blade to cut off the excess, a bit of sandpaper to round out the ferrule and a final polish with acetone to return the shine of the plastic.

Shambles

BTW,

I don't actually build my own clubs as I prefer to at least try playing the clubs as they come from the manufacturer. However, after a bit of time, I do sometimes rebuild the set to specs I think might work better for me.

Shambles

Edited by Shambles

• 3 weeks later...

I usually do my own club builds but on occasion I will have my builder do the work as well ! I like the part where I dont have to wait for clubs when I do them myself. It doesnt cost much to start working on your own clubs but you should have some experience or at least watch some you tube videos on "how to" ! The things you basically need are heat gun, chop saw or pipe cutter, a ruler,

glue, ferrules, grip tape, grips, solvent, hook blade, scale and some tungsten powder or tip weights and then later you can get a shaft puller, vise, frequency analyzer, lie/loft machine, swing balance scale...etc

I have found turning ferrules to be very easy with 220 grit sand paper or 400 grit and acetone...Most importantly set the ferrules flush with the hosel of the iron....JDM, especially epon are very tight tolerances. the ferrule should fit over the hosel with room to spare. Sand the ferrule with the sand paper until it is flush ( dont oversand ! ) The use acetone to smooth it out and get an exact fit, then use grip solvent to restore the luster to the ferrule ! The acetone as well as the solvent is applied in light even strokes, experiement with this before even attempting to turn down a ferrule. Always dry fit everything before glueing !