Akira Muscle Backs

JMCMB

Came across some pictures of some new Akira MB's on the web, they look gorgeous, absolutely stunning.... I'm curious if anyone knows anything about them? Are they forged? My biggest turn off with the other Akira irons has been that they are cast, the shape and design of them is perfect, but I just get kinda hesitant with cast irons... Probably just my own personal bias coming into play, and it probably doesn't affect performance at all, but I just naturally lean towards a forged club over a cast club...

But yeah, the blades look awesome and would love to know more, would also love to hear if anyone has gamed any of the Akira cavities and how they perform and feel.

I would link pictures, but I'm totally computer illiterate and have no idea how.... But if you search google images for either of the two Akira cavities listed on TSG you'll get some pics of the MB's towards the top of the page.

J.

Chris, I believe you and Tatsuro did a review on the KS201, how did they stack up to other cavities out now? Did you enjoy them? Again, the fact that they're cast is kinda a turn off for me, but I just cannot get over the shape of every iron they put out, they really seem to get it right... Possible to do a cavity/MB combo set?

J.

We will be getting a few of the MB's in about a month.

yea everything from Akira is cast but a couple things stand out for them.

- small quantitities produced at the limits of tolerance

- shape and design is pretty close to perfect.

As you mention they got the shape's done right. The KS201 sat well it just didn't feel as pure. It was soft for a casting no doubt but something was missing.

For me it's that feeling of compression, where you really feel the ball mush into the face and spin off... I have hit very soft cast clubs, just as soft of forged clubs as far as when you nut it dead center, you barely feel the ball at all, which is def a nice soft feel, but without just a touch of solid or the compression feel I described to balance it, the clubs feel kinda muted... That just my personal experience with cast clubs, and while it def doesn't make them bad clubs, not at all, nor does that really effect the overall performance, it's just not as rewarding of a feel as I find with other forged options... One thing I'm really curious about is how the Akiras actually perform because people really seem to love the Akira line of woods, and if the irons perform just as well, then I would def look into a CB/MB combo set if it's possible to do.....

J.

• 4 weeks later...

the MB's look great and while I may be in the minority here, I love the feel of 8620, I prefer that crisp feel over the feel of most forged irons, I currently game the KS-201's and love them, every iron in the set looks great and the sole grinds are perfect, I love the Akira stuff