best of the best compey

supo

my buddy recently returne my old adams 9015 d a4 driver to me , and it rekindled some absolutely magic moments in driving.

i used this driver before i made my foray in to JDM and shafted it after i found the quadra fire express with a 65xs

my returned driver is shattered so i bought another head yesterday

to do a head to head with whithout a doubt the best non JDM driver id ever picked up with my current stocks to see if and what the main discernable differnces are.

as far an non JDM products go, adams would be the only brand id consider in woods, every one ive hit , ive hit well

but they only thing i remember is that they arnt the best feeling clubs .

thats kinda moot tho iof it goes it goes..!

i get this next week so ill get it up and running soon

thinking of putting a crazy noir in it that should be a good taster

just for a coke Vs pepsi kinda thing.........,

results soon

what a waste of a good shaft ...JK.

i too will only game adam woods and hybrids.

there hybrids especially the PNT2 is even better

designed than the JDM stuff weve come to love.

havent found a jdm hybrid that i can get along with.

for drivers i like the old titleist d2/d3 and the old

callaway ERC3, man those were good US jspec drivers.

too bad i got sick of em.

good luck with the experimentations.

C

Let us know how it goes... got a feeling any head with that shaft will shot stars.....!

I also came from Adams. C, remember the tour speedline classic u built with Oban devo?

That was an absolute beast. It was really the speedline tour version of the 9015d. Still sad to see it go but my wrist couldn't handle the heft anymore.

Let us know how it goes Stew. It'll b interesting.

Edited by Eca

Funny you mention this, Stew, as I have been debating whether to try my 1998 Hogan Apex Plus irons with a JDM iron shaft. I loved those clubs, but never hit them really well with the stock shafts. There's some debate as to whether they were forged by Endo in Japan or in Fort Worth; in any case, they're smooth as, but the stock shafts just suck. Right now, they're sitting around gathering moss, so your reshafting project has given me inspiration.

Any definitive knowledge from the JDM pros here as to the origin of the forgings?

Thanks for the reply. Makes more sense it was FW, although there were lots of people arguing for Endo. Sounded like an odd choice, given their history.

What did you think of the clubs?

Yea the ones iahd werethe most gorrible feeling things id ever hit newly shafted with dg toir issue myelbow felt like it was going to explode i have no idea why the americans think these are good i presume its bec it jas hogans name on them but i was alarmed they were1600 usd or some thing crazy oh boy ouch!

Wow, sorry to hear that. Not my experience at all. Were the ones you tried originals, Spalding-era, or Callaway-era?

My 98s were nice and soft-firm on the sweet spot. Good feel. Not like a certain set of Miuraisms (!), but more than the match of the Mizuno EZ Comps and Ping i2s I alternated with at the time. How times have changed!

I still might try a reshaft to see how they go, but will note that I've been forewarned!

I would think a good shaft in the Adams would help the feel and performance... my Classic with a VooDoo by you shaft

feels like crap and doesn't perform much better.

In all fairness I'm sure a "better" shaft would make a diff. in the Classic.

Really curious how the Adams will stack up.

yea i hit some of my best drives with this head and hte quadra fex 65xs

some absolute beauties

dont know why this got me going agn, was just seeing the old classic i nthe bag all ebat up.

that matrix 60s shaft is an absolute piece of poo like a string of cooked spaggetti.

horrible thing.

i m gonna put the fex back in it for the charrengey

see how she goes.

@supo. Just found (by accident) your original post about the Hogans you hit. We're talking about very different clubs here. Mine are spalding-era Apex Plus irons. I got the date wrong, though. They were made from 1999-2001, and they WERE forged by Endo, according to the designer of the clubs (go to http://www.sheetsdesigngroup.com/past.html and scroll down to "Hogan" and read his comments on the design of this club and the 1999 Apex). I'll take some photos of them next to my Miura CB-2006s. It's uncanny how similar they are. I stand by my original comments about their feel. Would still like to try them with decent shafts, and compare to newer Endo offerings like the AF-302. A project for another day...if I can find some cheap NS Pros or similar to shaft them with.

While on the topic of older non-JDM irons, I was wondering if anyone's tried vintage, classic musclebacks like the 1969 Wilson Staff "bulletbacks", 1971 "buttonbacks", or Macgregor Nicklaus Muirfields? They look like they'd be fun to try, and they're relatively cheap on the 'bay. Any particular suggestions out there of ones to look for, based on past experience? I might get a few singles and give them a whack.

i found a classic yamaha tour from eons ago, not sure how old it is but its a wll. thye dont make em like htis anymore.

i gotta get it give it a whirl . puts a new twsit on muscle back il post a photo of it.

Here are some photos. The Hogans have red stripes on the hosels; the Miuras have gold. Hogans are chunkier on the topline, to be sure. Otherwise, very similar....

post-14694-096106200 1321502306.jpg

post-14694-070916800 1321502309.jpg

post-14694-014476900 1321502312.jpg

post-14694-011065000 1321502317.jpg

post-14694-043318700 1321502319.jpg

ah totally differnt to the things i hit ,

my elbow still reocovering from the trauma .

these look like somehting ive seen before here.

trying to think what it is very similar, ithink its a tourstage or srixon from a few yrs ago like 02-03 ish ??

right my adams 9015d a4 head arrived last night

shafting it with graphite design md 7x to play 44.5 d1 little shorter . little lighter . little more control for that heave ho head.

should be a good test.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh now im onto something

furhter to my USA vs JP. driver test

adams 90154 -- GD DI 7x VS epon 101--diaman stinger 70s

tht will happen this wekeend

how about this......................

the tour edge exotics cb1 spoon VS yamaha v14 spoon

i need to shaft that TEE with a kaili 70x , this week and the yamaha has a shingo spec roddio m6 @ 291 cpm.

i love the TEE but its IMPOSSIBLE to hit off the deck.

the yamaha is the best allrounder ive tried.

but on a head to head???

that will go o nthis weekend as well. results monday

long live the victor.

Edited by supo67

Hi Stew, I think the 1st pairing will interesting & i'm guessing close.

Is the 2nd pairing also drivers or fwys?

Edited by Eca

Awesome! I had the CB2 & CB3 but not CB1 but i frequently hear how good the CB1 is. I liked the CB3 but the egg (older model) off the deck beat it.

Looking forward to this!

ah totally differnt to the things i hit ,

my elbow still reocovering from the trauma .

these look like somehting ive seen before here.

trying to think what it is very similar, ithink its a tourstage or srixon from a few yrs ago like 02-03 ish ??

Royal Collection I'm thinking.

• 4 weeks later...

Bad paint jobs on most of the Adams line.