Wood 3 shaft recommendation!

bkkgolfer

I'm currently using BB 6X in my Driver and I'm loving the feel of it and it's mid launch.

If I like to have the "BB feel" in my 3 Wood, can I shaft it up with 7X as recommended by a friend?

OR

What is the usual practice of selecting a shaft for 3 Wood?

I'm swing aggressively at about 105mph for my driver achieving distances of about 270 yards (mostly Carry).

Though BB 6S, I think, is more suitable for me, I like the dispersion of 6X.

Driver length is 46.25" with D4 SW at a static weight of 331g.

Hope the above information is enough for shaft recommendation.

Thanks in advance!

Merry X'mas to all TSGers!

I had a similar dilema to you: I have a Diamana Kai'li 60X in my driver and loved the ballflight and feel. I have a similar model of 3 wood to my driver but needed a shaft for it, so I put the question to other TSGers and had lots of shaft suggetstions from different manufactures, but I then had a eureka moment.....I thought why not put a Kai'li 70X in my 3 wood. It makes sense...............so I have 1 on the way! Lets hope it feels as good as the driver. If it does I'll be in :tsg_smiley_heart:

So yeah, go for the 7X

Edited by Ian-500

I think Driver shafts make better 3 wood shaft than , say a Fairway Shaft!

Well that's the route ill be going!

I had a similar dilema to you: I have a Diamana Kai'li 60X in my driver and loved the ballflight and feel. I have a similar model of 3 wood to my driver but needed a shaft for it, so I put the question to other TSGers and had lots of shaft suggetstions from different manufactures, but I then had a eureka moment.....I thought why not put a Kai'li 70X in my 3 wood. It makes sense...............so I have 1 on the way! Lets hope it feels as good as the driver. If it does I'll be in :tsg_smiley_heart:

So yeah, go for the 7X

I do hope that works. Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck!

I think Driver shafts make better 3 wood shaft than , say a Fairway Shaft!

Well that's the route ill be going!

Funnily enough the 70X I've won on ebay is a pull from a driver, so a quick butt cut and viola, new FW shaft! Is haven't received it yet so who knows when I'll get the chance to try it out?!? Gggrrrrrrrrrrr

I do hope that works. Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck!

Same with you, let us know how it works out

Funnily enough the 70X I've won on ebay is a pull from a driver, so a quick butt cut and viola, new FW shaft! Is haven't received it yet so who knows when I'll get the chance to try it out?!? Gggrrrrrrrrrrr

Good old EBay!!

I'm currently using BB 6X in my Driver and I'm loving the feel of it and it's mid launch.

If I like to have the "BB feel" in my 3 Wood, can I shaft it up with 7X as recommended by a friend?

OR

What is the usual practice of selecting a shaft for 3 Wood?

I'm swing aggressively at about 105mph for my driver achieving distances of about 270 yards (mostly Carry).

Though BB 6S, I think, is more suitable for me, I like the dispersion of 6X.

Driver length is 46.25" with D4 SW at a static weight of 331g.

Hope the above information is enough for shaft recommendation.

Thanks in advance!

Merry X'mas to all TSGers!

Usually route is to refit for a 3 wood shaft. Some people can play the same thing, some people can't at all. For the guys that tend to only use their 3 wood off the tee, typically they're making the same swing as they do with the driver, so keeping the same shaft makes perfect sense.

For the guys who hit their 3 wood from a deck a lot, now we have to be concerned about elevating the ball for more carry distance. We also have to factor in a downward or level blow. These things tend to mean we're looking at something with at least a softer tip section if not a softer overall profile.

Something else to mention specifically about GD shafts. The 7 model will play stiffer in the same flex rating as the 6 or 8 model (at least for the DI, DJ and BB that I've had profiled). For big swingers, going straight to the 7 makes sense. For anyone who prefers a 6 series and they want the same shaft in their fairway, they usually either go with a 6 again in the FW or jump the 8 depending on their distance vs control requirements.