Epon 501s, 551s, 502s

boycer11

So I am currently playing the 502s with ctapers stiff flex, and they are 2* upright. I went to a local fitter that had 501s with project x 5.0s and 302s with dg s300. 6 iron swing speed is around 86, driver 102.

The 502s do feel kind of numb and I do tend to pull them because they are upright, but like the flight, length and forgiveness of the 502s.

I loved the feel of the the 501s with the project x 5.0s. Flight and forgivess was good. The 302s seemed a lot shorter and didnt feel as good as the 501. Not sure is it was the s300s or me not having the game for them.

So do I sell my 502s and get rf551s or some 501s, or do I just put some modus 3 or project x pxi in my 502s and lower the lie 1 or 2 degrees tp make them softer and straighter?

Thanks guys, have a good day.

Edited by boycer11

I told you about the 502s, add modus 3 and they would be worse for me. It's 4th and long punt.

The 302s will feel more clicky and sound "hollow?" on off center shots, especially thin ones. This was confusing because for me I was getting good results on the mis**ts and was like...these things aren't soft, they're clicky and hollow. But the shot results was more like I hit the sweet spot because of their surprising forgiveness... After a little more dialing in I realized I was missing the sweet spot more than I thought, and adjusted accordingly. What shaft was in the 302? I know it sounds strange but a NS950 S shaft always gives me a heel side strike, I guess due to toe droop of the soft tip section. A stiffer tip shaft could lead to more thin toe shots.

If they don't feel soft, you aren't hitting the sweet spot, plain and simple. If you pure a 302 it feels like you hit a bouncy ball out of a supermarket vending machine instead of a golf ball. Since you're accustomed to hitting Pings you are probably playing the Epons too far out on the toe. With any Japanese player's iron try playing them more to the heel side of what you're used to...

Could also just be the 502s or 501s are more suited to you. No shame in that either. I'd try and hit them again using this advice and see what you think. I have to believe based on my experiences that any 15 cap or better should have little trouble with the 302s. After playing player's irons for a while my ball striking has improved so much that when I hit a forgiving iron now it's automatic.

Oh...and don't compare feel when you've got a C Taper Stiff in an iron with your 6i SS. That's can't feel too great compared to a 5.0 PX or any softer shaft. Apples and oranges.

I would definitely stick with the 502s. Sounds like you need to get a fitting and make the changes.

Haven't played 551s but not sure there is much difference from 501s apart for the finish (which does look nice). 501/551 will have a different feel compared to 502s a bit more or a clicky feel. Forgiveness wise there isn't really in it.

I like the look of the RF551 best and especially in this new finish.

The 502 was for me the more forgiving club.

The RF551 had a more clicky feel while the 502 was muted.

The 551 compared to the 302's I think the 302's feel better.

Also look at the new 2013 ONOFF Forged! I think that could be the ticket.

I love how we seem to turn people in a different direction from there original posted items when asking for recommendations...

Oh...and don't compare feel when you've got a C Taper Stiff in an iron with your 6i SS. That's can't feel too great compared to a 5.0 PX or any softer shaft. Apples and oranges.

We knew I would probably need to change out the ctapers didnt we. Guess I need to go back and see which shaft you recommended.

If the new shafts dont work, it may be on to the onoff forged.

We knew I would probably need to change out the ctapers didnt we. Guess I need to go back and see which shaft you recommended.

If the new shafts dont work, it may be on to the onoff forged.

I must say that the OnOff forged looks awfully nice in photos..Like some sort of perfect blend type of iron.

Way all you guys change clubs, I'm sure some used ones will pop up soon. ha ha

Have a set of 950 GH WF in stiff that would probably feel real good in those heads… They got yanked from a set of TS 905s a couple/few years ago… If you want them, pay for shipping and a dozen balls, Cally Hex Black or there abouts(Need to be specific with some of the jokers around here, might end up with exploding balls or something) and they are yours...

How about naked lady balls

Your naked lady has balls? Huh?

I have a great reply to this that probably would be frowned about in this establishment

Your naked lady has balls? Huh?

Wouldn't that make her a him, or a him in process of becoming a her, or…. Suddenly I am reminded of Eddie Murphy...

The 551s and 501s are basically the same although i swear the grind is a little bit different.

for me the 551s are more forgiving than the 502s. I like how their is an undercut cavity

on the longer irons for more forgiveness.

551s are clicky which is a good thing for me, the 502s were muted but still very very good feeling.

the 302s feel the best most especially with the modus, they are butter!

as to the finish of the 551s they are quite durable, have been gaming mine for around 5 months

no problems at all.

Thanks for the info spoon.

I prefer the 551 over the 502, the 502 are too muted for me due to the alpha gel. The 551 has a thinner top line and less offset than the 502, I actually found the 551 just as forgiving if not more thanks to the under cut in the longer irons.

I prefer the 551 over the 502, the 502 are too muted for me due to the alpha gel. The 551 has a thinner top line and less offset than the 502, I actually found the 551 just as forgiving if not more thanks to the under cut in the longer irons.

exactly! more forgiving than the 502 most defintely. longer too!

The 551s and 501s are basically the same although i swear the grind is a little bit different.

for me the 551s are more forgiving than the 502s. I like how their is an undercut cavity

on the longer irons for more forgiveness.

551s are clicky which is a good thing for me, the 502s were muted but still very very good feeling.

the 302s feel the best most especially with the modus, they are butter!

as to the finish of the 551s they are quite durable, have been gaming mine for around 5 months

no problems at all.

thanks for the info, i am torn between the 551's and 302's. Having a durable a sleek finish is pretty high up on my list. :)

I put the 502s up on ebay. We will see what happens.

Not sure how forgiving we want golf clubs to be, should golfers expect the ball fly straight and long no matter how you hack at it? Seriously, I think most reputable cavity backs these days, regardless of the brand and model, can get the job done amply well. Beyond that, it's golf lessons and not club forgiveness you'd need. Personally, I like the 502 over the 302 over the 551, though I've only hit the 551 at an indoor range. I do not think the 502s are as lacking in feel as I've often read. The more I play with it, the more I am enjoying it; I can clearly feel the satisfaction of a good shot off it, more than I can say of the 302, which is just way too soft for me -- I hope the MCI would spark a love affair between us. I also do not think the 302 is necessarily 'easier' to shape shots with, the 502 happen to be as workable when you get used to it.

In the end, I do not think swapping the 502 for 551 or 501 to be a step forward. The OP's comparisons simply have too many variables like shaft, lie, etc, any of which could change the game completely, for anyone to make a pinpoint recommendation. If it was me, I'd just go to a good fitter and get the shaft, lie, loft all fixed on the 502. That is, if it was me. :)

+1 on the above but what am a guy like me to say when I have 6 sets of irons lol