Srixon XX10?

bonez13

Has anyone hit the hottest driver out of japan? I read a reveiw but have never seen or hit one. Anyone? :roll:

It not nearly the hottest driver in Japan but it is the best selling driver of 2003 and perhaps 2004. XXIO is geared toward the slower swing speed player with every XXIO driver having a closed face 1 degree - 2.5 degrees 8O . They are made by Dunlop and dunlops brand for better players is Srixion with square and slightly closed face drivers. I compare XXIO to callaway with there thick top line and large cavity irons.

• 2 months later...

I needed a new driver quick and jumped on a "cheap" XXIO 350cc 9* Non-Conforming on Ebay, w/ stock SV300 stiff. Didn't realize it sits quite closed which is not what I prefer and the stiff shaft isn't quite that stiff either.

Anyhow, thinking I'd be hitting hooks or big pushes (resulting from the shaft not catching up with the club head), I put it in play yesterday during a casual round. Oh Baby what a stick! I couldn't miss a fairway and was hitting high piercing bombs. This club is supposedly geared towards slower swing speeds yet mine is 105-110mph. Indeed all the specs would indicate that it would help a slower swing but you just can't argue with results. I thought the TS X-390 was my new found driver of choice and bought the XXIO as an interim driver while trying to decide on the exact specs I wanted in a X-390 (had previously owned the Tourspec w/ GD Blue G6.5). The TS is now off my charts and I've suddenly become a XXIO fan. Going to scour Ebay for a 3 wood and I've been checking out the XXIO Japan website admiring their new models!

I have an important match on Monday and have decided not to mess with the shaft before then since I hit it so well. After that game I'll try a few different set-ups. This is the first time I've hit a new club so solid straight out of the box. The wrapper literally came off just before the round and I barely had time to even waggle it.

Chris, any info on the new XXIO woods?

Didier

• 3 weeks later...
I needed a new driver quick and jumped on a "cheap" XXIO 350cc 9* Non-Conforming on Ebay, w/ stock SV300 stiff.  Didn't realize it sits quite closed which is not what I prefer and the stiff shaft isn't quite that stiff either.

Anyhow, thinking I'd be hitting hooks or big pushes (resulting from the shaft not catching up with the club head), I put it in play yesterday during a casual round.  Oh Baby what a stick!  I couldn't miss a fairway and was hitting high piercing bombs.  This club is supposedly geared towards slower swing speeds yet mine is 105-110mph.  Indeed all the specs would indicate that it would help a slower swing but you just can't argue with results.  I thought the TS X-390 was my new found driver of choice and bought the XXIO as an interim driver while trying to decide on the exact specs I wanted in a X-390 (had previously owned the Tourspec w/ GD Blue G6.5).  The TS is now off my charts and I've suddenly become a XXIO fan.  Going to scour Ebay for a 3 wood and I've been checking out the XXIO Japan website admiring their new models!

I have an important match on Monday and have decided not to mess with the shaft before then since I hit it so well.  After that game I'll try a few different set-ups.  This is the first time I've hit a new club so solid straight out of the box.  The wrapper literally came off just before the round and I barely had time to even waggle it.

Didier

I think its funny how a 110mph swing speed is playing an XXIO, Most XXIO drivers are over 1 degree closed with whippy shafts. I have seen Tour XXIO drivers like Tommy Nakajima uses and they sit .5 closed to my eye. XXIO is the #1 brand of golf equipment in Japan even over Bridgestone. The Srixon line is for the better player in the Dunlop family. I really liked the XXIO Tour Irons they reminded me of the X-16 pro series with a thinner topline. The new XXIO FW's and Utilitys have great ratings but are very expensive. I do highly suggest the U.S release Srixon FW's too, they are cheap and perform extremely well.

I needed a new driver quick and jumped on a "cheap" XXIO 350cc 9* Non-Conforming on Ebay, w/ stock SV300 stiff.  Didn't realize it sits quite closed which is not what I prefer and the stiff shaft isn't quite that stiff either.

Anyhow, thinking I'd be hitting hooks or big pushes (resulting from the shaft not catching up with the club head), I put it in play yesterday during a casual round.  Oh Baby what a stick!  I couldn't miss a fairway and was hitting high piercing bombs.  This club is supposedly geared towards slower swing speeds yet mine is 105-110mph.  Indeed all the specs would indicate that it would help a slower swing but you just can't argue with results.  I thought the TS X-390 was my new found driver of choice and bought the XXIO as an interim driver while trying to decide on the exact specs I wanted in a X-390 (had previously owned the Tourspec w/ GD Blue G6.5).  The TS is now off my charts and I've suddenly become a XXIO fan.  Going to scour Ebay for a 3 wood and I've been checking out the XXIO Japan website admiring their new models!

I have an important match on Monday and have decided not to mess with the shaft before then since I hit it so well.  After that game I'll try a few different set-ups.  This is the first time I've hit a new club so solid straight out of the box.  The wrapper literally came off just before the round and I barely had time to even waggle it.

Didier

I think its funny how a 110mph swing speed is playing an XXIO, Most XXIO drivers are over 1 degree closed with whippy shafts. I have seen Tour XXIO drivers like Tommy Nakajima uses and they sit .5 closed to my eye. XXIO is the #1 brand of golf equipment in Japan even over Bridgestone. The Srixon line is for the better player in the Dunlop family. I really liked the XXIO Tour Irons they reminded me of the X-16 pro series with a thinner topline. The new XXIO FW's and Utilitys have great ratings but are very expensive. I do highly suggest the U.S release Srixon FW's too, they are cheap and perform extremely well.

Well, funny or not, it worked for me that day. It's also sometimes a result of mental approach - that brand new $$$ that you just pulled out of the bag is "expected" to give you 300 yards on average and straight down the middle... I once played a round in Taiwan with a set borrowed from a 60 year old - I think they were Cobras and the whole set was whippy, the irons were something like C9, tons of offset, and the putter was a clunk of metal I could have forged with my bear hands! Being somewhat of a business outing, I just went for the relaxation and the interaction. Being a 9 handicap, I thought I'd be happy shooting in the 80s but, low and behold, I ended up shooting 76 and took eveyones money :-) I'm now on the official sandbag list in Taipei!

To put it the XXIO perspective, I have been playing very little golf this year due to family reasons. That was the first round in over a month and I just wanted to get on the course. With that in mind, I took it real easy and the results paid off (with the driving). I have since played another round with it and the results were a little different. Getting back in the rhythm and being a little more aggressive with the swing (albeit having a smooth tempo), the shaft just played me like a noodle - it was all over the place. One of my playing partners who knows my swing well said he could see the shaft bend substantially on the downswing and couldn't believe I was playing that stick! Have had only one more round since then where I decided to leave the XXIO behind and play a GBBII 415 8*, w/ Harmon GZ X-stiff given to me by a HK pro. Have to say the shaft suited me much better and I was much more consistent. Still, I plan to reshaft the XXIO and give it another whirl. The contact feels very sweet and I won't give up on it just yet.

This is just a transition phase while I decide on the next $$$ driver. Having read your initial review of the Fourteen Proto, I'm giving it some serious thought. Have you been able to play it some more? Any further feedback? I really like the looks of it (on the net) and wished I could waggle one in the store. They'll probably have one some day in a couple of shops here but no way would they have a demo version :sad:

What's actually funny is that I decided to give purchases a rest for a while this year. Have sold almost everything I had (still got 2 nice Scotty Camerons to get rid of, and maybe my Tour Del Mar 3.5 350g. SSS 3XB...) and thought I'd wait until the end of the year or the next PGA Expo to look into equipment again. Of course, it lasted maybe the whole of one month and, armed with a healthy Paypal balance, I'm on the prowl again! Have settled on a set of Gold's Factory blades and wedges, bought a GD M2 Proseries Black centre-shafted (jury's still out on that stick) and am also hunting for a new driver. Still, I don't have the sense of urgency that I've had in previous years every time I see a new product and am willing to take my time before settling on anything. Have to say, I still absolutely LOVE trying new equipment :cool:

Didier

• 3 weeks later...

I played with one for a really long long long time 305cc Prolite 35X tipped 1" (notice the handle). That thing was so long. I played it with the first edition of the Pro V and drove a few par 4s (but that was 200lbs ago= wife+kid+50 on my own). I broke the shaft and upon recommendation put a YS6sx tipped an inch. Bad move the hook tendencies of the club came out. It plays exactly like an ERCII with no loud think at impact.

I had a new XXIO (350cc) with both a Speeder 757 and M-200 (I think) shaft. Prior to that a XXIO 305cc. They are absolutely wonderful and I used the 350 cc until it got on the NC list.

Guess I'm just a XXIO guy but there's a reason Dunlop whoops BS, Miz, etc in Japan. High quality s--t that is easy to hit!

Try em, you'll like em!