Yamaha 2014 Tour Model RMX MB Thread!

TourSpecGolfer

The term Samurai sword is thrown around too loosely when it comes to Japanese Golf Gear, just as Tour Issue has been in the USA. But if there ever were a golf club that resembles a Japanese Katana blade I must say these blades are it. I think theres a stigma when it comes to Japanese golf clubs that it's for the older gentleman, which does have merit to it as Japan does have loads of game improvement gear designed to enhance distance for that segment of golfers. But what the general golfing public doesn't understand is Japan has more than triple the amount of muscle back irons vs the states, many more irons with thinner top lines and soles and shafts that are stiffer than what's available anywhere else. That's not even taking into consideration the quality of craftsmanship, technology, and far superior materials. So do your golf maniac friends a favor and turn them on to JDM gear if you haven't already. As we all know it's a whole new world out here...

The all new RMX! At first glance, I was like not bad Yamaha these look alright. In hand it's a whole different story. I play the current RMX Tour Model CB and Im in total bliss but pulling the wraps off the new Tour Model MB is a whole other mother. A little weird at first looks wise but that's only the back cavity as when u set this sucker down I'm not sure if I can say that there has ever been a sexier blade made. That center cut away and bump at it's very end serves a very important purpose, to avoid head twisting at impact helping the ball stay on target while not reducing workability. I wish I could say I had the game to test Yamaha's latest technology but hopefully some of the few lucky who snagged these at launch can chime in later after the planet thaws this winter.

Due to demand Yamaha is kicking up production of the Tour Model irons and this year its 3000 sets produced. TSG does have access to a few more so head on over to the proshop to secure yours quickly, they are shipping now. I do have another theory as to why Yamaha has decided to increase production. Endo is known to be a very expensive place to manufacture clubs and Yamaha for the most part produced nearly every iron in previous years with Endo. This year with the RMX only Tour Model CB, MB are made by Endo so it could be they needed to meet volume requirements to keep the price feasible. Just a guess. Not to say anything else is wrong with the rest of the RMX line, they are still made in Japan.

I have yet to hit these so I can't comment on performance or feel really. The CB i have many rounds with and I can say hands down my most favorite iron in years. It's very forgiving, feel is superb and on par with the legendary AF302 the RMX Tour Model CB is an iron I don't think will leave my bag anytime soon. It will go down with some of TSG's most cult irons such as the ONOFF Forged, VG3, previous Tour Models, Yururi Flat Backs among the most notable in recent years.

Anyway enough garble from me, let's start with the #6 iron:

gallery_18_4_458505.jpg

gallery_18_4_788168.jpg

gallery_18_4_56685.jpg

gallery_18_4_333277.jpg

gallery_18_4_509305.jpg

gallery_18_4_838945.jpg

gallery_18_4_545256.jpg

Now let's take a look at the #4 iron:

gallery_18_4_582637.jpg

gallery_18_4_510990.jpg

gallery_18_4_1207004.jpg

gallery_18_4_796045.jpg

gallery_18_4_1139944.jpg

gallery_18_4_509305.jpg

The PW:

gallery_18_4_268243.jpg

gallery_18_4_237334.jpg

gallery_18_4_123992.jpg

gallery_18_4_242247.jpg

gallery_18_4_502174.jpg

So what do you think guys? These hitable? Love or hate? Ya it could use less stamping but how can you complain about the rest of it. I will be hitting these and able to compare them to the CB as they have the same stock modus 3 stiff shafts and specs pretty close. I will post my comparison comments here. I don't see how they can be nearly as forgiving as the RMX Tour Model CB but if it's more rewarding I may have to jump to MB's a few times a month.

Holy crap!! Mercy - I like!! These are sweeties with great lines. :tsg_smiley_heart: The stampings are fine with me and not distracting.

Gotta say, those are beauties! Look forward to your comparison with the CB's.

Range time spent with both the CB vs MB, then a full round. One more full round tomorrow and I'll post my thoughts and compare.

Real quick though, I shouldn't have hit these, I'm more torn than ever now about my irons.

Are these chrome or satin? These are really great looking.

Let's talk about that center cut-out and bump at the end of it that you mentioned. Is that to take some weight out of the head and put it back in at the toe I presume? Does that mean it'll be a little more forgiving on toe-side misses or is it just a way to center the COG because maybe the hosel is heavy? It's a beautiful iron regardless, would be on my very short list if I was in the market. Ahhh, what the hell, I probably will be once the Christmas bills are paid and the weather warms up a little. But it WAS 75* today, what am I waitin' for? lol

Just when you think Yamaha had super awesome 2013 irons, they do it again! They never let us down. Hope to get a range session in soon!

I've got a few rounds into the MB, Tatsuro and I had a great range session stacking it up against the new Yururi PDG, the Tour Model CB vs the MB. We took our time and will be postings our findings shortly.

I've got a few rounds into the MB, Tatsuro and I had a great range session stacking it up against the new Yururi PDG, the Tour Model CB vs the MB. We took our time and will be postings our findings shortly.

Looking forward to it.

I found the MB very harsh on off center hits. I'm sad about this as it has a great look at set up. (I'm not sure about the appearance on that "crack" in the back of the head) lol

The CB was very forgiving and very soft in feel. I think just as soft feeling as the MB. One thing that i found awesome about this line up is the consistent trajectory.

The MB had a pretty low trajectory and the CB has a mid/high flight, but in both sets, I found that the apex of the trajectory stays very consistent throughout the set. Good for controlling distance.

• 1 month later...

Did this review ever come out? I would love to see who won this shootout

thanks,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Just got mine in the mail. Playing 18 with them tomorrow. I first picked up the CB's which I did like very much but to me they were a bit too big. I like a more compact head (not Miura Tourney like ) but more on the size of AF Tour's or ADAMS Mb2's which I played for years. I will post my review as I am coming off playing the Yamaha RMX CB's a full 4 rounds and will compare these MB's after the same amount of rounds. I ordered a set of 5_PW and will be playing the CB 4 iron.

The size and look of the MB's fit my eye perfect!! I am hoping they play as good as they look. :atsg_smilie_punch:

I posted some comparison pics between the CB 4 iron and MB 5 iron and 6 iron MB2 and 6 iron MB.

Enjoy!!

post-16602-0-04972300-1395784950_thumb.j

post-16602-0-01513800-1395784951_thumb.j

post-16602-0-71288900-1395784951_thumb.j

post-16602-0-51603700-1395784952_thumb.j

post-16602-0-31837100-1395784953_thumb.j

post-16602-0-11620900-1395784954_thumb.j

post-16602-0-04032300-1395784955_thumb.j

post-16602-0-75019500-1395784955_thumb.j

post-16602-0-66690200-1395784956_thumb.j

Think you're gonna like 'em, Mike -- look forward to hearing. ;=]

Think you're gonna like 'em, Mike -- look forward to hearing. ;=]

I really do like them. Lower ball flight vs the cb. I did not think they were that harsh on mis hits. The blade length is shorter thank the cb so that probably makes them less forgiving. As stated earlier the look and feel of these were more of what I was used to coming from Adams mb2 and Epon Af Tour. Easy to work both ways and they are long!!!

Unfortunatley I was only able to get one round in with them. I had some unexpected expenses come up so thus ends the experiment and they are now posted for sale.