A-Grind Y-PROTO Driver

TourSpecGolfer

So it's more a matter of the look at address, if I'm reading this right...? Does it help someone whose miss tends to be left? And would it cause even more of a push to someone whose miss tends toward the right?

yes, more so a matter of looks, but also...

not really, because in reality you are supposed to "square" the face up at impact, really simply reducing the loft.

i guess technically you could aim left not square the face; and let the open face do the work and you could have a nice power fade that should land middle/middle-rightside of the fairway.

this might be hard to understand...but think of a closed club face, say 2* closed, on a 10* actual loft stamped head. if some weird way you were to square that 2* closed face to exactly 0* neutral you would in effect be adding loft on top of the 10* true loft....does that make any sense?

Edited by 604_skyline

Ideally I like to see everyone put the same type of swing on different drivers, not always possible but if you have a square head and switch to a 2* open head and put the same swing on it you will be headed right so a person who uses a closed face just needs to make more drastic adjustment moving to an open club face but still not advised as it's just more to tinker with.

If your bad shot is a hook ( sometimes ) I suggest square, if it's often I suggest open.

If your bad shot is a slice I suggest slightly closed like 0.5* but if it happens a lot, I suggest getting the swing worked on vs going 2* closed.

That's the way I've always thought of it, Chris. So it makes me curious when I hear people jump at the idea of an open face. Seems to me it's a question of how early (or late) you are in releasing the head during your swing, and that fixing a problem there would be the approach to take. Nicklaus once said memorably that you cannot start to release your driver too soon in your down swing. And maybe it's the early release that the pro's are so good at because I know that a lot of them prefer an open face.

All I know is this driver looks super to me. If it has the same soft thwack sound and feel that the 440 face gives off, but also gives the controlled feeling of the t.388, for me with my love of all things A-Grind, it sounds like this one might call out for another 7D.