200 Tour Smoothie vs Ridgie

medic170979

I have the opportunity to puchase either a TM 200 Tour Smoothie or a Ridgie, both in 15* which is what i'm looking for. The smoothie is quite a bit more money. Wondering what the opinions are as to which is better and if the smoothie is worth more money. Thanks.

They are both great clubs. The smoothie is supposed to be a bit easier to get the ball up off the deck. I have not really found that to be the case. Both ridge top and smoothie are very solid, long hitting, and fairly easy to hit off the tee and from the fairway. I currently have a 13* ridge top which I believe to be the best fairway wood that I have hit.

In terms of what it's worth - the smooth top is better looking in my opinion. Performance is more important however.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but I have a 15 ridge top with 869 tour spec shaft and a 7 smoothie with a rifle shaft. I find the smooth top to be much easier to hit off tight lies. The ball gets up alot quicker and I wish my 3 wood behaved like the 7 wood off the deck.

Depending on the price difference and if you're looking primarily for a wood to hit off the fairway in my experience the smoothie is easier to get airborne. That might be due to the added loft of my 7 wood, but I am really surprised that it would be such a distinguishable difference.

Smooth Top is much much easier to hit. Hits the ball a bit higher than the Ridge Top. The smooth is much user friendly and to me looks better. I find the ridge top a bit shallow. They both are great clubs. I would say that the 15* smooth hits it a bit too high for my taste, the 13* smooth with a good shaft is what I think is best for me. The initial trajectory of a rigde top wood vs a smooth top wood is noticeable. The ridge will hit the ball low and will move higher, the smooth will probably launch higher and then level off. I hope this helps.

They are both great clubs. The smoothie is supposed to be a bit easier to get the ball up off the deck. I have not really found that to be the case. Both ridge top and smoothie are very solid, long hitting, and fairly easy to hit off the tee and from the fairway. I currently have a 13* ridge top which I believe to be the best fairway wood that I have hit.

In terms of what it's worth - the smooth top is better looking in my opinion. Performance is more important however.

I prefer the Rail Tops. They are easier to hit for me than the smoothies and I don't need the Tour Version either. Truly a classic. I alternate them with the TourStage MR-23's. Keep going back to them though because they are very long and very easy to hit out of any lie.

I agree with BostonHack -Smoothies w their lower weight are very easy off the deck-get the right hi-kick shaft and stay w 13deg, the 15 deg was like a 5-wood. The ridge top tour has higher weight center and 15 deg would be good loft w this head, (bottom sole depth on the smoothies appear to have much more depth than retail 200's )

Thanks all, info was a big help. I took some of what all of you said and opted for the 15* smoothie. I do want something easy to hit off the deck that flies high, and it sounds like this is the club for that. I decided to stay with the 15 and not get a 13 for this reason, even if it may play more like a 4 or 5 wood. The club has a Penley Stealth 70 X in it which should keep the ball flight down somewhat and this should be a perfect attatck club for me on the par 5's. I really don't need the extra distance the 13 is going to give me because if I'm not hitting driver off the tee on a tight hole, I always go to my 2 iron. Likewise if I'm that far away from a par 5 and need the extra distance the 13 will give me to get there, I'm probally better off laying up and letting my wedges do the scoring. Once again, thanks all for your help!!! :D