driver head r all the same

radd

dont get me wrong some driver heads r longer than others.however i feel infact i think i can say i know that the shaft is way more important. i have a 510tp wi the 757 great shaft but not to everyone.i got tested on a launch moniter and thats wot came up. i play off scratch but somone off 5 6 7 may not be able to hit that club with that shaft. i have found an increase of 10 yards over a stock shaft but then when i try some other great shafts by fuji or grafa blue or adila i can actually lose distance.ernie els at the scottish open was talking about his 757 in a k.he said he tried lots of shafts anbut the 757 just flew when he hit it.i have found that but i dont know about others.im not comparing myself to ernie i wish.but wot i will say is that if u account for different club heads with different launch loft and spin the u add the swing with different launch spin speed tempo and acceleration similar to tempo i suppose.but you have sooooooo many variables that not everyone can use a "great" shaft.dont get me wrong i love the idea of this site being able to give opinions but be careful a shaft is only good if it matches your swing.

I don' t think scratch to 5/6/7 is any indictment of someones ability to hit stiffer shafts. If a strong ball player off an 18 handicap needs a tour spec'd Fuji then that's what he needs (and a few lessons on chipping / putting & course management!)

Usually the difference is in the short game and consistency not the long game with guys from 5 to zero

I agree about the head, 70% of the club is the shaft, the head just gets in the way of the ball, with heads it's more feel, loft and looks. You can make the wrong head choice and get away with it, get the shaft all wrong and you'll hit nothing. I've rejected killer distance heads on the grounds of feel.... it's the most important part of a low handicappers game is feel.... not distance, and feel goes hand in hand with dispersion.

Many guys here will drop a few digits on launch monitors to go with what feels good and tight.

i dont no many 18 handicappers who have a swing strong enough for a stiff tip or stiff shaft.and if they do then thats why there are off 18 but i acept 567 as an unfair comment however the shafts we r talking about r tour shafts that r very probalby too difficuilt for 5 6 7 or at least they wont get the best of them.im at st andrews uni on a scholarship and i only got the 757 when a i was told that better shafts would be better for me so i went and tried them

Two things I'd like to add.

1. Fuji is famous for offering shafts to fit all kind of swings. The trick is to find the right one. That means it depends on the individual which Fuji is best suited. You can have two scratch players, one likes the 757 while the other doesn't. Frankly, it has nothing to do with handicap.

2. It doesn't matter how fast one swings. Period. All that matter's is HOW does one swing fast. Where during the swing does a person create speed is so much more important.

Again, you can have two people with the same swingspeed. But the first needs an stiff flex and the other one is better off with an X-flex.

I'm surprised that there are still people who don't seem to understand this.

haribo

At St.Andrews University 8O........

Scratch at Golf, 36* at grammar & spelling........ :D

I know you're new here ....this is just a gentle ribbing :D

St Andrews Uni, Scotland Radd ???

Played the old course yet ??

Need to hook up for a game sometime.

Yes, there are guys who are swingers and hitters, handloaders and many other different player types... personally I'm a thrasher!

:)

J.