What is GSS or DASS?

Let's also not forget that carbon is softer than stainless.  So if you want the softest feeling putter, get a carbon.

True Ryan!

But the question is "Is soft feel coming from the material or the sound when we putt the ball? IMO it's Both and also Plating. Plating can make the best carbon steel the worst feel. for example Melonite plating. This why most putter in the past were gun blue for the best feel, however horrible maintaining it.

At the end I would probably looking for the softest feel, sound and no plating ( raw ).

I think GoingLeft is right...

I had the chance to speak a little bit with a french tungsten dealer (I am french...) who worked with Taylor made just after Salomon Sport ( a french ski manufacture) bought them (everything is now under Adidas control...)

he used to sell some tungsten weight for taylor made at that time but confirmed me that today, everything is made in china...everything...

concerning steel specification, chinese factory are now offering the most versatile production process from conception to milling / surface treatment...etc...

guess we have to find new business...

For tungsten YES! I know that China have a lot of tungsten raw material ( in powder form ). I'm not sure for others, because I just had an inquiry from a friend in China looking for a scrap metal ( a lot of them ).

Putt with a handmade TP Mills putter and check out that feel, why use stainless, one word RUST

BTW I work in a family owned CNC shop with 19 CNC machines, 316 stainless is 80% of our work. Also do all mild steels and that Inconel (hard sh!t).

Stainless steel prices have gone up 30% almost every month as of late

And I also do all the programming on our 3, 4, and 5 axis milling machines!

Putt with a handmade TP Mills putter and check out that feel, why use stainless, one word RUST!

EXACTLY!

BTW I work in a family owned CNC shop with 19 CNC machines, 316 stainless is 80% of our work.  Also do all mild steels and that Inconel (hard sh!t).

So Can I get a the best quotation to produce my own putter design? :wink:

Putt with a handmade TP Mills putter and check out that feel, why use stainless, one word RUST

BTW I work in a family owned CNC shop with 19 CNC machines, 316 stainless is 80% of our work.  Also do all mild steels and that Inconel (hard sh!t).

Based on the Semiconductor upswing, 316 is very valuable commidity. All semiconductor gad delivery equipment must be made of 316L Stainless steel per Semi-F20 Specs. Inconel is also used in Vacuum Applications. Every time I bring down prints to our machine shop made of Inconel I feel like I have the plague. Inconel is Hard and painful to machine.

A few things i have noticed to make a putter feel softer is Titan Ion grips but what would be the best is a Tourstage ViQ style putter grip like this one:

normal_gshow55.jpg

Maybe a Neo Mallet with a rubber plug somewhere in there:

normal_gshow54.jpg

This blue rubber is made by Sumitomo Rubber/Steel company. It is known best for its use in Symphony's across the world. I have also hit the retail model eld**k before and after it was finished with a Teflon coating. Pre-finish it felt like steel after the applied Teflon it was very soft with less vibration match that with an NS pro shaft and Titan Ion grip and you have a putter with softer feel than a GSS that was only bead blasted.

normal_P1010200.JPG

• 1 month later...
Chris,

Did you ever find any new info concerning the chemical differences between GSS and DASS?

No I think they are the same thing just from different places or manufactures. I didn't do any actual research on it but I found out the GSS is 100% from a particular area of a German Steel District.